Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uneven Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 Model S 60 rear wheel drive with air suspension on 19" inches...

Car came with factory Goodyear Eagle Touring (Foam inside)... My car has about about 16k miles on it... I took the car in today to America's Tire to get a patch repair done on my front driver side due to a nail. Shop guy measured the thread and said that I have uneven wear on my tires... The front measured at 7/32, and the rears a 3/32... I rotated my tires once before at around 6k miles, and at the time the wear was pretty even. Told the guy to go ahead and rotate my tires so I have a good thread on my rear, while I decide on what to do.

Any Idea what happen? My driving habit is pretty normal. Floored it once in a while but not all the time. I do drive and set my suspension on low at about 25% of my driving.

Now I'm debating if I should replace the two worn with the same tires, or if I should I replace all 4 with a different brand tires that I can get better mileage out of it.

I think camber adjustment would cause uneven wear across the tire, not front to rear. If the tires are all evenly worn across the tread generally alignment is not the problem. Some causes for more wear on rear tires on rear wheel drive car are not so easily spotted. Construction work, especially sand on the road, rain, hot weather and of course teenagers.

One thing to consider . . . Model S RWD wears rear tires faster than fronts due to Regen on rear wheels. This is contrary to traditional ICE which usually wears the front wheels faster (due to steering). What you save in brake pad replacement can help cover more frequent tire replacement. With my stock Michelin's (2013 S85), I am getting ~25,000 miles per set with proper rotation.