Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uneven Stance w/ Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC,

Ive had MPP Sports on my P3D. I recently had the height adjusted to have some positive rake.

Fronts are set evenly on both sides
Rears are set evenly on both sides

Using 2 finger method I “measured” the gaps.

Front passenger is higher than front driver (difference is minuscule, probably due to a 170lb driver)

But the Rear passenger is noticeable higher than Rear driver.

I tried measuring in several “flat” parking lots, streets, garages and usually got the same results.

Any idea what the issue could be? I want to get this figured out before getting an alignment.

Ride heights always need to be checked on a laser-leveled surface. This is why racetracks normally have a concrete alignment pad! Alignment racks are also leveled and calibrated for this reason.

That being said, I would try disconnecting your rear sway bar and see if the difference diminishes. We found a huge difference in left-to-right ride heights when the stock bars are installed because they are not true. You can adjust the corners of the car independently if you want to even out the ride height. I would get the ride heights where you like them before you get an alignment.

With what Ckwik240 said, when you corner balance a car it almost always results in uneven ride heights at all 4 corners. At that point, you have to decide if an exact cross-weight or aesthetics are more important to you!

Ride heights always need to be checked on a laser-leveled surface. This is why racetracks normally have a concrete alignment pad! Alignment racks are also leveled and calibrated for this reason.

That being said, I would try disconnecting your rear sway bar and see if the difference diminishes. We found a huge difference in left-to-right ride heights when the stock bars are installed because they are not true. You can adjust the corners of the car independently if you want to even out the ride height. I would get the ride heights where you like them before you get an alignment.

With what Ckwik240 said, when you corner balance a car it almost always results in uneven ride heights at all 4 corners. At that point, you have to decide if an exact cross-weight or aesthetics are more important to you!
One other thing that will alter ride height is how control arms are torqued. If control arms need to be removed or loosen for installation, and then re torqued with suspension not at ride hight, that can change this. I aways torque suspension parts at ride hight on level surface.

I would add to this that even if you prefer better aesthetics, I would still recommend corner weighting the car properly and keeping the cross weights as close as possible while achieving the look you want. I'm sure you meant this, but thought it important enough to make it clear.