Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uneven/laggy/misrepresented SOC at 110v

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed a weird effect while charging at 110 (in a rental). Here's the executive summary:
  • car had 70 ideal miles when I plugged in last night
  • this morning at 7 am when I stopped the charge, it read 111 ideal miles
  • after driving 8 miles to work it read 101 miles
  • a little while later (in this case, after being parked for 1 hr, not charging) it read 122 miles range
I've seen this a number of times before but wasn't sure if I was going crazy. Apparently not. From a practical point of view, could it result in overcharging the battery? I don't think so because I recall that early on it stopped charging at [reported] 94% as if only the display was wrong. At least once before, I told it to charge after stopping at 94% or 95% and in only a few minutes it reported 100% charge.

For trip planning it would be worse if it were the other way around - i.e. range dropping by 20 miles. Odd though. Anyone else seen this? Thanks.

Completely normal. I've done most of my charging at 110V and am very familiar with this behavior.

Any time you interrupt a charge in progress, the range displayed on the VDS will show as lower than it really is. The longer the charge, the greater the discrepancy. The car will automatically fix the number (increasing the range shown) after about 15 minutes of not being driven. This adjustment will happen even if the car is turned on, so you can sit in the parked Roadster and watch the range jump up if you're so inclined.

Completely normal. I've done most of my charging at 110V and am very familiar with this behavior.

Any time you interrupt a charge in progress, the range displayed on the VDS will show as lower than it really is. The longer the charge, the greater the discrepancy. The car will automatically fix the number (increasing the range shown) after about 15 minutes of not being driven. This adjustment will happen even if the car is turned on, so you can sit in the parked Roadster and watch the range jump up if you're so inclined.

Ah, OK - thanks for the experienced feedback! I was always charging at 220V/40A before and if the effect was there, I didn't notice it.

Thanks again.