Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

uneven tire wear warning message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, my SR+ only done 2000km, and recently got a puncher on rear left which unfortunately was not fixable, so had to change it to a new tire. I put in the same Michelin pilot sport 4 (although not the T1 Tesla OEM variant as there were no stock) - was assured by the tire shop they are the same thing apart from the foam inside the T1.

Anyway, a couple of days after, I started to notice the “uneven tire wear, thread low” warning message. By the way, the message doesn’t show up while you drive, it only shows when the car is not “started” and is in park (you actually have to go in the notification menu to find out), i only accidentally discover the message when looking through my old service request history and it shows as a “recent event” that i can log a call for.

I have tried all the resets and also driven it on freeways for over 20 mins to hope it will “recalibrate” as suggested by some US tesla owners, but the warning just won’t go away.

Anyone got some advice and idea on how to clear this? Apart from having to visit service Center.
Needless to say all 4 tires are in good condition as the car has only done 2000km, and I don’t launch it :p

Thanks.

Long story short, my SR+ only done 2000km, and recently got a puncher on rear left which unfortunately was not fixable, so had to change it to a new tire. I put in the same Michelin pilot sport 4 (although not the T1 Tesla OEM variant as there were no stock) - was assured by the tire shop they are the same thing apart from the foam inside the T1.

Anyway, a couple of days after, I started to notice the “uneven tire wear, thread low” warning message. By the way, the message doesn’t show up while you drive, it only shows when the car is not “started” and is in park (you actually have to go in the notification menu to find out), i only accidentally discover the message when looking through my old service request history and it shows as a “recent event” that i can log a call for.

I have tried all the resets and also driven it on freeways for over 20 mins to hope it will “recalibrate” as suggested by some US tesla owners, but the warning just won’t go away.

Anyone got some advice and idea on how to clear this? Apart from having to visit service Center.
Needless to say all 4 tires are in good condition as the car has only done 2000km, and I don’t launch it :p

Thanks.
Log it on the app as a fault and tesla will log into your car and clear the problem

Log it in app will require you to book in a visit to service centre though, are you saying they will get in contact and resolve remotely prior to the scheduled visit?
In my experience, tesla will always resolve something remotely as a preference. You will need to book a time within the app to visit the service centre, however they normally call in a day or two and resolve it remotely and cancel your booking. The only time you need to go to the service centre is if there is a mechanical problem.
On the model s there is a specific tpms reset that must be done after a tyre is changed….not that I’ve looked in a couple of years. There may be the same reset for the 3.

Reactions: SleepyPanda
So I logged a service request with Tesla, the technician called me and said they can clear it, but they would like to collect some data and send it to the engineering team, and they need to have access to the car, so a the gonna send a mobile service out to me.
The tires are fine obviously, so i think it’s just the software calculation being too sensitive, which they are still trying to improve over time.

So I logged a service request with Tesla, the technician called me and said they can clear it, but they would like to collect some data and send it to the engineering team, and they need to have access to the car, so a the gonna send a mobile service out to me.
The tires are fine obviously, so i think it’s just the software calculation being too sensitive, which they are still trying to improve over time.
They must have spotted something unusual in the data. Presume its mechanical as they dont need physical access for anything software related.

Some update for anyone that experience this problem as well.
So the technician come out today, he said I am probably the first one in Victoria that has this warning (whom reported to service centre). There’s nothing wrong with the car, all tires are in new condition. He has collected the tread measures across all four tires, and will pass it on to the engineering team to refine the algorithm (and clear the warning messages from that end).

So, if you come across this warning message and you believe it shouldn’t be there, then simply log a call with the mobile service, the more data they can collect the better.

Last edited:
Well, it “only” took 40 days and 770 miles, but finally the warning message has disappeared!

It happened about week before the service appointment I scheduled a month ago. I had asked the CS person to report this bug (“It is really bad for an erroneous warning message to be displayed continuously for 40 days. It is distracting to the driver and causes ‘warning fatigue’ where new REAL warnings could be ignored.”).

They replied “This is a known issue and is currently being worked on by engineering.”

Reactions: Leeroy
Any advice to remove "uneven tire wear" warning (short of scheduling a service call an hour away)? It's been about a month since I installed brand new rear tires (not OEM). Warning message goes away briefly after 100 mile+ trips, but like a bad penny, comes back the next day.

Come on, Elon! You can program warning over-rides!

They can’t clear it for me at service centre, they tried all sort of resets on their end and the warning just keeps coming back.
At the end they admitted it’s a software issue and hopefully will be fixed in future release. Although we need more people report the problem to them so it can get a priority.

one thing i notice is that the warning message on mine only come up before you “start up” the car. Another word - before I put the foot on the brake to “start” the car. As soon as i “start” the car, the warning disappeared. Very strange.

I'm in the same boat, showed up about a month ago, first available visit was next week at the service center. Warning still hasn't cleared.
And now it's showing cruise control unavailable as well as autosteer temporarily unavailable. Related? Hope this gets fixed next week!

Any advice to remove "uneven tire wear" warning (short of scheduling a service call an hour away)? It's been about a month since I installed brand new rear tires (not OEM). Warning message goes away briefly after 100 mile+ trips, but like a bad penny, comes back the next day.

Come on, Elon! You can program warning over-rides!
I have similar warning message (Uneven tire wear - Rear tire tread depth too low) after replacing my M3 two rear tires at Costco w. same Micheline tire as front, Is this tire shop issue or I should log on Mobile service app?

I had the same issue after getting my tires rotated at Americas Tires. Could not reset the warning so I setup an appointment with Tesla, they are literally across the freeway from my job, the appointment was for 8-12 and the tech arrived at 8:05am. He plugged into my computer with his laptop and after 15mins reset my warning. After talking to him for a bit he told me the warning will come up after 6200 miles and you will have to setup an appointment every time or until the release an update that will allow 3rd parties to reset or enter the tire measurement which will allow the reset. On my way home that same day the warning came back. I setup another appointment and was told to provide pictures of the tire thread and they would reset it remotely. 2 hours later I received a software update and the warning was gone.

This alert has popped up 3 times for me now, Tesla cleared it the first time during a non-related visit and then it came back. Scheduled a service appt in app hoping they'd just remotely clear, but they insisted on coming to view the tires and take pictures for liability purposes (note this is liability that Tesla themselves have created by adding this software "feature"). They cleared it but again it popped back up a few days later and I've now scheduled a 3rd appointment to clear it.

Just got a call from someone at the Torrance service center who asked if i could bring the car by (instead of mobile visit) so they could check it out which I definitely declined to do since that's pretty inconvenient. He said he will pass me off to mobile so i guess i'll have the alert until they either call me or come visit to clear it again. What a fun feature this is.

I had a puncture on the back passenger tire that couldn't be repaired, and had to replace it, so there's a 1.75mm difference in tire tread between the back passenger and back driver tires. This triggered the alert, so I took my M3 (Single Motor) to the Service Center to get the alert cleared and it reappeared as soon as I got back home. I contacted the service center again and was told that I would need to replace the front tires which are both at 4.5mm for the system not to continually alert me to uneven tire wear. So on this basis, any time you need to replace a single tire due to unrepairable damage - if you don't want to be nagged every drive you will have to replace all four tires! I did notice that in the 2022.20 update notes Tesla appear to be adding an option to reset learned tire settings - I wonder if this will help? I'll have to wait for my M3 to get the update to find out!

So on this basis, any time you need to replace a single tire due to unrepairable damage - if you don't want to be nagged every drive you will have to replace all four tires! I did notice that in the 2022.20 update notes Tesla appear to be adding an option to reset learned tire settings - I wonder if this will help? I'll have to wait for my M3 to get the update to find out!

Definitely dont buy tires purely because of Tesla's stupid alert haha i was told by a mobile service tech that a new software update is coming (not sure when) that will let owners clear this alert on their own. Apparently the big hold up is legal since Tesla created lots of liability by adding this alert, what a smart move.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximillan