Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected 100% volume since last update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I
My phone was the issue. I ended up updating it and now I have no issues :)
If you have an iPhone, the issue is still there. You can reproduce it by doing this:
  1. Set "Ringer and Alerts" to at least 80% (make sure silent mode is off)
  2. Select bluetooth source in your Tesla and play some music
  3. Adjust the volume to a low setting
  4. Pause the music
  5. Place your iPhone to charge (this causes a charging alert noise)
  6. Switch audio source to FM radio
FM radio now plays at a loud volume.

I'm still encountering this issue too, sometimes loud enough to be physically painful, which I would never want!
Is there any option to universally limit the maximum volume that the tesla speakers can produce? Similarly to the "Reduce Loud Sounds" setting in iOS settings, which lets you set a maximum decibel level it will never surpass?

Edit: Found another thread which has another suggestion for preventing the phone from changing the car's volume, by setting the car's audio type to "Speaker" in the bluetooth settings, so hopefully that helps somewhat, though I'd still be a lot more comfortable with an option to completely limit the maximum possible volume, if such a setting exists or could be added.

Last edited:
@father_of_6 yes, that seems to be the problem. The same thing is happening with my wife’s iPhone 13 Pro Max since the xmas update.

As @freeAgent and @Randino mentioned, you can lower the Ringer and Alerts volume as a band-aid to save your eardrums. The issue appears to be that the Ringer/Alert volume is set higher than your current music sound level, the phone receives a notification or is locked/unlocked, the volume of the stereo is then set to the Ringer/Alert volume (which may be higher than your music volume up to 100%), and then your music becomes deafening.

@adayley had a good post quite some time ago in this thread:
FWIW, I have had my iPhone ringer and alert volume set to about 60% and I have been blasted at 100% volume by my 2019 M3 a few times, only once when playing from my phone, and a few times when playing the radio.