Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding What PG&E Pay’s For Excess Solar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, but say the usage pattern is this:

First quarter hour: net generate 1 kWh
Second quarter hour: net generate 1 kWh
Third quarter hour: net consume 1 kWh
Fourth quarter hour: net consume 1 kWh

If the billing period is 60 minutes, the net consumption/generation is 0 kWh, no charge/credit. But if the billing period is 15 minutes, you have 2 periods with 1 kWh of net generation, and 2 periods with 1 kWh of net consumption. You get charged for 2 kWhs and then credited for 2 kWhs at the slightly lower rate. You end up paying 2 kWhs of NBCs.

Cheers, Wayne

The PG&E Opower data that you can download is on an hourly basis. It should be a quick thing to check this against the single monthly data to confirm if it is an hourly basis or something else. I would do this myself, but I haven't received my first NEM2 bill yet.

Switch to electronic only on pge.com I haven't received a paper bill in 10+ years.

I am on a direct bill (paperless) and previously never got a paper bill. But since getting on NEM2 I get the 10+ page NEM2 statement in the mail. Is there someplace I need to set a flag to also get the NEM statement electronically?

Last edited:
I am on a direct bill (paperless) and previously never got a paper bill. But since getting on NEM2 I get the 10+ page NEM2 statement in the mail. Is there someplace I need to set a flag to also get the NEM statement electronically?

I was on electronic bill before PW install. Looks like they revert you to paper after the install. Is the setting still set to paperless?

I didn't get my bill as that is paperless. Not sure what I had for other documents but now I am not getting those stacks of paper. What a waste of paper.

I changed my setting bacck to paperless and I haven't got the big stack since. Not only waste of paper, but waste of money. Large Companies can save millions in paper and postage cost by having their customers go paperless

Hnnngh so envious of the powerwall crew.
My goal is that once I've got the solar, the heat pump, and the powerwalls all up and running, that I'll generate enough excess to get a true-up cheque that'll cover the minimum $10/mo bill or whatever it works out to. If I can get to that point, the only money I'm actually paying to PG&E will be for my water heating bill (which will stay on gas for the foreseeable future)
From a RoI standpoint, the objective is to size the system so that you come as close as you can to having $0 annual true-up without getting a net surplus. You're better off paying the $10/month than sizing your system to pay for the $10/month at ~$0.03/kWh. Plus, the Climate Credit will partially offset the $10/month.

From a RoI standpoint, the objective is to size the system so that you come as close as you can to having $0 annual true-up without getting a net surplus. You're better off paying the $10/month than sizing your system to pay for the $10/month at ~$0.03/kWh. Plus, the Climate Credit will partially offset the $10/month.

Totally agree. However, the unknown is what will future rates be and rate periods. I'm still on EV-A1, but when I switch to EV-A2 it will change the Peak period from 2 to 9 to 4 to 9. That loses 2 hours of solar credit at Peak

Totally agree. However, the unknown is what will future rates be and rate periods. I'm still on EV-A1, but when I switch to EV-A2 it will change the Peak period from 2 to 9 to 4 to 9. That loses 2 hours of solar credit at Peak
Of course the company doesn't want the solar customer to get ahead. That 4-9 in winter is a killer when the sun is barely out.
What's next in the summer, 5- midnight?