Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding Tesla Part Numbers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know what everything means in their part numbering system?
Their part numbers are usually #######-##-X such as 1234567-06-A
I'm guessing the first 7 is the number, the last letter is the revision. What is the 06 mean?

Thanks

Many theories have been suggested, but none of them correspond to the facts. I.e. I dont believe theres a unified part number system for all parts - except they’ve all have the 7-2-2 structure.. Often there’s an apparent pattern/system within a part category, and very often the letter signifies a revision like @BigD0g notes. But it’s not a consistent system across part categories. For instance: Good luck trying to figure out the logic behind HV battery part number history.

But yeah, generally the first 7 digits represents the part in question. But those change as well, e.g. for the MCU, where pre-december 2015 has a different 7 first digits than the post december ‘15 builds (the ones with LTE).

I guess this discussion is pretty meaningless without a clear definition of what a part ‘revision’ is, as opposed to what must be taken as a bigger change like in my MCU example above... Anyone?