Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe at least one of the two cars used at the first reveal were dual motor, according to one of the drivers. One of the live-streamed passengers asked.
Really..... that's very interesting if confirmed. Every recorded test drive I saw, the driver didn't know anything about the car at all. If one actually knew it was a D, that would be excellent. On two I saw, they couldn't even tell the size of the display or such standard basic answers to questions.

But seriously, I would think all 50 cars they made in the last month were the same configuration, and the 20 extra ones were for the test drives, engineering analysis, Quality Control teardown, etc. (Trevor of Model3Owners mentioned this.) Unless there's more definitive data, I doubt they are making any other combinations right now besides 'Long Range' battery, RWD, and PUP.

Really..... that's very interesting if confirmed. Every recorded test drive I saw, the driver didn't know anything about the car at all. If one actually knew it was a D, that would be excellent. On two I saw, they couldn't even tell the size of the display or such standard basic answers to questions.
The video at the front of this thread has the quote I remembered. It's about 1:10 into the video.
Roof option video

Just an update here. I was a first day reservation holder. Last year I swapped my S85 for a P85D and when I did that I canceled my M3 reservation, thinking I wouldn't use it. Since then my wife has fallen out of love with her i3 and so a few hours before Friday's event I reserved a 3 once again.

I had errantly assumed that since I am a current Tesla owner and am in SoCal that I would have some sort of precedent over say a non-owner in Chicago. But I guess that's not quite a fair expectation and Tesla apparently agrees as they're showing me a 2019 delivery date. So the answer is no. Being a Tesla owner in California won't do anything for you if you place a reservation now.