Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected acceleration while braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how do u guys adapt driving car with and without regen? I have not received my tesla but got couple loaner before, the regen is something that I am not used to. I will be driving tesla, fiat and my wife's MDX

I drive my S and also an electric Fiat with different regen (only when using the brake pedal). I adjust almost instantly. But as soon as I drive an automatic ICE car that coasts, it surprises me for the first 0.5 second. Sort of like when you have no regen due to high SoC, surprising for a brief moment :)

On many cars with regen and ABS, the ABS take precedent. So when a wheel RPM drops rapidly without the others dropping, it shuts off the regen and kicks into ABS mode. What it feels like, is the car jumping forward, when all it really is, is the regen shutting off to allow the ABS to have full control of traction.

I have no idea if that's what happened, but you could experiment with a couple sheets of smooth cardboard or thick plastic. Drive towards them so one wheel will hit the sheets, then apply brakes firmly right before you hit them with your front tire.

I have noticed the same. I'm so used to regen. So when it's cuts out a milliseconds or so it's feels like the car accelerate.
It only happens if you just touching the brake pedal with tiny tiny force :D
Just like putting the car in neutral for a second under heavy regen. Feels like acceleration :)

how do u guys adapt driving car with and without regen? I have not received my tesla but got couple loaner before, the regen is something that I am not used to. I will be driving tesla, fiat and my wife's MDX

Depends on the vehicle my dads Nissan Pickup (D21) from the 90s has such low gearing and poor aero and poor rolling resitance it engine brakes/aero brakes harder than most EVs

But any car with LRR tires, average aero and no regen will feel super odd to me.

Heck at some charge/temp combinations the Leaf goes no regen and I hate it for a couple of miles until the regen comes back.

as to the traction control/ABS vs bump thing the OP mentioned I've seen it on Prius and Leaf. Happens often enough that it doesn't freak me out. Helped that I'd read about it online before I experienced it with one of my cars.

Reactions: gabeincal
Had a couple uneven potholes in the intersection (it was a little rough to cross) and while braking, I felt a short bit of acceleration like I left the cruise on or something similar, except my right foot was firmly (and only) on the brake pedal.
I had this happen to me too. I hit a pothole right before a red light, and ended up a few feet in the intersection. Scared the living *sugar* out of me, but thankfully there was no traffic.

I didn't have enough time to react and hit the brakes even harder, it felt like the car was flying into the intersection. Once all wheels made contact again, the car started to brake strongly again.

I attributed it to some form of stability control with the regen turning off when one of the wheels wasn't touching the ground (pothole). Don't know. But ever since I've been more careful braking around potholes.

And didn't read the comments, someone explained it in post 2, heh. Makes sense.

Last edited:
My wife has an ICE, and we sometimes swap cars. Once you get used it, it's like riding a bike. You can go from a car with regen to one without and back fairly easily.

What I still can't get used to, it turning her car off. After getting the Tesla, twice, twice so far! I've left her car running walked out of it and went to run an errand only to come back with the car still running (keys were with me, but still, anyone can get in and drive away).

I had this happen to me too. I hit a pothole right before a red light, and ended up a few feet in the intersection. Scared the living *sugar* out of me, but thankfully there was no traffic.

There's a driveway at my son's school with a funny hump...I've had a wheel break traction entering that driveway, and had similar loss of braking. I finally realized what was happening when I lightly scraped the hump one time (OK maybe it was a couple of times until I caught on). Now I just have the car raise the suspension to "Very High" (yay for SAS + geofencing), and all is well.

Bruce.

I know most of you will doubt what I'm going to share here.

I was in San Jose, getting off the freeway, taking a left light turn from the offramp and then was doing about 25-30mph when I got to an intersection that had stopped traffic on the opposite side (cruise and autopilot was off). I had a green light, so crossed the intersection and while crossing, started to brake. Had a couple uneven potholes in the intersection (it was a little rough to cross) and while braking, I felt a short bit of acceleration like I left the cruise on or something similar, except my right foot was firmly (and only) on the brake pedal. Based on what I know about cars and specifically Tesla's, the car should ignore any acceleration signal as the brake overrides that signal. Yet, while braking, I would swear that the car accelerated by about 5mph in a very short period of time (probably 0.x seconds). It felt like somebody punched the accelerator for me. I know.. I know.. You'll all be pointing at me for having my (US size 7 :) ) foot half on the 'gas' pedal, or blame me for being drunk, but I know it happened.. After that intersection, I put my left foot on the brake and tried to accelerate with my right foot - which of course the car ignored as I was braking. Called the Palo Alto service center and told them the exact timestamp to look into logs and anything else they can find. Obviously, i'm not too worried that the car will suddenly kill me, but it is not a nice feeling and something somewhere is buggy... Anyone else experienced something like this?
It will be interesting for us all for you to report back on what the service center discovers, even if it is just the regen turning off.

I've seen something similar in both a Leaf and a smart car, both times with wet train tracks.

Explanations here are consistent with what you saw regarding loss of traction and how it feels in the car itself--it was a much more pronounced difference in my Leaf (regen braking) than in my smart car.

I've had this happen once to me, and twice to my wife, over the past few months. However, I can't explain mine by any slick pavement or other road features that would engage ABS. The time it happened to me, I was coming down a hill approaching an intersection to turn right. Since the speed limit was 55 (and down a hill), I had been full regen for a good while, but needed to apply the brakes. Slowly pressed the brake pedal down, felt the additional deceleration because of the brakes, and then poof, stop decelerating. No change in pedal resistance. My reaction in this instance was to take my foot off the brake, and then press it again. This quickly slowed the car down, and I was able to make the right turn as intended, no overshoot. To me, it felt more like the brakes lost grip, versus regen stopping, but since it's only happened to me once, I can't say with any certainty. For reference, I have a Dec 2016 AP2 S60 with EAP. I dropped it off at the service center this morning for a host of small issues, but this was the main reason. I noted down the date and approximate time 2 of the instances happened, hoping they can look at the logs and see if anything out of the ordinary occurred. Hopefully they find something!

I've had this happen once to me, and twice to my wife, over the past few months. However, I can't explain mine by any slick pavement or other road features that would engage ABS. The time it happened to me, I was coming down a hill approaching an intersection to turn right. Since the speed limit was 55 (and down a hill), I had been full regen for a good while, but needed to apply the brakes. Slowly pressed the brake pedal down, felt the additional deceleration because of the brakes, and then poof, stop decelerating. No change in pedal resistance. My reaction in this instance was to take my foot off the brake, and then press it again. This quickly slowed the car down, and I was able to make the right turn as intended, no overshoot. To me, it felt more like the brakes lost grip, versus regen stopping, but since it's only happened to me once, I can't say with any certainty. For reference, I have a Dec 2016 AP2 S60 with EAP. I dropped it off at the service center this morning for a host of small issues, but this was the main reason. I noted down the date and approximate time 2 of the instances happened, hoping they can look at the logs and see if anything out of the ordinary occurred. Hopefully they find something!

Let us know what they said. They never came back to me on this so maybe I should chase.. And don't worry, some forum members will tell you that your foot wasn't on the pedal!

Let us know what they said. They never came back to me on this so maybe I should chase.. And don't worry, some forum members will tell you that your foot wasn't on the pedal!
Took it into the Burbank SC, and spoke with one of the advisors who had been there for 3 years. Said he had never personally had anyone with the same issue as me, but had anecdotally heard about if from others and through forums, specifically the ABS overriding regen. He said they would check the brake system out, as well as take it for a test drive (which they did, car had 17 more miles on it than when I dropped it off, same day turnaround). They said everything functioned as designed, which I always think is an entertaining CYA, since poor designs work as designed, but I digress. No real outcome, just something I'll have to be mindful of. Luckily my wife has also had it happen to her, so we are both aware of the possibility and should know how to react. I'll report back if it happens again, next time paying attention to any road features that could have triggered ABS override, as that seems like the leading theory.

I know most of you will doubt what I'm going to share here.

I was in San Jose, getting off the freeway, taking a left light turn from the offramp and then was doing about 25-30mph when I got to an intersection that had stopped traffic on the opposite side (cruise and autopilot was off). I had a green light, so crossed the intersection and while crossing, started to brake. Had a couple uneven potholes in the intersection (it was a little rough to cross) and while braking, I felt a short bit of acceleration like I left the cruise on or something similar, except my right foot was firmly (and only) on the brake pedal. Based on what I know about cars and specifically Tesla's, the car should ignore any acceleration signal as the brake overrides that signal. Yet, while braking, I would swear that the car accelerated by about 5mph in a very short period of time (probably 0.x seconds). It felt like somebody punched the accelerator for me. I know.. I know.. You'll all be pointing at me for having my (US size 7 :) ) foot half on the 'gas' pedal, or blame me for being drunk, but I know it happened.. After that intersection, I put my left foot on the brake and tried to accelerate with my right foot - which of course the car ignored as I was braking. Called the Palo Alto service center and told them the exact timestamp to look into logs and anything else they can find. Obviously, i'm not too worried that the car will suddenly kill me, but it is not a nice feeling and something somewhere is buggy... Anyone else experienced something like this?

Sudden unexpected acceleration happen to me today in my new Tesla S, while turning right into a parking space, the car accelerated when I hit the brake and jumped the parking bumper landing in the grass. This is a serious concern and should not to be confused with stepping on the wrong petal.