Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uneven looking tie rod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently hit the curb with the side of my right wheel while backing up at 2-3mph and didnt think much of it until i came across some articles saying how much hidden damage hitting the curb can cause, so I’ve become paranoid. After reading these articles I noticed that my steering wheel can sometimes be off center by a few degrees to the right, and that steering to the left at high speeds seems somewhat resistant compared to steering to the right. Anyway I had a look inside at my suspension system to make sure there weren’t any obvious bents in the components, and I realized that the ‘boot’ of the tie rod on the right (the more zoomed in image) looked somewhat asymmetric, which wasnt the case for the left one (the less zoomed into image). Is there some kind of clear damage there, or am I just being paranoid?
Thanks.

Attachments

• A79897E3-74F0-4EA1-B49D-2AC294AC24D2.png
    A79897E3-74F0-4EA1-B49D-2AC294AC24D2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
  • BFDE7DEE-A98C-43DD-8C29-340E5A8E0D89.jpeg
    BFDE7DEE-A98C-43DD-8C29-340E5A8E0D89.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 66
I recently hit the curb with the side of my right wheel while backing up at 2-3mph and didnt think much of it until i came across some articles saying how much hidden damage hitting the curb can cause, so I’ve become paranoid. After reading these articles I noticed that my steering wheel can sometimes be off center by a few degrees to the right, and that steering to the left at high speeds seems somewhat resistant compared to steering to the right. Anyway I had a look inside at my suspension system to make sure there weren’t any obvious bents in the components, and I realized that the ‘boot’ of the tie rod on the right (the more zoomed in image) looked somewhat asymmetric, which wasnt the case for the left one (the less zoomed into image). Is there some kind of clear damage there, or am I just being paranoid?
Thanks.

just being paranoid. two choices. 1) you can stop worrying about it, or 2) take it to the service center and have them check it and do an alignment and spend a few hundred dollars on something you don't need to spend it on.

Reactions: NoMoreBMWs
just being paranoid. two choices. 1) you can stop worrying about it, or 2) take it to the service center and have them check it and do an alignment and spend a few hundred dollars on something you don't need to spend it on.
Haha, except the nearest SC is 3 hours away and the soonest I can take it there is in like a month. So just trying to genuinely gauge whether i should risk driving for a month or take some time off inconveniently and go asap.

It doesn't need to be Tesla- anyplace that can do an alignment can check the alignment on a Tesla. It's not special.
If you're really paranoid, then get the alignment checked. But it's not possible to tell via images, and it's' really unlikely you hurt something.
My neighbor hit a curb at about 15MPH and what was messed up was a wheel bearing, which you could hear. His alignment was still perfect!

Reactions: Dolemite