Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected consequence of owning a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't mind telling white lies, you can just say "I got a screaming deal on an inventory* car!". When they ask what an inventory car, you can then say it's sorta like a CPO used car at a normal dealership (not really, but will they really know the diff?). Then mention how you've seen others score deals as low as $700/month for a $100k+ Tesla (there's some thread floating around here about crazy inventory deals).
So now you've effectively gone from a $130,000 price point to $700/month without outright lying about anything. Just deflecting and stretching the truth a little. ;)
Hey bro1999....recognize you as one of the regular posters from the volt forum, where I used to lurk on until about a year or so ago. Anywho...recognized your username, wanted to say 'sup :)

I'm creating this post as the internet is pretty much the only place where I feel comfortable talking about this.

I just got my Model X this week. After a couple months of waiting.

You see, I'm fairly young and have led a stable and modest life. A few things happened over the past few months which allowed me to make a few lifestyle changes and I now felt comfortable purchasing a Model X (from a financial point of view).

I'm a savvy investor and like to save money. The Tesla was a splurge, something I'll likely never have the guts to do again. However, it was also something I've dreamed about for the past 3 years.

From a financial point of view, a $130K car is a terrible deal. From my point of view though, it's a dream come true and I couldn't be happier*.

This is where it comes apart though.
Like I mentioned my modest lifestyle, I also have modest friends. Some of them are well off financially(probably better than I am) but are from the mentality that you have to save everything for retirement.
Others, can't comprehend how I'm able to afford such car. I feel like I'm being silently judged by driving this car.

I feel comfortable when I'm around other Tesla owners but feel very awkward when I'm around co-workers and friends.
Comments like, "you must be doing well", "I need a job like yours", "how much?", etc, seem to come up often.

This is something I agonized over when purchasing this car. However, I didn't think it would be this bad.

Have you guys felt this way? Is there a way to get around it? Do you get used to it?
I feel like I can't really talk about this to anyone in "real life". Thus this post. Please help!

This is so easy to deal with.

Just tell them that your wife/significant other loves you so much and got you one for your birthday because the vehicle is so safe.

Act totally surprised when you hear that their wife or significant other has not bought them a Tesla.

It immediately puts an end to all the BS questions about how much money you make, how much the car cost, or if you are doing "well."

Best of all tough to judge someone because of a gift they received :)

Reactions: krazykanuck30
Hey bro1999....recognize you as one of the regular posters from the volt forum, where I used to lurk on until about a year or so ago. Anywho...recognized your username, wanted to say 'sup :)

Hey there! Your username looks familiar. I got banned from that forum (long story, but basically 1 mod over there sucks), which is why I'm no longer over there. That place has gone downhill.

Hey there! Your username looks familiar. I got banned from that forum (long story, but basically 1 mod over there sucks), which is why I'm no longer over there. That place has gone downhill.
Hah, it went downhill since the two of us left apparently ;)

Last I remember was being entertained by that dude elemental and all the sh*t he would stir. Good colour choice on your bolt by the way. I was trying to convince my wife to get that colour, but she went with the black instead. Once we saw one in the wild we realized we should have gone with the light blue....

Reactions: bro1999
I'm creating this post as the internet is pretty much the only place where I feel comfortable talking about this.

You see, I'm fairly young and have led a stable and modest life. A few things happened over the past few months which allowed me to make a few lifestyle changes and I now felt comfortable purchasing a Model X (from a financial point of view).

I'm a savvy investor and like to save money. The Tesla was a splurge, something I'll likely never have the guts to do again. However, it was also something I've dreamed about for the past 3 years.

From a financial point of view, a $130K car is a terrible deal. From my point of view though, it's a dream come true and I couldn't be happier*.

Like I mentioned my modest lifestyle, I also have modest friends. Some of them are well off financially(probably better than I am) but are from the mentality that you have to save everything for retirement.
Others, can't comprehend how I'm able to afford such car. I feel like I'm being silently judged by driving this car.

I feel comfortable when I'm around other Tesla owners but feel very awkward when I'm around co-workers and friends.
Comments like, "you must be doing well", "I need a job like yours", "how much?", etc, seem to come up often.

This is something I agonized over when purchasing this car. However, I didn't think it would be this bad.

Have you guys felt this way? Is there a way to get around it? Do you get used to it?
I feel like I can't really talk about this to anyone in "real life". Thus this post. Please help!
Why did you buy it? Why was it your dream car? Start by answering that question for yourself. Do you feel good about your answer or not?

Why do people save money for retirement? So they have something to live on in the future. So their families have something to live on in the future. And to guard against possible negative events in the future. For me, buying a Tesla was about supporting the vision they are creating for the future, that will give us things we want while being respectful towards the planet. The reasons are the same. So we all have something to live on (the planet), and live for. So we are guarding against possible negative events in the future (environmental degradation and possible disasters). An investment in the future. I view Tesla's success as important for the future of humanity. It's as simple as that. And I feel good about it.

It's not completely selfless. After all, I could have just put all the money in Tesla stock with no profit intent, or gifted it to the company instead of expecting a car in return. Maybe call it benevolent capitalist. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I get into these conversations every now and again. It happens a lot at work. People think I'm making mega bucks for driving a Model 3. They always ask what I paid and I hate answering. I always say it varies with the options you choose and any incentives being offered by locale.

But when someone rolls into the office in a BMW M3/4, 335, MB C43, Land Rover, etc...nobody bats an eye.

Yeah, I get into these conversations every now and again. It happens a lot at work. People think I'm making mega bucks for driving a Model 3. They always ask what I paid and I hate answering. I always say it varies with the options you choose and any incentives being offered by locale.

But when someone rolls into the office in a BMW M3/4, 335, MB C43, Land Rover, etc...nobody bats an eye.

You get that here in Alberta as well, but it's their decked out pickup trucks with monster truck lift kits.

• Funny
Reactions: fallen888
I usually will ask the person how much they spend per month on gasoline. I point out that if they added their monthly gas cost to their monthly car payment they could probably afford a tesla. I point out my concern for the environment, and my excitement about buying a car manufactured in California.

Many of our clients drive Teslas. I have noticed that those who are leaders at their company, or in their field frequently drive a Tesla. At least here in California, I think Tesla owners are seen as something other than ordinary.

What? You had enough to afford an X? You must indeed be well off.

In reality, you probably would get the same response with just about any new car. Lots of people never buy a new car, always used. Personal priorities are different. $6 coffee once or twice a day is an extravagant cost for many people and with that costing $200 a month, can definitely start offsetting the cost. Things like cigarettes are so much more expensive.

So, yes, they are jealous. Yes, they wish that they could have the same car. Yes, you managed resources to get one.

Yes, people are silently judging you, but that has nothing to do with the car.

If it wasn't for the generous Ontario rebate and its (at the time) pending cancellation, I don't think I would have pulled the trigger on a LR RWD PUP. When I plunked down my deposit, I was hoping to get a rebate on the base model. I definitely spent way more on the car than I had intended, but I love the car, the wife loves the car (this is super important!) and don't regret it for a minute.

Same happen to me among friends and co-workers after got my Model S, their attitude changed. Some toward hostile, some been more polite... I've no idea why, I'm still who I am, what's wrong with financing my dream car.

Since then I'm acting very low-profile and stop talking about my car, especially those turn hostile ... :confused:

If it wasn't for the generous Ontario rebate and its (at the time) pending cancellation, I don't think I would have pulled the trigger on a LR RWD PUP. When I plunked down my deposit, I was hoping to get a rebate on the base model. I definitely spent way more on the car than I had intended, but I love the car, the wife loves the car (this is super important!) and don't regret it for a minute.

Exactly my situation - although I probably could afford it without the rebate, I could not justify it. The rebate pushed me across that line and we absolutely love owning the car.

That said, when I'm asked I don't beat around the bush or try to use an excuse. I tell them I'll save money in the long run and I've wanted a nice car so I saved up for a while (both true).

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I work in outside sale in the construction industry and I was concerned with the perception from my customers from me driving a Tesla. I have had a couple people say "Wow, I need to get a new job" or "Whoah, who got a Tesla" but when I explain the total cost of owning the Tesla vs the total cost of owning my old ICE car and how the Tesla is actually a little cheaper it generally turns on the light bulb and makes them realise that it isn't as expensive as they thought.

This is mostly in your head. 90% of other people couldn't tell the difference between a Model X and Dodge Caravan. I see Teslas every 5 minutes at least where I live. It's not like you're daily driving a laferarri.

Great post and topic....thank you for starting it.

I also have the same anxiety and questions. I didn't feel comfortable telling people I have a new car or even that I ordered my Model 3. Once they hear Tesla, some people resort to Rob Ford "millionaire" mentality. I explained to them the mathematics behind going EV and ran the numbers on gas usage, maintenance to explain to them the total cost of ownership...with their numbers. This usually gets the buy in that it's really not that big of a purchase.

There's still some that think I'm a millionaire...reality is, it's the first new car I ever bought. The last was a CPO BMW 11 years ago and before that 2nd hand Golfs.

I do hope that I don't get passed up for raises or promotions though.

This is mostly in your head. 90% of other people couldn't tell the difference between a Model X and Dodge Caravan. I see Teslas every 5 minutes at least where I live. It's not like you're daily driving a laferarri.

I have a strong feeling much more than 10% of people could tell the difference between a Caravan and a Model X. Unless these people all just had eye surgery. :D

• Funny
Reactions: Ormond
I have a strong feeling much more than 10% of people could tell the difference between a Caravan and a Model X. Unless these people all just had eye surgery. :D

Those motorized gull wing doors kind of give it away :)

I suspect it’s partly (not all of it) in OP’s head.

You do need to be careful how you might “brag” about something. Not saying OP did but sometimes people don’t realize they are doing it. A lot of it is pride and excitement but it can come across the wrong way. Some people even with a similar level job might not manage their money well or have other obligations (like healthcare related bills, a parent in a nursing home sucking their funds down etc.).

People have different priorities too. It’s close to insane for me to buy a model 3, which is 3x what I or co-workers would typically pay for a fairly good car. I could put more into retirement but I choose not to. You can’t take it with you.

I did change my order from red to midnight silver to not send quite as “Braggy” a message. It will just blend in easier. But maybe that’s in my head too.

Neighbors just spent probably $100k on their kitchen. But nobody would blink an eye at that, as being too excessive. Our kitchen will wait another 20 years for a make over ;)

Reactions: GlenM and lklundin
The most important thing to keep in mind is that this judgment isn't real or at least it's not as real as you think it is.

Sure you've heard those things from friends, but I think you're using that to confirm your fears.

I tend to justify the things I get by realizing that it's my life, and its my choice on how I live it.

Society has two things that it tries to push onto people.

The first is having kids, and the second is retirement.

Both of them in a way are social engineering that's designed to promote societies needs over the needs of an individual. Now I'm not saying people shouldn't do them, but I am saying that people shouldn't feel forced into them to the degree that they are.

When I got my Model S I didn't see myself as buying a status symbol. Lots of us that got the Model S weren't looking for a status symbol, and it was just some annoying aspect that came with it. The proliferation of them helped reduce that feeling of it being a status symbol.

That never really happened when I bought a Porsche. The funny thing about the Porsche is I got it because of how it felt to drive, and how it cornered. What was amazing was the majority of the owners were really cool, and level headed. For much of the same reason in that by being active in the Porsche community they cared more about driving than about a status symbol.

In a way that's like a Tesla, but with a Tesla it's more than driving. It's about freedom from oil, dealers, etc.