TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Understanding TACC (AP1)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by webcrawler, Aug 11, 2018.

1. webcrawler

webcrawler Member

Hello experts, I'm considering MS with AP1....

Can someone please share details or links around TACC working.

Can AP1 TACC handle stop and go for traffic Jams? If not what's the minimum speed it can operate at?

thanks!

2. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

Yes AP1 TACC can handle stop and go traffic jams. Another name for TACC is Adaptive Cruise Control. One warning, if you are approaching traffic that is already stopped, be prepared to stop the car yourself. If it wasn't already tracking the car in front of you it may not acquire it in time depending on your closing speed.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

Good warning from murphy there regarding stopped traffic. The system will require your interaction if you are stopped for more than 5 minutes. Otherwise, I have found it to be excellent.

4. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

It can definitely handle traffic jams like a champ, and would slow all the way down to a stop and get going again automatically. If it stops for a long time, like minutes, or someone walks in front of your car and is detected by ultrasonic sensors, it will say hold on the dash and requir you to tap the gas to resume going from a stop.

I would almost always activate auto steer as well in a traffic jam. It makes it so much more tolerable.

5. 365gtb4

365gtb4 Member

I use it all the time in LA traffic. It's excellent. When in bumper to bumper traffic i set the speed control to slightly above the traffic speed. It seems to make for a smoother stop and go. You still need to pay attention for the people cutting in and other annoyances. I also use the auto steer function. I set it at one car length.

6. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

As others stated it works very well. This was/is part of the problem. Some owners had become over confident causing accidents. I find the greatest advantage being in traffic, relaxing. (must pay attention though)

7. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Just got back from a 7900 km road trip and used the AP1 TACC almost exclusively in the countryside and big city traffic. It’s the cat’s ass!

Very relaxing and reliable.

8. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

Moderator note: Added "AP1" to the thread title.

Note that as good as it is, when using TACC and/or autosteer in stop-and-go traffic, one especially needs to beware of cars in adjacent lanes merging in front of you. Just another reason to be paying attention.

Bruce.

9. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Like everyone else said, it works great for stop and go traffic. I use it every day for that.