Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected consequence of owning a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm creating this post as the internet is pretty much the only place where I feel comfortable talking about this.

I just got my Model X this week. After a couple months of waiting.

You see, I'm fairly young and have led a stable and modest life. A few things happened over the past few months which allowed me to make a few lifestyle changes and I now felt comfortable purchasing a Model X (from a financial point of view).

I'm a savvy investor and like to save money. The Tesla was a splurge, something I'll likely never have the guts to do again. However, it was also something I've dreamed about for the past 3 years.

From a financial point of view, a $130K car is a terrible deal. From my point of view though, it's a dream come true and I couldn't be happier*.

This is where it comes apart though.
Like I mentioned my modest lifestyle, I also have modest friends. Some of them are well off financially(probably better than I am) but are from the mentality that you have to save everything for retirement.
Others, can't comprehend how I'm able to afford such car. I feel like I'm being silently judged by driving this car.

I feel comfortable when I'm around other Tesla owners but feel very awkward when I'm around co-workers and friends.
Comments like, "you must be doing well", "I need a job like yours", "how much?", etc, seem to come up often.

This is something I agonized over when purchasing this car. However, I didn't think it would be this bad.

Have you guys felt this way? Is there a way to get around it? Do you get used to it?
I feel like I can't really talk about this to anyone in "real life". Thus this post. Please help!

I play it off as a lucky break, which it was for me.

While my job does cover buying a Tesla, I just admit to buying enough stock in Tesla early enough that my stocks cover buying my X.

I’ve been to car shows, and I’ve had a few amazed at the final cost, so I’ve started using conversation points to talk around it. Saying you bought a $150k car and people think you’re nuts. Saying the base cost for your car is $70 - $80k plus options puts it in line with BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, etc. It’s all in how you present it.

Yup, all my friends, customers, and neighbors that my wife and I won the lotto when I got a CPO 3 years ago (the good CPO days). It looked every bit the $100,000+ car that it was, and other than the old nose, still looks amazing. And, 3 years ago, they were not quite everywhere in Southern California, so there were lots of looks then.

To people I knew, I explained that it was used, and they were amazed at that, but to rest. Shrug. I've saved over $13,000 miles in gas, about $3,000 in tolls, and hours of my life not being at a gas station by adding 65,000 miles to the odometer of it, compared to our Land Cruiser.

When I tell my friends that, they visit the Tesla website.

I was going to list some funny remarks, but they're not helpful. You can say:

1. "It's my only splurge and it's my dream car."
  2. "The bank owns it."
  3. "I got a good deal on it." (I don't like saying the price. Anyone can check the internet if they're that inquisitive.) You might feel it was a deal because it doesn't require gas and may have tax benefits.
  4. "I've been saving up for it for quite a while." or if you're leasing
  5. "I'm leasing it and don't own it."
  6. "I'm in the tech field and love technology. "
I've always had nice cars. Some were used. Some cost more than my home at the time.

Unfortunately, people may assume that you don't need money. Make sure you don't get passed over for raises. Enjoy it and don't feel guilty. We shall be your support group. :)

Last edited:
Just say you are saving the environment. Buying Tesla it is your small contribution towards better future for everyone and gets you home faster.

Better to say something than just grin.

Thanks guys! These are great. I didn't expect many replies but it seems like a lot more people than just myself have the same feeling.
We should definitely start a support group!

So far, I've used:
"The bank owns it".
"I'm reckless with money" (Though that one doesn't work with close friends who know I'm actually the opposite)
"Early midlife crisis"
"I'm gonna die before I retire"
"Bitcoin"
"It was a gift"

Though, the "Bitcoin" one is a tossup as people then think I'm a multi-millionaire. I'll have to remember not to use that one.

People say the most inappropriate things and either are really crafty or have no idea they are doing it. Depending on what these people are to you, you can ignore them, give them a snappy comeback, respond truthfully, or put them on the spot for remarking on your personal business.

I like the Dear Abby advice for people who make comments like siblings who don't resemble each other: If they ask a question that makes you uncomfortable, respond with "whatever makes you ask/say something like that?"

I haven't picked my Model 3 up yet, but have already fielded comments like "wow, that is a really expensive car" and "pretty spendy, aren't you?" Granted, it is not a Model X, but I usually say something about all the gas and maintenance I'm saving. I've said something like "lucky, aren't I?" Once I even told a casual acquaintance who I don't work hard to maintain contact with that my daughter was really bummed to find out I would be driving her college tuition...

Bottom line is the only person you need to justify the purchase with is yourself. Maybe your spouse if you live in a state with common property laws. Once you are square there, the rest is just noise.

Reactions: pcons
If you don't mind telling white lies, you can just say "I got a screaming deal on an inventory* car!". When they ask what an inventory car, you can then say it's sorta like a CPO used car at a normal dealership (not really, but will they really know the diff?). Then mention how you've seen others score deals as low as $700/month for a $100k+ Tesla (there's some thread floating around here about crazy inventory deals).
So now you've effectively gone from a $130,000 price point to $700/month without outright lying about anything. Just deflecting and stretching the truth a little. ;)