Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Undocumented supercharging feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SSonnentag

埃隆•馬斯克
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
I normally keep my charge amount set to 75%. During a trip a couple of weeks ago I noticed that when a route is entered and you're supercharging for your next leg of the trip, the car will continue to charge up past your maximum set level in order to reach the level needed to continue your trip. I thought this was a really neat feature since I had forgotten to raise the limit to 90+% as needed to continue. It's nice that the car can override my forgetfulness. :)

if it shut down at 75% and you didn't make it the next leg you needed 90% for would you still call it a bug?
Given the navigation use the car had the information it needed to thoughtfully override the 75% normal limit. If Nav. was not in use then I would agree a bug
Yes, bug. I set the charge limit on my car in the UI. It should respect that -- period.

"Clever" is often misused when the proper word is "broken".

If banking software got my balance wrong, it's a bug even if it "benefits" me.

Yes, bug. I set the charge limit on my car in the UI. It should respect that -- period.

Completely agree - if more charge is needed to reach the next stop, there should be a popup alert giving the driver a choice of increasing the limit, or going with less than the car thinks is needed.

If this is intentional and not a bug, then the developers need to remember who owns the vehicle.

That seems like a bug.

Before, your set limit was respected by the trip planner. For example, if I set to 100%, then the trip planner proposed fewer charging stops but longer 40-50 minute charges at each stop.

If I set to 70%, then it proposed more charging stops that were shorter.

I would purposely set it to the latter in order to maximize my charging efficiency.

Reactions: noicepls
I normally keep my charge amount set to 75%. During a trip a couple of weeks ago I noticed that when a route is entered and you're supercharging for your next leg of the trip, the car will continue to charge up past your maximum set level in order to reach the level needed to continue your trip. I thought this was a really neat feature since I had forgotten to raise the limit to 90+% as needed to continue. It's nice that the car can override my forgetfulness. :)
I noticed the same thing recently. I was nearly cursing myself while I was supercharging remembering that I left the charge limit set to 50%. I checked my phone and it was continuing to charge up to what was needed by the trip planner.

Definitely a nice feature.

Another (potential) benefit is if you really don't want to charge any more than is required to make your next stop, it will stop automatically for you once you've charged enough for your trip (assuming your charge limit is set lower).

I have to charge to 100% on occasion and have left with forgetting to dial it back down to 90%. I would love a pop up alert on my phone that gives me a reminder that I am set to 100%.

Sorta off topic but I've been secretly wanting this feature for quite some time.
TeslaFi has this alert - you set it to notify you if charge limit is above whatever % you want.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I set the map magnification I want, and that changes by itself. It's supposed to be a feature, but I call it an annoyance.
Yes, the map auto-zooming has been really annoying.

And this thread has been really eye-opening. I didn't know it did these things about the charging limits and navigation. I'm leaving for a trip in the morning and I may try this out to check on it. First off, I'm rather pissed off that the car would go past the limit that we set. It's called a "limit", not an "opinion". I haven't seen this in action yet, since I always go ahead and move the limit up to 100% when I go on a trip so that it doesn't stop while I'm still on my way back to the car. Might as well keep it running while it's still hooked up.

But that would be really interesting if having the limit at 100% is why the trip planner has been giving me such horrible, god-awful charging recommendations on previous trips, so that I had to stop using it entirely. It's been telling me to charge to huge amounts for way too long periods of time in order to skip over Superchargers, which is an awful traveling strategy, and makes the Tesla traveling case seem like a really bad inconvenience to newcomers. So I've had to just zoom out to find the next Supercharger and set that as my next destination, which is like the "goode olde dayes" of 2014.

The other thing that is interesting and kind of messed up with this is that the car's buffer amounts of when it think it's ready to go aren't all that good, so I don't trust them anyway, which is why I make sure to charge a bit farther than it says, which is obviously why I keep my charge limit high when traveling.