TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Undertaking on AP, what’s the deal?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by khizrs, Nov 28, 2019.

1. khizrs

khizrs Member

I’ve noticed AP doesn’t undertake unless you press the throttle and it will go ahead and do it. It does however sometimes decide to undertake at what appears to be random. Does anyone know the methodology?

2. Cowpring

Cowpring Member

Mine undertakes, doesn't give an f about the law. Never notice it refuse to undertake, it just goes for it.

My friend has a Golf R that refuses to undertake at all.

3. Generator

Generator Member

Same with my Audi S3 with active cruise. It’s the only sensible bit of the car, everything else about it seems to be the same level of Golf R borderline unhinged, but with quilted leather and dialled back just a tad on the ASBO scale.

4. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

#4 VanillaAir_UK, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    It, at least FSD, will not undertake if you are on the inside lane.

5. Cowpring

Cowpring Member

Gonna test mine again but have been on the motorway before on the inside lane and I'm sure it did undertake.

6. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

It's not always an offence to undertake in the left lane but weaving in and out of traffic is.

7. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

from the EU manual

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. nightowl

nightowl Member

Autopilot has avoided undertaking when I've used it.

• Helpful x 1
  9. DJP31

DJP31 Active Member

As per the excerpt from the manual (always worth a read ;)) in post #7 the car will undertake at speeds up to 50 mph. This is to reflect the flows of heavy traffic where the speed will vary within the lane. A little tap of the go pedal will over ride and break the link with the car in the adjacent lane (which is highlighted as the car whose speed is being tracked).