Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected maintenance cost after 5 yrs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own my brand new 85D since Sep2015, which is still running strong after 115,000km (85% highway).
Regular annual service in the last 4 years. Joined Extended Service Agreements(ESA).
I recently brought it back to service center for the fifth year service along with an issue that it sometimes develop a 'grinding nose' from front when turn in slow speed. After the diagnose, I got call from Service Advisor said the busing from front & rear control arms and links have worn out with loosen. Need to replace them all at ~hk$37k(part + labor). It seems ESA doesn't cover this, right?
Quite surprise that I need to replace both front and rear control arms & links just after 115,000km. I'm not an aggressive driver. Still running the 2rd set of tires (Michelin PS4).
Not sure if I'm the only one with this unpleasant experience? 115,000km is too high?
Advice / View?

I think that the control arms and other related parts tend to wear more with heavy vehicles and/or use in areas with twisty mountain roads or urban areas with many turns. That does not necessarily imply that lasting only115,000 km is a good thing. Many of those parts in the Model S derived, if I recall correctly, from Mercedes Benz S-Class parts. For what it is worth, I have had suspension/steering parts replacement at ~100,000 km with several German cars, none of which were covered by warranty.

That, even if I'm correct, does not make it feel better. I would try to ask for 'goodwill' replacement. A close friend of mine did succeed in such a request.

I think that the control arms and other related parts tend to wear more with heavy vehicles and/or use in areas with twisty mountain roads or urban areas with many turns. That does not necessarily imply that lasting only115,000 km is a good thing. Many of those parts in the Model S derived, if I recall correctly, from Mercedes Benz S-Class parts. For what it is worth, I have had suspension/steering parts replacement at ~100,000 km with several German cars, none of which were covered by warranty.

That, even if I'm correct, does not make it feel better. I would try to ask for 'goodwill' replacement. A close friend of mine did succeed in such a request.

Thanks for your sharing. Yes it is heavy, but fast. Still enjoy the instant torque and efficiency.
Will try to bargain for better replacement discount at Tesla service center.