Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Underwhelmed with Xpel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

oktane

Oct 25, 2016
USA
So I had my car Xpel Ultimate full coverage since new. With about 1000 miles I have a bunch of stains that won't come out (look like hard water spots). Even worse, simply rubbing with a microfiber cloth can leave scratches on the film. The film doesn't "self heal" in sunlight. I've tried hot water without any improvement as well.

This was done from a well-known and trusted installer. I don't get what is going on, but this seems worse than regular Tesla paint to me. When I get time I'm going to bring it to the installer to see what he says, but wondering if anyone has experienced this as well?

It's my first experience with Xpel, but my expectation was this would minimize swirls and scratches, and make the car easier to keep clean rather than the opposite.

I'm with you on this, I noticed spots on mine that I can't seem to get rid of. I also have a stripe type mark that I've been unable to get rid off even with hot water. Taking my car in to the installer when the weather gets warmer to fix the lights which they didn't do a great job on. Not thrilled as I paid more than most for it :(

Hmmm ... I don't like hearing this. I will be putting SunTek on myself. I will also top the PPF with a ceramic coating. The PPF should be self healing so says advertising. Try using a hair dryer on it.
Tried heat gun as well, makes no difference. Not sure how the YouTube videos show heavy wire brush scratch damage that disappears before your eyes with hot water, but light scratches by rubbing a microfiber cloth persist.

So I'm not sure if the site is going to compress this so much that it makes it hard to see but if you zoom in you can see the spots. I think it might be hard water spots on the paint before the PPF is applied. Will reach out to my PPF guy.
Note: I just washed this on a cold day and immediately hit it with my leaf blower then a new microfiber cloth.

1EB6694B-A6CE-44C4-97E9-40F6C16CC350.jpeg

I’ve learned, after installing the Twraps rear light tints myself, why the good ppf installers make the big bucks (my install looks good from 5 feet away, but up close your can see trapped dirt specs and air bubbles, etc).

Prep and attention to detail are key. Hopefully the light scratches and watermarks are indeed below the film so they can remove and clean and reinstall. The hood is one of the easier pieces to install apparently due to less contours.