Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Underside View on New Vehicle Pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered MYP and expected delivery July-Aug. We r eagerly waiting and consuming all the info we can prior to delivery.

Question: When you take delivery @ a delivery center can u get them to put the car on a lift so you can walk under it and inspect the underside?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

-stew

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: !igs and voip-ninja
Ordered MYP and expected delivery July-Aug. We r eagerly waiting and consuming all the info we can prior to delivery.

Question: When you take delivery @ a delivery center can u get them to put the car on a lift so you can walk under it and inspect the underside?

-stew
Haha! Most delivery centers won’t even let you physically inside the car until you sign the paperwork.

Guys/Gals - Thanks for the replies.

garumaru - Yes, it is what I normally like to do on my new/used car deliveries. I take time to take pictures of the full underside of the vehicle as it's probably the only time I'll be able to get a close-up view of the underside without jacks, jack stands, and my life insurance fully paid up. I find it's a good practice as it alerts the dealerships to the fact that this is an interested buyer and not just someone that drives their car into the ground and blames the dealership on crappy maintenance. My request has always been honored and I thank them for the additional time/attention they take on the delivery of my car.

Thanks.

Patiently waiting on my MYP order progression and vin assignment

-stew

• Disagree
Reactions: !igs
In all honesty, Tesla really just cares about getting the cars sold and in their books. Customer service is not their strong suit. You could ask, but I would be surprised if they accommodated that.

-stew
There's a precisely zero chance of them accommodating you on this if you show up for delivery and make the request. You would want to find out ahead of time who the manager is at the delivery center and try to get them to agree to this ahead of time, as this involves substantially more time/effort than they ever put into a delivery.

As others point out, they typically don't even let you get into the car prior to delivery and in no cases that I'm aware of will they let you drive the car before you sign the paper work, so them putting it up on a lift for you is probably not going to happen.

I would be surprised if they would "put the vehicle on a lift". Now, they might let you use a creeper, but Teslas sit pretty low, and I don't think you'd fit under it unless you jacked it up. And you might be required to bring your own jacks and jack pads. These aren't Fords.

After that, all you'd see would be a smooth expanse of the battery. No differential, no transmission, no lower engine. If you know where to look, you might find the electric motors, but what exactly do you expect to find? There is very little comparison to a gas car or truck. I'd be surprised if they put it on a lift. though they might loan you a jack stand, but your request simply shows you don't know much about Teslas.

If you care this much about ensuring the car is perfect, you should probably own your own jack and jack stands. Then when you get it home, lift it up and inspect the underside. If you find any issues, report it in the app like anything else within the designated time frame/mileage.

All,

Thank you to everyone for their comments. All r appreciated.

Roblab: you said "your request simply shows you don't know much about Teslas" Ahh but indeed I do.

Karide: "ensuring the car is perfect" Not exactly to insure it's perfect but to satisfy a natural curiosity. Jack and jack stands, yep, I've had them for years. Low profile too. That should give you a hint as to what I've worked on in the past.

What sparked this curiosity and question was a thread here of someone tracing a rattle from his back seat area to a missing bolt on the underside of the vehicle. It was fixed by service but the time it took to narrow down the cause was extensive.

I think a quick scan of the underside is a reasonable request. After all, humans were involved in the assembly.

Thanks again to everyone.

-stew

• Disagree
Reactions: !igs