Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding PGE/SVCE electricity bills/TrueUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought with batteries and or an EV, that EV2A was the only plan one could be on?
There is no requirement that I know of that you have to be on EV2A for any reason. If you find yourself charging an EV a lot and can time shift that charging from 12:00am to 3:00pm then EV2A likely makes sense, but since ESS isn't allowed to be charged from the grid if you have solar then it wouldn't make sense to be on EV2A.

There is no requirement that I know of that you have to be on EV2A for any reason. If you find yourself charging an EV a lot and can time shift that charging from 12:00am to 3:00pm then EV2A likely makes sense, but since ESS isn't allowed to be charged from the grid if you have solar then it wouldn't make sense to be on EV2A.
Any Powerwall customer may be better off on EV2-A simply because they increased the Off-Peak hours and batteries can cover the usage during the higher priced Peak and Part-Peak hours. The Off-Peak price on EV2-A is lower than any other currently available rate. However, if you don't have enough battery energy to power through the Part-Peak and Peak, you may be better off with a rate that has a smaller differential and a higher reimbursement for solar generating hours.

Since I kind of lost track in this mega-huge thread... what happens to the distribution credit on the true up bill (item in the red rectangle0? Does it just go into a trash bin? Is it credited on the blue-header B&W bill? Is it paid out at wholesale?

I'm on a CCA, so the generation credit is not included in the red rectangle number below.

The following came from my previous March bill. My latest April bill (the first bill of the new NEM true up cycle) does not include any mention of the $141.61.

1650737454721.png

Since I kind of lost track in this mega-huge thread... what happens to the distribution credit on the true up bill (item in the red rectangle0? Does it just go into a trash bin? Is it credited on the blue-header B&W bill? Is it paid out at wholesale?

I'm on a CCA, so the generation credit is not included in the red rectangle number below.

The following came from my previous March bill. My latest April bill (the first bill of the new NEM true up cycle) does not include any mention of the $141.61.

View attachment 796777
Mine goes by by at true up I believe

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Anyone know if it is possible to stop getting the bill through the mail? I used to never get bills via mail since I have paperless set up, but ever since moving over to NEMPS I don't see a way of stopping it. Seems like they recently switched over to some recycled envelope at least.

Anyone know if it is possible to stop getting the bill through the mail? I used to never get bills via mail since I have paperless set up, but ever since moving over to NEMPS I don't see a way of stopping it. Seems like they recently switched over to some recycled envelope at least.
Yes, just call the solar customer service center and they can stop killing trees for your NEM-PS billing.
1-877-743-4112

• Informative
Reactions: dailo
odd situation
My true-up is usually on May 21. Our County converted to Pioneer CCA on 1/1/2022. I had called them in December because I wanted to opt out. Pioneer said I would not be switched until close to my true-up and I could not opt out until then. Fast forward to April and I call them to opt out. They say I was converted in March. What? So I tell them I want to opt out, but they say I will have 1 month of Pioneer and be switched back on my May 21 bill. The last bill I got from PG&E was for billing ending 3/21. I should have received my bill for cycle ending 4/21 (under Pioneer) by now. I usually see Blue bill online at least by 4/24 and B&W a few days after that. Neither are yet available. And, if I'm right, I'm going to have 2 true ups - one on the switch to Pioneer which was 2 months early and one on the switch back.

odd situation
My true-up is usually on May 21. Our County converted to Pioneer CCA on 1/1/2022. I had called them in December because I wanted to opt out. Pioneer said I would not be switched until close to my true-up and I could not opt out until then. Fast forward to April and I call them to opt out. They say I was converted in March. What? So I tell them I want to opt out, but they say I will have 1 month of Pioneer and be switched back on my May 21 bill. The last bill I got from PG&E was for billing ending 3/21. I should have received my bill for cycle ending 4/21 (under Pioneer) by now. I usually see Blue bill online at least by 4/24 and B&W a few days after that. Neither are yet available. And, if I'm right, I'm going to have 2 true ups - one on the switch to Pioneer which was 2 months early and one on the switch back.
PG&E did this to me in the opposite direction when I got PTO for my Powerwalls. They dumped me from the CCA after PTO, with a true-up and then trued me up again a few months later when switching back to the CCA. The first true up cost me about $600 because it was in late winter and the second one wiped out $200 of accrued NEM credits.

PG&E did this to me in the opposite direction when I got PTO for my Powerwalls. They dumped me from the CCA after PTO, with a true-up and then trued me up again a few months later when switching back to the CCA. The first true up cost me about $600 because it was in late winter and the second one wiped out $200 of accrued NEM credits.
Similar, I'm going to lose about $200 in credits with the first true-up and another $100 in the second one

There is a new line item on the PG&E blue bill this month, a "CPUC Mandated Electric Credit" and instead of it actually being a credit they are sending a check at least for me.

1651872568252.png

The explanation is that PG&E did something wrong with the PSPS, Public Safety Power Shutoff, events in 2019 and were ordered to compensate customers. Then there was a lot of back-and-forth between PG&E, advocacy groups and the CPUC with the credit/checks going out with the April bill. You can read all of the gory details here: https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/adviceletter/ELEC_6399-E.pdf There is an even a bit about if customers don't cash the checks, PG&E has to try and track them down and if they fail then it escheats to the state (see SCO | Unclaimed Property)

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
There is a new line item on the PG&E blue bill this month, a "CPUC Mandated Electric Credit" and instead of it actually being a credit they are sending a check at least for me.

View attachment 801359

The explanation is that PG&E did something wrong with the PSPS, Public Safety Power Shutoff, events in 2019 and were ordered to compensate customers. Then there was a lot of back-and-forth between PG&E, advocacy groups and the CPUC with the credit/checks going out with the April bill. You can read all of the gory details here: https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/adviceletter/ELEC_6399-E.pdf There is an even a bit about if customers don't cash the checks, PG&E has to try and track them down and if they fail then it escheats to the state (see SCO | Unclaimed Property)
I wish I could get a bill. Bet ready for more blackouts

I wish I could get a bill. Bet ready for more blackouts

The PSPS events were PG&E induced events because they were scared that the lacked of maintenance on the lines over years and high winds would create new wildfires so they turned off large sections of the grid. They also used the grid being down to do other checks while the power was off. I think I lost power (pre-solar+ESS installation) for about 10 hours on one day.

I hate articles like the one that you linked to as there isn't enough information in there to form a real opinion. CEC, CPUC and CAISO thinks that there will be a short fall of 1700 MW over the year. What does that mean? Should I be afraid? I don't know as there is no context or any information like they expect that there will be 4, 5, 10, 30 days were demand will exceed supply for 1, 2, 3, 8 hours. Looking at CAISO for today the demand is expected to peak at 27.7 MW and the capacity is 42.3MW. The worst case demand was 50.3 MW on 7/26/2006, so does that mean we are looking at a 8000 MW shortfall? Mostly fear mongering to explain why costs are going to go up 4-9% a year from now on.

Reactions: BGbreeder