Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected consequences of model 3 ownership...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. This will never happen to me. Before ordering my Tesla, I installed keyless locks for all my doors. Garage doors also had smart features and security camera. If you can spend $$$$ on a car, you should be able to spend $ on a lock. The only problem that I have is my phone. I still try to figure out how not to lose it or protect information if it happens.

No. This will never happen to me. Before ordering my Tesla, I installed keyless locks for all my doors. Garage doors also had smart features and security camera. If you can spend $$$$ on a car, you should be able to spend $ on a lock. The only problem that I have is my phone. I still try to figure out how not to lose it or protect information if it happens.
Right, I should clarify I have one of those code access deadbolts on my garage door to the house, so I can get in. But in case of a power outage where I can't open the garage door I'll be locked out :)

I'm pretty sure I've lost my house keys. I completely blame the model 3 for this since I now no longer need a key to drive the car. :rolleyes:

I was frequently forgetting my keys at home or in my desk at work and now I can't find them. :oops:

Anybody else have this happen to them?

When I got the car I also went ‘keyless’. 99.9% of the time we use the entrance door inside the garage. I installed a keyless deadbolt. Hid the backup door key outside but it’s NOT under the flowerpot by the front door so forget looking there.

Right, I should clarify I have one of those code access deadbolts on my garage door to the house, so I can get in. But in case of a power outage where I can't open the garage door I'll be locked out :)
I have a backup battery on my garage door opener. Some of the Liftmaster/Chaimberlin models support battery.

I converted front deadbolt to keypad.

I keep loosing my mailbox key :(

I don’t loose my keys, they’re either in my pocket or on my desk because I seldom use them anymore. :p

Been looking at keyless options for my landlord, but I haven’t found one he likes. They’re all “too complicated” :D

I laughed at this - no you are not alone in this. I'm a techie geek and have virtually automated every function of my home. So the Model 3 was a natural extension of my house. Normally i get out of my car, car locks and shuts itself on its own. The door lock is blue tooth and automatically unlocks when I pull into my driveway. So I've been keyless for months.

Low and behold sometime this summer, did my home lock not malfunction and I was locked out of my house. My wife also left her house keys inside - A/C was on, so all windows closed and locked. Luckily my neighbour (really good friend) had a lock kit and managed to get us through a back door.

But lesson learned - spare keys at my parents, lol. Anyways, thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm pretty sure I've lost my house keys. I completely blame the model 3 for this since I now no longer need a key to drive the car. :rolleyes:

I was frequently forgetting my keys at home or in my desk at work and now I can't find them. :oops:

Anybody else have this happen to them?
I actually keep forgetting my wallet when I do quick errand runs. Before, when I went looking for my keys I always grabbed my wallet. I’m so used to not thinking about what’s on me now I just hop in the car and drive since my phone is always on me. When I get there I’m like crap my wallet isn’t on me. Only thing that worries me is getting pulled over without my drivers license on me.

I actually keep forgetting my wallet when I do quick errand runs. Before, when I went looking for my keys I always grabbed my wallet. I’m so used to not thinking about what’s on me now I just hop in the car and drive since my phone is always on me. When I get there I’m like crap my wallet isn’t on me. Only thing that worries me is getting pulled over without my drivers license on me.
Agreed on the 'I no longer think about what I need on me' front. I left work last Friday, got home and realized I didn't have my wallet. Had to drive back to get it Saturday.

I've also walked away from my wife's bolt a few times leaving it on 'what? You have to push a button to turn off this car? What a piece of junk.' :)

• Funny
Reactions: Vawlkus
Agreed on the 'I no longer think about what I need on me' front. I left work last Friday, got home and realized I didn't have my wallet. Had to drive back to get it Saturday.

I've also walked away from my wife's bolt a few times leaving it on 'what? You have to push a button to turn off this car? What a piece of junk.' :)
Yeah right? When I take my sister Mercedes for a ride, I just close the door and walk away. She told me I left her door unlocked the whole night and I had an oh crap moment haha. So used to Tesla phone key locking as I walk away.

You don’t know how convinent something is until you can’t use it anymore.

News flash:

I found my keys!

Left them in a pair of jeans I bought and tried on at home only to realize I already had a pair that was virtually the same. Just returned said jeans and the keys fell out at the store while I was returning them....I don't think they understood why I was so happy to see the keys :rolleyes:

Now, I will be buying one of those gps key tags to locate them for the next time I misplace them :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: Vawlkus and Saghost