Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Underrated range on 2020 Model S Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed recently that my 2020 model s performance (manufactured in Dec 2019) with the 21” wheels is getting significantly better than the rated range. My average from a 242 mile round-trip last week from Palm Springs to LA and back was 252Wh/mi, with the last 30 miles of the return getting 107Wh/mi while going around 75 mph on what appeared to be flat ground (I believe there was a tailwind at that point). Around LA there was significant stop and go traffic where it was less efficient and closer to the rating (likely could have improved that if I had it in Chill mode). I had AC running the entire time and had it in Ludicrous mode, and stepped on it more than a handful of times. I did mostly keep it below 75mph. It was sunny with temps ranging from 75-90 when I was driving.

This is all significantly better than my lifetime average of 347Wh/mi. Much of that was short 10-20 mile trips in Jan-March in the Seattle area with limited regen due to cold weather and rolling terrain (plus lots of launches and over 80mph driving).

Is this expected improvement going from winter to summer? I assumed I’d get closer to the rated efficiency if I babied it and kept it below 70, but didn’t expect to get so much better than the rating (I think it’s rated for around 290Wh/mi). Anyone else seeing this?

I’m a first time Tesla owner and have had it since late December. Also, the Tesla app shows that I’d have 341 miles if I fully charged it, although I’ve never done that and have only charged it over 90% once.

FE8ADB38-B74E-42FE-8D08-CE9DA3DB229A.jpeg 5A371FA4-3866-4861-A375-8A412DA10391.jpeg

I got 267Wh/mi on a 55 mi trip last week, on 80 degree weather. I drove it in ludicrous like usual. Also have the performance model with 21”s. Impressed at the 100% efficiency.
Nice! Much better than I expected! I thought from reading articles that the best I could hope for was the rated range/efficiency if I babied it on completely flat ground and kept it under 60.

I’ve noticed recently that my 2020 model s performance (manufactured in Dec 2019) with the 21” wheels is getting significantly better than the rated range. My average from a 242 mile round-trip last week from Palm Springs to LA and back was 252Wh/mi, with the last 30 miles of the return getting 107Wh/mi while going around 75 mph on what appeared to be flat ground (I believe there was a tailwind at that point). Around LA there was significant stop and go traffic where it was less efficient and closer to the rating (likely could have improved that if I had it in Chill mode). I had AC running the entire time and had it in Ludicrous mode, and stepped on it more than a handful of times. I did mostly keep it below 75mph. It was sunny with temps ranging from 75-90 when I was driving.

This is all significantly better than my lifetime average of 347Wh/mi. Much of that was short 10-20 mile trips in Jan-March in the Seattle area with limited regen due to cold weather and rolling terrain (plus lots of launches and over 80mph driving).

Is this expected improvement going from winter to summer? I assumed I’d get closer to the rated efficiency if I babied it and kept it below 70, but didn’t expect to get so much better than the rating (I think it’s rated for around 290Wh/mi). Anyone else seeing this?

I’m a first time Tesla owner and have had it since late December. Also, the Tesla app shows that I’d have 341 miles if I fully charged it, although I’ve never done that and have only charged it over 90% once.

View attachment 554488 View attachment 554490
Model S, October 2019 build, 19" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires. Not a whole lot of miles thanks to the virus lock down. For the first (roughly) 2700 miles I was averaging 343 Wh/mile. I suspect a software update Jan or Feb changed something. Now with 3,500 miles my lifetime average has dropped to 317 Wh/m with no real difference in driving routine. A fairly significant downward trend in electron usage. Cold weather driving was pretty limited (not a tire you want to be caught out in the snow with). On three recent identical round trips of 125 miles (some highway at 75, some rural roads with minimal stoplights) I have averaged 240 +/- Wh/m. Indicated range on the IC has not changed but looking at the energy graph (last 30 miles setting) shows a predicted range roughly 50 miles above the rated range for anything above 50% charge. Tesla can't change the EPA rated range shown on the IC on a car previously tested but they can download software changes. I am pretty sure your efficiency improvement is real and not just temperature related. (And my car is always on Ludicrous setting).

Model S, October 2019 build, 19" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires. Not a whole lot of miles thanks to the virus lock down. For the first (roughly) 2700 miles I was averaging 343 Wh/mile. I suspect a software update Jan or Feb changed something. Now with 3,500 miles my lifetime average has dropped to 317 Wh/m with no real difference in driving routine. A fairly significant downward trend in electron usage. Cold weather driving was pretty limited (not a tire you want to be caught out in the snow with). On three recent identical round trips of 125 miles (some highway at 75, some rural roads with minimal stoplights) I have averaged 240 +/- Wh/m. Indicated range on the IC has not changed but looking at the energy graph (last 30 miles setting) shows a predicted range roughly 50 miles above the rated range for anything above 50% charge. Tesla can't change the EPA rated range shown on the IC on a car previously tested but they can download software changes. I am pretty sure your efficiency improvement is real and not just temperature related. (And my car is always on Ludicrous setting).
Love it, thanks! I took a big driving break as well from March to June.

Reactions: wreighven