Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected Find

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F02967F3-9028-453F-B8B3-5EAADE77FC51.jpeg
C2B25919-8110-4B6D-A732-D577B4F16F18.jpeg
F02967F3-9028-453F-B8B3-5EAADE77FC51.jpeg
I picked up my Performance 3 on 12/10/19. The weather around that time was very wet here in Maryland. Luckily, it was not very cold so even though I had to wait about a week or so to get my Winter tire/wheel set delivered from TireRack, I didn’t feel too bad about having to drive with the Michelin Summer tires the car came with. Once I got the Winter set, I swapped them out and had an uneventful Winter other than putting on almost 10k miles!!!

So the big surprise came when I went to change back to the Summer set this past weekend. As you can see in the pictures, it looks like the tire was plugged.

I know that I didn’t do that or have it done. So the question is, did Michelin do this or did Tesla?

I realize there is no way for me to prove that I didn’t do it. But considering I have 9860 miles on the car as of now and you can see by the treadwear on the tire, I think it’s pretty clear that I didn’t put a whole lot of miles on those Michelins. Odds of getting a flat with a couple of hundred miles is not 0% I understand but pretty low.

Unless I checked the tires at time of delivery, I wouldn’t have known until a later time. And to be honest, that’s not even something I thought NEEDED to be checked for.

The tire seems to have held pressure while in storage over the Winter and I don’t think it will be a big problem down the line but just somewhat surprised and frankly disappointed.

Just wanted to get it out there and off my chest.

How many miles had you done with that tyre? It still has the flashes across the tread! They'd be gone on mine after the first 100yds :D

I agree it doesn't look like a plug. It's a screw with the head snapped off or something similar. Best to get a tyre shop to take it out and really plug it.

How many miles had you done with that tyre? It still has the flashes across the tread! They'd be gone on mine after the first 100yds :D

I agree it doesn't look like a plug. It's a screw with the head snapped off or something similar. Best to get a tyre shop to take it out and really plug it.
It doesn't feel like metal. Feels more like hard plastic.

I am afraid to try to pull it out in case it's a real plug. Then I am screwed.

It doesn't feel like metal. Feels more like hard plastic.

I am afraid to try to pull it out in case it's a real plug. Then I am screwed.
Whatever it is, It may only be in the tread a few mm, but in any case that's why I suggest taking it to a tyre shop so it can be pulled out and you can get it fixed if it needs to be.

View attachment 530234 View attachment 530235 View attachment 530234 I picked up my Performance 3 on 12/10/19. The weather around that time was very wet here in Maryland. Luckily, it was not very cold so even though I had to wait about a week or so to get my Winter tire/wheel set delivered from TireRack, I didn’t feel too bad about having to drive with the Michelin Summer tires the car came with. Once I got the Winter set, I swapped them out and had an uneventful Winter other than putting on almost 10k miles!!!

So the big surprise came when I went to change back to the Summer set this past weekend. As you can see in the pictures, it looks like the tire was plugged.

I know that I didn’t do that or have it done. So the question is, did Michelin do this or did Tesla?

I realize there is no way for me to prove that I didn’t do it. But considering I have 9860 miles on the car as of now and you can see by the treadwear on the tire, I think it’s pretty clear that I didn’t put a whole lot of miles on those Michelins. Odds of getting a flat with a couple of hundred miles is not 0% I understand but pretty low.

Unless I checked the tires at time of delivery, I wouldn’t have known until a later time. And to be honest, that’s not even something I thought NEEDED to be checked for.

The tire seems to have held pressure while in storage over the Winter and I don’t think it will be a big problem down the line but just somewhat surprised and frankly disappointed.

Just wanted to get it out there and off my chest.

I wouldn't put that tire back on my car without knowing if its a plug or a plastic screw or something.

Take it to a tire shop....have them pull it out....and re-plug it if necessary.

Very inexpensive and quick endeavor.

The odds the car was intentionally delivered to you with a plug in a tire is not something I’d bet on. 10k miles is plenty to run over something.

Either way, there’s no way to prove it. It does look more like a nail to me, but I’d be curious to see if it really is a rubber plug.

The tire is obviously nearly brand new, as you said. I bet you picked up something in that first week before you got your winters on. I agree with the dominant theme here: Take it to a tire shop, and pull out whatever it is, and then fix if needed. Or pull it yourself and take it to the tire shop if that opens a leak.

OK. Thanks everyone for the input. So came home and took the wheel off and pried the thing out. Not sure if you can tell in the picture but it was a piece of hard plastic. Dug around a little after removing and did not feel anything else in the wound. No leak.
Glad to have resolution and also thankful for the resource such as this board.

Also very happy that my fears about Michelin and Tesla were completely unfounded.
9CE01793-3602-4565-A4B1-DB9A2D573462.jpeg
E4014CE3-5111-4EE3-88BE-8583280D756E.jpeg

OK. Thanks everyone for the input. So came home and took the wheel off and pried the thing out. Not sure if you can tell in the picture but it was a piece of hard plastic. Dug around a little after removing and did not feel anything else in the wound. No leak.
Glad to have resolution and also thankful for the resource such as this board.

Also very happy that my fears about Michelin and Tesla were completely unfounded.
View attachment 530444 View attachment 530445
Glad it wasn't anything serious.
Thanks for the update and closure!