Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unedited Mobileye’s Autonomous Vehicle & other CES 2020 Self Driving ride videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I brought this up in the other thread, but I'm curious how they're doing localization with Lidar to their HD maps. I'm guessing they're using Pseudo Lidar. If I recall correctly, they're using Pseudo Lidar (or something similar) to generate HD Maps from MobilEye equipped consumer cars. Pretty sure it's not real-time in the consumer cars, but could be in the AV.

Mobileye has pseudo-lidar, called VIDAR. And yes, they are using their cameras to generate their HD maps. Although, since Mobileye does plan to add lidar, they might be using HD maps that were generated by lidar as well. In terms of localization, the camera-only systems would need to use the cameras and pseudo-lidar to do localization within the HD maps. Once they add lidar, the final system would be able to use both cameras and lidar for even more precise localization.

I wonder if these systems are affected by bright light. Such as a Thunderstorm at night. Pitch Black out then you get a flash of blinding light from a lightning strike Or a car coming the other way with bright lights on

Yes, cameras can be affected by those conditions. That is another reason why lidar is good because lidar is not affected and will work well in those conditions.