Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's my understanding that Tesla is going to be shipping cars beginning in California and working their way east as well as giving order priority to those who currently own a Tesla.

That said, would a Tesla owner in San Francisco who reserved today and was willing to take a long range car (the first ones produced) get his car before a non-Tesla owner in Chicago who stood in store to reserve his car on 3/31/16?

I am an existing owner in SoCal who ordered online before reveal. Kind of late. I see this on MyTesla

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 12.42.09 AM.png

But someone in the US ordering now will likely get their 3 before anyone in the UK who ordered on day 1. Which is a joke. 2019 for right hand drive?!!

Fully agree. Tesla doesn't care about international orders. No other way to interpret it. Elon goes on stage and says they will be busy for the next 12 months to deliver the backlog yet those of us who ordered at reveal, back in 2016, will not get our cars or 3 years which means we are not even considered in their backlog. While someone in US who orders today, will probably get theirs in 2018. How unfair is that

I am an existing owner in SoCal who ordered online before reveal. Kind of late. I see this on MyTesla

View attachment 238391
I'm a Michigan line-waiter (reserved early in the day). My estimate for AWD is Sep/Nov of 2018. That puts me in a bit of a pickle as I would guess that the tax credits will be in phase-down by the time AWD comes out, and I'm really not keen on getting RWD given that I live in the snow belt. It would be a lot harder to make the numbers pencil out without the tax credits. Guess I'll wait and see for a bit. Given all of Musk's statements about AWD coming available in Dec/Jan, I'm surprised to see it pushed out to "Spring" without comment.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that Tesla is going to be shipping cars beginning in California and working their way east as well as giving order priority to those who currently own a Tesla.

That said, would a Tesla owner in San Francisco who reserved today and was willing to take a long range car (the first ones produced) get his car before a non-Tesla owner in Chicago who stood in store to reserve his car on 3/31/16?
Of Course a San Francisco reservationist will get his Model 3 first. Even if he reserved well after Chicago people.

More importantly he will get ALL of the Tax incentives.

Of Course a San Francisco reservationist will get his Model 3 first. Even if he reserved well after Chicago people.

More importantly he will get ALL of the Tax incentives.

It sounds like as long as you aren't waiting for rear wheel drive and you ordered the day of you'll get all of them.

Mine is shifted out by a few months, says feb-apr for the base version. About what I was expecting.

This is Tesla. Its their website. Why would they have this data wrong?
Have we seen any D cars yet? Have they built any? I don't actually recall. It could be they concentrated on rear wheel drive only since they knew early on that was the early production focus and that's why there are no numbers for the mileage or prices. Seems weird but that's one explanation,

But someone in the US ordering now will likely get their 3 before anyone in the UK who ordered on day 1. Which is a joke. 2019 for right hand drive?!!

Ramp Model 3 RWD.
Add AWD (+ performance?) now _mid-2018_.
Add RHD. Early 2019?

You really shouldn't be surprised.
USA, China and most European countries are LHD.
AWD will be very important for demand.

UK is in flux and Japan is tough for a foreign manufacturer to crack. Not really surprising that the UK will be a low priority.

Have we seen any D cars yet? Have they built any? I don't actually recall. It could be they concentrated on rear wheel drive only since they knew early on that was the early production focus and that's why there are no numbers for the mileage or prices. Seems weird but that's one explanation,
I believe at least one of the two cars used at the first reveal were dual motor, according to one of the drivers. One of the live-streamed passengers asked.