Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Underwhelmed by the technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure if Flash was supported on the Linux variation for the car, we'd have video on the browser.

Kinda happy it isn't supported tho. :biggrin: Flash seems like a massive security problem. :tongue:
I guess this open to speculation, but I think that if video was built-in to the browser that it would only be enabled while in park.

I agree with the other posters that the Prius display doesn't impart any useful information and is an unnecessary distraction.

Likewise playing videos while driving is just asking for trouble.

Larry

I don't really use the energy app much in my car, but since it was discussed here, I thought I leave it on today during my drive to Half Moon Bay to see how useful it is and how it could be improved.

Here's a snapshot of the energy app near the end of my trip for reference.

image.jpg

The main function of the energy app is to give the driver a projected range based on average energy used over the past 5, 15, or 30 miles. Why not more? It would have been nice to see energy consumption for my entire trip. I now only see the last 30 miles of my trip, which is the part coming back (note the climb and descent on 84 between Highway 1 and 280).

Suggestion 1: add another 3 buttons for 60, 120, and 240 mile views.

This app would be really useful in understanding energy usage if it could overlay variables such as your speed or altitude onto the energy graph. That way you could see the correlation.

Suggestion 2: add toggles to plot curves for speed or altitude (in different colors) over the energy consumption graph. The units could be shown on a second vertical axis on the right side of the graph.

For future trip planning purposes, I would like to know how many rated miles I used between two points during my trip: point A just before the climb over the hill and point B at the top. If it could tell me how many rated miles were used (let's say 30) than I would know the next time to only attempt this climb with a minimum of 30 rated miles available.

Suggestion 3: add buttons for setting points A and B on the X-axis and show a counter with rated miles used between point A and point B.

If I can find the right iPad photo editor app I'll make a mockup of what I think it should look like.

Last edited:
I don't really use the energy app much in my car, but since it was discussed here, I thought I leave it on today during my drive to Half Moon Bay to see how useful it is and how it could be improved.

Here's a snapshot of the energy app near the end of my trip for reference.

View attachment 20106

The main function of the energy app is to give the driver a projected range based on average energy used over the past 5, 15, or 30 miles. Why not more? It would have been nice to see energy consumption for my entire trip. I now only see the last 30 miles of my trip, which is the part coming back (note the climb and descent on 84 between Highway 1 and 280).

Suggestion 1: add another 3 buttons for 60, 120, and 240 mile views.

This app would be really useful in understanding energy usage if it could overlay variables such as your speed or altitude onto the energy graph. That way you could see the correlation.

Suggestion 2: add toggles to plot curves for speed or altitude (in different colors) over the energy consumption graph. The units could be shown on a second vertical axis on the right side of the graph.

For future trip planning purposes, I would like to know how many rated miles I used between two points during my trip: point A just before the climb over the hill and point B at the top. If it could tell me how many rated miles were used (let's say 30) than I would know the next time to only attempt this climb with a minimum of 30 rated miles available.

Suggestion 3: add buttons for setting points A and B on the X-axis and show a counter with rated miles used between point A and point B.

If I can find the right iPad photo editor app I'll make a mockup of what I think it should look like.

While driving:
I want to be able to tap on the screen anywhere in the window to set a bookmark point for "where i am right now".
Then later when stopped I will look at the energy data between two bookmark points ( and have the map also remember the bookmark points and be able to show them to me in map view )

While stopped:
I want a slider to set the exact mileage displayed by the window.
I want to put in a USB stick and download the data from the current view.
I want a button to clip the data to the route currently entered in the navigation/last used in the navigation, between last N bookmark points.
I want to be able to save the current view for future reference.
I want the car to automatically remember the data for routes in the nav and then be able to tell me "last time you drove this route it took X kWh, this time was Y kWh, Z% better/worse"
I want it to display or overlay a remembered previous graph for the same route - and tell me how many kWh this route took last time.