Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding Trump

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that we are in the Off-Topic area hopefully we can continue to dwell on this topic.

Just to clarify one more time, my intention of studying Trump is not to blindly believe him. But to know what he is telling the other side and what they are listening.

I read many headlines and a few reports about Trump's RNC speech. It was painted as a meaningless disaster by the media. For the first time yesterday I actually picked up the transcript. For people who don't doubt the details, it is actually a very compelling speech. If this is what the other side is hearing and believing (with blind faith), then it's no surprise Trump has won.

Donald Trump’s dark speech to the Republican National Convention, annotated

OT, PS: Arguing about popular vote is moot point. If presidency was determined by popular vote then both candidates would have campaigned very differently... Secondly, I believe Electoral College is a better model. It basically considers each region as a voting sample and projects accordingly. If we have 100% voter participation rate then popular vote might make sense but we all know that's not the case... Win is a win. Its beyond point to argue about that.

It's quite boring to part-take in national elections in a blue state as I imagine it is in a red state. Few people I know voted for Trump as a protest vote, knowing that state will give vote to Hillary anyway.

As to Trump's speech I think it's telling what's not in it - there's no unifying message. He speaks directly to his base ignoring everyone else.

I read many headlines and a few reports about Trump's RNC speech. It was painted as a meaningless disaster by the media.

Part of the problem. MSM just cannot be trusted. I was about to read a story today on Trump's staff being "concerned" about his state of mind. Once I clicked and realized it was the NYTimes I didn't bother reading it. Why would I?

He speaks directly to his base ignoring everyone else.
LISTEN to the speech! He is talking to America. When he talks about improving the inner cities, cleaning up the inner city, combating crime there, I don't think he is talking to his base.
I totally disagreed with just about every policy Obama had but at least I paid attention. I NEVER uttered the word HATE regarding Obama! There is so much hate and anger today and Trump right now is just a convenient target. I HATE seeing my country tear itself apart like this.

But to know what he is telling the other side and what they are listening.

Trump is really easy to understand: It's a representative government. He representative what more people thought in those particular states that mattered for how we elect presidents.

He also applied a typical game theory strategy of "not caring at all" - in that he really didn't care about the other side at all.

Most people do care a bit. For example I wouldn't want to win by having to call my female opponent "nasty". This caring limits the payoff I get from doing certain actions and thus I don't do them. aka "I want to win, but not *that* way"

Trump did not have this limit. Not caring allowed Trump to engage a whole host of tactics that normal people would never do. In football he would get called for unsportsmanlike behavior, which really is a form of cheating, but in politics, we have no system to contain this type of play.

Hillary thought she could win and still care about how she won. This turned out to be a mistake.

So Trump increased his group, in states that mattered, using "not care at all" tactics, against an opponent that did care... and bam, he's president.

He's still playing this way, but doesn't realize that what worked in beating the electoral system game, is exactly what doesn't work when trying to get something done as president. And also, there are many many more refs on the field... and his team, the actually people that are part of the executive branch, don't want to run his plays.

I predict this situation, where what he does doesn't work, may drive him literally crazy.

I'm so glad A canuck was so happy with OUR president

YOUR President is the most powerful person on earth. He controls the most powerful army on earth. He has his finger on the button. He has the most say of any one person on earth regarding the destiny of all mankind.

Yes, he is YOUR president, but what he does greatly affects me and my children -- he (or she hopefully one day) sets the tone for the entire free world, including family values -- hence the reason I said:

I'm really glad my kids grew up during their formative years with Obama and his family in the White House.

It's strange that you fail to understand this as shown by the nature of your comment above.

You are right there Canuck. The American president has perhaps too much power in which direction the world turns, at times. And all you would have had to do is cross the border and vote :)
While true USA is powerful it sure lets Canada and Mexico worry less about building an army. :) Not a knock............. Canuck . Works well for Canada which is such a beautiful country, ice and snow not withstanding

I can tell you that half of the world is scared stiff of some tempered childish ego controlling the most powerfull army, cutting all deals and insulting everybody who criticized him or just didnt agree with him.

On topic, I think that putting import taxes will backfire on US exports, and might hurt Tesla's sales if the EU will put the same 30% taxes on imported cars. I am not sure about the numbers but roughly half of all sales come from the old continent? A 30% price raise will kill all sales and will be welcomed by the EU car companies.
It hurts to see a country that is so close to me, turn their back on the rest of the world.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vitold and diesel
BACK ON TOPIC.....

A Wall St insider discussing events with me today said he & his associates had hoped that "they" would quickly have taken away the President's Twitter account(s)....obviously and to the detriment of all, that has not happened.

This was in response to my anguish that by all appearances, he spends more time performing a self-serving agenda like castigating Nordstrom's over the Ivanka mess than he does being President.

If any one of you who have a better opinion of him than I do defends that kind of action....goodness gracious, have you no aptitude in critical thinking?

Your Wall Street Insider, unless their name ends in a Soros, is quite a bit richer now that the election is over.

That I cannot figure out. Wall Street Insider told me (probably the same person) that the market would collapse.

Even 'green' stocks are up. Who would have guessed?

... he spends more time performing a self-serving agenda like castigating Nordstrom's over the Ivanka mess than he does being President....

This has been said of virtually all modern Presidents. They goof off the whole time. 'Everybody' said Obama, Clinton, and the Bushes were always on vacation.

This is what the Press knows about his first 3 weeks of work:

Trump's First 100 Days | Fox News

Even 'green' stocks are up. Who would have guessed?
Well, I'm certainly not so full of myself that I'd say I would have - but we had that discussion, too: I said "Who ever would have thought that one of the very best-performing of all high visibility stocks would have been.....TSLA?"

Anent your other observation, he confided that if anyone in his circle of acquaintances is a supporter of the President, he's a closet supporter, but - that said - with zero exception all in Wall St are hopeful of One Thing out of the new administration and that is the gutting, beheading and drying of Dodd-Frank and all other such throttles on financial activities. "Clever bandits that they are," he concluded.

what liberals seem to unable to grasp is that trump really didn't win this election as much as hillary lost the election.
her vile history, her rigging the primary against bernie and other factors kept many of her voters home. if the democrats had a genuine/viable candidate to offer they more than likely wouldn't have lost the election.

You might disagree, but I feel like we all lost this election. I don't think the majority really got the candidate they wanted.

That's partly why a lot of voters stayed at home, but a lot of voters also stayed at home because of what the polls showed.

The only way to really fix that is to move to ranked based voting to give room for a third candidate. It also should help move things away from being so partisan based. Where everyone is seems obsessed with shoehorning Trump into a republican, and Bernie as a democrat. They were both protest candidates.

It's also a matter of choice, and responsibility. A country as wealthy and powerful as the United States shouldn't be left to choose between the lesser of two evils. We have the responsibility to vote, and sadly a lot of people didn't vote.

Hey @diesel -- Please GROW UP!

I just said this to you yesterday:

Understanding Trump

Instead of ignoring me, you hit me with another "Dislike". I checked you out and you have received 46 likes but given out 101 dislikes. That's worse than pathetic!

Once again, please just add me to your ignore list!!!
I am expressing the fact that I disagree with your post. Another example of the close minded left not being able to handle a dissenting opinion.

In the Real World, Not Hollywood, the Left Is Close-Minded, and the Right Allows Dissent

I am expressing the fact that I disagree with your post. Another example of the close minded left not being able to handle a dissenting opinion.

I already you know you disagree with everything I post. You've told me repeatedly -- too many times for me to even count. I don't have a closed mind at all. I know for a FACT that you disagree with everything I post. So why keep telling me? You can't even see whose mind is closed!

As to a dissenting opinion, please post one! I can handle it. In fact, I enjoy dissenting opinions. Some of my best friends are conservatives with rational dissenting opinions. In my profession, most of my colleagues are conservatives. I deal with conservatives all the time. I have no problem with conservatives, only grown adults who act like children (hint, hint!).

Hitting "disagree" to everything I post is not a dissenting opinion. It's teenage childish nonsense.

But you do get under my skin, so you can take comfort in that, as I am sure you do.

• Love
Reactions: israndy and deonb
Status
Not open for further replies.