Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected 100% volume since last update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the M3 for almost a year. Since the last update, I've had the music volume blast at 100% on 3 different occasions. This has never happened before the latest update.

Each time, I pressed the left scroll wheel to play the music and when it started, it was on full blast. It's incredibly startling and probably damaging to my ears and speakers.

I'm unsure how the volume got to 100% when this happened. I may have been on a call with the volume at 100%, then switched back to music... but I'm not certain.

Has anyone else experienced this recently, or is this just a major coincidence?

Reactions: APotatoGod
Few folks had this problem several years back. I believe it was determined that something was emulating a touch in the lower right corned of the screen triggering the volume up button. AFAIR it was either a faulty screen digitizer or a SW bug.

I've had the M3 for almost a year. Since the last update, I've had the music volume blast at 100% on 3 different occasions. This has never happened before the latest update.

Each time, I pressed the left scroll wheel to play the music and when it started, it was on full blast. It's incredibly startling and probably damaging to my ears and speakers.

I'm unsure how the volume got to 100% when this happened. I may have been on a call with the volume at 100%, then switched back to music... but I'm not certain.

Has anyone else experienced this recently, or is this just a major coincidence?
Did you manage to fix this. I am having the same issue on my Y

Try changing the device type on the bluetooth settings of your phone. Mine was going all the way up too. the car is trying to match the volume on your phone...
This sounds promising, but what works worse and what works better? Right now my car is listed as “car stereo” device type. I changed it to ”other” but for all I know that will be worse than “car stereo”…

Is this an iPhone or an Android phone? I know on Android there is a setting where you can choose whether the the phone syncs its volume with external devices or whether external devices manage their own volume separately. Perhaps that setting would help? I think it's in the "Developer Settings" section.

I haven't tried the latest update but in 4 years running a Model 3 with Android I've never had a problem like that.

This started happening to me with the infamous v11/Christmas update. It also seems to jump up to 100% volume whenever I get a notification noise on my phone. It's awful and extremely annoying. I've tried disconnecting and removing my phone's Bluetooth connection/profile and re-adding it: no luck. I'm on an iPhone SE 2020 w/ iOS 15.2. I'm not sure what I can do about it.

@pipp did changing the Bluetooth device type from Car Stereo to "Other" help at all?

This started happening to me with the infamous v11/Christmas update. It also seems to jump up to 100% volume whenever I get a notification noise on my phone. It's awful and extremely annoying. I've tried disconnecting and removing my phone's Bluetooth connection/profile and re-adding it: no luck. I'm on an iPhone SE 2020 w/ iOS 15.2. I'm not sure what I can do about it.

@pipp did changing the Bluetooth device type from Car Stereo to "Other" help at all?

Can’t be sure but there hasn’t been any problem since the change, and I have been turning the music on a bit lately…

• Disagree
Reactions: Brittanyp7447
I was able to resolve my problem somehow, but I'm not quite sure what did it. It was probably something I did while going into the "Sounds & Haptics" section of the iOS settings, enabling "Change with Buttons" on the Ringer and Alerts Volume, adjusting it to about 30%, and then disabling "Change with Buttons." After I did that it seems to be fixed.

I did not change the Bluetooth device type, so at least in my case that was unrelated to this issue.

Reactions: 011Charger
You didn’t resolve the problem. What you did was reduce your ring volume, which will affect your iPhone even when you’re not in your car. Additionally, your Tesla is still randomly switching between two different iPhone volume levels, depending on whether music or alerts last came from your phone. So if you listen to music, adjust the volume, pause music, get an alert, and then switch to FM radio, your car will not be at the same volume level it was when you were last listening to music. The car still switched to your ringer volume level.

@Randino Not sure I follow. Are you saying the problem still exists? And it's caused by the car inheriting its volume settings from the phone from the wrong media?

It definitely *seems* like that's part of the problem... make a phone call at a loud volume, switch back to music... loud volume is applied to music... lose hearing.

@father_of_6 yes, that seems to be the problem. The same thing is happening with my wife’s iPhone 13 Pro Max since the xmas update.

As @freeAgent and @Randino mentioned, you can lower the Ringer and Alerts volume as a band-aid to save your eardrums. The issue appears to be that the Ringer/Alert volume is set higher than your current music sound level, the phone receives a notification or is locked/unlocked, the volume of the stereo is then set to the Ringer/Alert volume (which may be higher than your music volume up to 100%), and then your music becomes deafening.

@adayley had a good post quite some time ago in this thread:

iPhone "Max Volume bug" and fixes yet

I have a theory supported by your observation about locking the phone. I have a M3 and my wife has a MY. We also both have iPhones. We both experience this volume problem. Here is the theory:
- The iPhone has a volume setting for music and a separate volume setting for the system sounds, like the lock sound.
- - The indication that there are separate settings is at “Settings > Sound & Haptics > Ringer and Alerts > Change with Buttons”
- When your phone is paired with an external Bluetooth device, like the car, it shares volume settings with the device.
- - By share I mean the device can be used to turn the volume up and down. And turning the volume up and down on the phone changes the volume on the device.
- Theory: If your ringer volume is much higher than your music volume, sudden jumps in volume will occur in the car.
How it works: The lock sound is “ringer” volume so you lock your phone, the phone makes the lock sound and volume loud in the car. Now your music is blasting because the car sends the now louder volume setting back to your phone which has gone back to the music volume setting being active.

This theory holds true for me. I keep my ringer volume low, at the risk of missing calls and alerts.

1644965234339.png

Set your ringer volume independent of the volume buttons on the phone. Do this by setting “Change with Buttons” off, as above, and then use the slider to set your ringer volume lower. This has helped me keep from killing my ears in my car.

Last edited:
Reactions: freeAgent