Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uneven tyre wear (or not)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I changed to my winter wheels this weekend and when taking off the summers I noticed the inner tread of the tyre looks to be worn down about 4-5 mm lower than the outer. I've rotated the wheels on every winter/summer swap since new in 21, and the wear looks pretty much the same on all four tyres.

Could this be a sign of bad alignment? I forgot what they looked like when new. I think I have done around 23000km on my summers and some 15000 on my winters, but can't tell if they've worn in the same way.

Attachments

• 20221129_132756.jpg
    20221129_132756.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 20221129_132817.jpg
    20221129_132817.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 43
I did. Now, the question here is whether the tyres are supposed to look like this or if this is a sign of excessive wear that I need to get fixed.

For all I know, the Michelin pilot sport 4 tyres are supposed to look like this. I never inspected them closely when they where new and I have nothing to compare them with.

Its hard to judge just by these pics, would need to see more of the thread. PS4 tires should not wear excessively compared to other higher performance summer road tires. Rotating gives you the most even wear on all tires, however makes no difference in total combined km driven overall (when you add all 4 tire km driven), it does make it harder to judge where the issue is, if any. Negative camber + the weight of these cars + the torque + cornering performance due to low cog do have impact on tire wear. There are ways to mitigate this but it comes at a price, so it is up to you to figure out if it makes sense financially. What model do you have?

Last edited:
Judging by this its toe wear, it has to do with the alignment. This is normal wear for a tesla thats aligned to spec. If im correctly most run some toe-out which helps with more direct steering but generates a little uneven tire wear.

My m3 2021 is aligned before fitting the new tires and has the same and it normal.

It's a Model 3 Long Range from mid 2021. One of the last ones from the Fremont plant, apparently.
I do the wheel swaps myself and remember I thought the inner edges of the summers looked a little odd when I removed them last autumn as well, but not really enough to do anything about it. At that time I'd probably put about 9000 km on them. The winter tyres (Nokian H. R3) don't seem to exhibit that same wear pattern, but with the siping on those it's hard to tell.

My Model 3 drives and handles just fine, but I think I'd want to correct this if possible even if that means dumbing down the handling slightly.

M
It's a Model 3 Long Range from mid 2021. One of the last ones from the Fremont plant, apparently.
I do the wheel swaps myself and remember I thought the inner edges of the summers looked a little odd when I removed them last autumn as well, but not really enough to do anything about it. At that time I'd probably put about 9000 km on them. The winter tyres (Nokian H. R3) don't seem to exhibit that same wear pattern, but with the siping on those it's hard to tell.

My Model 3 drives and handles just fine, but I think I'd want to correct this if possible even if that means dumbing down the handling slightly.
Mines the same, Q2 2021 LR Fremont with the 82kwh pack.

Reactions: expat