Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected Battery Discharging - How worried should I be ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the car as used (direct from Tesla) in November 2018, with a four year warrantee. AIUI the original battery warrantee doesn't apply to me - even with ultra-low mileage :eek:(
I would certainly check that as it's not the case for used cars now, or for as long as I've been paying attention to them. Used Tesla, whether sold by Tesla or not, still maintain their battery warranty. There is a separate basic warranty that cover the rest of the car which is 4 years.

Reactions: GlynG
I would certainly check that as it's not the case for used cars now, or for as long as I've been paying attention to them. Used Tesla, whether sold by Tesla or not, still maintain their battery warranty. There is a separate basic warranty that cover the rest of the car which is 4 years.
Oops - I should have said AIDUI !

A bit of Googling suggests that the battery is indeed guaranteed for 8 years - even after a change in ownership.

In my next cycle (Wed-Mon) I had, again, one "sudden" loss of 5% and the normal ~2% per day otherwise.

I can live with that.

Perhaps it'll go away after a 100% charge session. In any event, I don't need to worry about an "out of warrantee" issue popping up in the next few days.

Reactions: SteelmanMFC
I did say please. Fine. If it gets cold your batteries will get "upset" and use whatever charge it has to warm the batteries up. And since you didn't give me the Celsius temperature In the US most newer cars have this little blue snowflake when the temperature hits 37F (that would be -3C - see how easy that was?).
So if it gets colder than that you WILL lose range.
This was from today around 11am. Notice the blue star and the warning abut the mileage affected by the cold. I saw the % go from 55 to 51 in MINUTES. I set it to precondition the battery and the % went to 53. BTW it was 44F or for you 6C

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221115_113100_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20221115_113100_Tesla.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 38
So, you have two years of extra warranty you didn't know about - good early Chrissie present, and enough time to monitor your battery - I would suggest a spreadsheet - log the losses as frequently as you wish and that way if there is an issue you will have documented evidence of it to present to Tesla in order to make a claim on the warranty - best result would be there is an issue and just at the 11th hour you claim and they fit a brand new battery - enough I would say for a lazy lob.

By the way ... I'm seeing a few references to "warrantee" from a few different posters. The warrantee is the person who has been given the warranty (though it's not a word that is in general use ... more likely to be seen in legal terminology). The warranty is the thing people are usually discussing.

Reactions: init6