Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected consequence of owning a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the replies guys.
I do agree that I think some of it is in my head.

I was reflecting today and some of the comments I was receiving wasn't geared towards a Tesla. I think anyone with a new car would've gotten them.
After the first few comments. Things seem to have gotten better. People are 'used to it' I guess.

Nevertheless, I have some quick comebacks now that have been helping me.
People at work have gotten used to seeing the car parked in my spot and I'm overall a bit more relaxed.

I've never been bragy about it. In fact, I tried to hide it. I guess I could try being a bit friendlier... I'm a fairly quiet person.

Anyways. I think this is something I'll learn to live with. The attention is definitely a change.

For anyone in this situation or with a similar feeling, my advice is:
- Keep your answers vague.
- Smile and be polite.
- Relax

Reactions: MrShakeHands
I get "nice car!" and "really awesome" from strangers who know the car and brand.

The family at first was like "WTF are you doing w/ your money!?". But it makes me smile every drive and we drive a lot in North America! So quality of life + 1000% every day, wallet -5 year payments. #worth.

Give those judges free demo rides and they'll see why ;)

The most important thing to keep in mind is that this judgment isn't real or at least it's not as real as you think it is.

Sure you've heard those things from friends, but I think you're using that to confirm your fears.

I tend to justify the things I get by realizing that it's my life, and its my choice on how I live it.

Society has two things that it tries to push onto people.

The first is having kids, and the second is retirement.

Both of them in a way are social engineering that's designed to promote societies needs over the needs of an individual. Now I'm not saying people shouldn't do them, but I am saying that people shouldn't feel forced into them to the degree that they are.

When I got my Model S I didn't see myself as buying a status symbol. Lots of us that got the Model S weren't looking for a status symbol, and it was just some annoying aspect that came with it. The proliferation of them helped reduce that feeling of it being a status symbol.

That never really happened when I bought a Porsche. The funny thing about the Porsche is I got it because of how it felt to drive, and how it cornered. What was amazing was the majority of the owners were really cool, and level headed. For much of the same reason in that by being active in the Porsche community they cared more about driving than about a status symbol.

In a way that's like a Tesla, but with a Tesla it's more than driving. It's about freedom from oil, dealers, etc.

Great post. I now drive a 6 year old VW Tiguan with 175,000 km. It would be the cheapest option to drive it till it dies... but I am excited to get my AWD M3 because I feel strongly about the environment and I commute 120 km per day (twice sometimes if I'm called back to work) and I live in a snow belt. I will save a ton on fuel, given that I typically spend upwards of $5,000 per year on gas. But mainly, I want a beautiful car that drives well, is quiet, and that I will enjoy the 1.5 (or 3) hours a day I spend in it. And I don't feel guilty about it at all.

It's my "mid-life crisis" I guess. For his, my husband bought a 1974 (orange!) 914 for $15K and fixed it up. We have gone on Porsche runs with members of the Ontario Porsche Owners Club, and had a great time. There are cars worth 10 times what we paid for ours and yet everyone is always excited to see our little beauty even though it's not even close to as fast or expensive as most of the other cars. No stigma either way.

I'm hoping the Tesla Owners Club is the same kind of experience.

PS, I do have kids but am not even close to financially ready to retire!

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Yup me too - but it wears off.
Advice:
1 carpe diem
2. The govt gave me 10k toward it
3. It then costs 1/3 of what you spend for gas
4. I will likely never need brakes or many of the repairs of an ice
5. It is a sacrifice - I didnt go to disney/aruba/mexico or wherever you went last year
6. I set a long term goal o er many years and accomplished it. This takes tremendous discipline and I proved it to myself
7. I am glad you are impressed/jealous/insecure about my tesla but I bought it for what it is, not the badge on the hood
8. I don’t talk about saving the planet, I am speaking with my actions to control what I can - my carbon footprint
9 would you like a ride / to know more
10 they start at 28k - how much was your car?

Great thread with a lot of valuable perspectives. There's no end to the list of reasons to buy an X and I think they've all been covered so I'll spare you my reasons.

One thing that I will add is that you're not alone. While my wife and I are ridiculously cheap, she still decided to upgrade from a 2002 Civic to an X and then allowed me to go from a 2002 Focus to an S.

Model 3 data shows similar trends, suggesting that Tesla is creating demand and not just stealing customers from luxury brands. You likely weren't debating between a Cayenne and an X. Owning a Tesla is not like owning another car. It is a lifestyle change.

My two cents:
  • F*ck what others think. It's about you, not them.
  • I try to surround myself with people who wouldn't be so petty and judgemental.
  • I'm usually very transparent with people about how I (all true):
    • Got a great deal for my trade in.
    • Financed under a super low rate.
    • Stretched the loan term out to 6.5 years (even though I'll have it paid off in less than 4).
    • Have a monthly payment less than what I paid for my Acura beforehand.
    • Pay much less for electricity than for gas. And free supercharging!
    • Don't have to pay for oil changes or emissions tests.
    • Haven't needed to pay for brakes or brake pads in my two years of ownership.