Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Underlayment for Tesla Shingles ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're building a new house with a detached garage+studio. We're planning to do Tesla shingles on the detached structure. It is framed and we need to get something on the roof before installing windows, mechanical rough-ins, drywall, etc. Our hope is to use whatever underlayment Tesla uses (plus a UV protector like Deck-Armour) so that we don't have the costs of a complete tear-off and reinstall.

1) Does anyone know what underlayment they use? From @woferry photos it appears to be Firestone Clad-Gard but there appear to be numerous different products under this label.

2) Underlayments like these are supposed to seal around nails, staples and other penetrations. I'm assuming that our roofers will use staples and possibly also nails w/ plastic spread heads to secure the Deck-Armour. Any idea if having had these penetrations will effectively cause the underlayment to have to be replaced anyway? Even if only 6-12 months old?

A couple of photos of the studio here: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly – April Edition

Thanks,

What they used on my roof was CLAD-GARD SA-FR from Firestone, hopefully not one of the things they changed going to 'version 3'. ;) It only claims to provide a 120-day exposure protection on its own, so 6-12 months would be too long it seems. I don't believe mine was tacked-down at all (other than along the edges where the side trim was added), they maintained a >50% overlap, so at any given spot there would be at least 2 layers of the stuff, and it has a somewhat sticky back though it's definitely less-sticky if applied cold than warm. They also did what they called a picture-frame border, where they had lined the entire roof border, so the edges had pieces running vertically underneath the horizontal strips they laid across the entire roof.

I obviously don't know for certain since I was just an observer, I'd think so long as any tacks didn't end up where the brackets go they could probably leave them alone. If they did get in the way of the brackets then that might be an issue. I'd think you'd want to minimize the tacking to reduce the chances of any ending up in the wrong spot. So this is in Minnesota? I assume you haven't had any communication with Tesla regarding the Solar Roof install yet?

Reactions: ElectricTundra
Very helpful. Thank you!

Yep, the tundra of MN :). Communications have been interesting. I got a call on 15 April from a quite helpful gal who said that we were supposed to get installed this fall. She was going to have someone from their install group call to let us know about the underlayment. When I didn't hear anything I called and was told that we are not scheduled for this fall, there is no record of anyone having called to tell us that we were, and that we cannot talk to anyone from installation about what we can do prior to install, and, there's nothing I can do about it. Very frustrating. And so very different from our dealings with the car side of Tesla.