Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected notification that model Y was unlocked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife unintentionally left her phone in the vehicle while going into work. About an hour later, I got a notification on my I-phone that the vehicle was unlocked. I checked the location of her phone on an app on my phone and her phone was still in the parking lot where she usually parks. I called her work number, verified that she didn't have the phone and she went to the car to retrieve the phone and make sure (this time) that the vehicle honked when she walked away.
I would not have expected this notification since the phone was still in the vehicle. I was very glad that I got it though since I sure wouldn't want the vehicle left unlocked, especially with her phone in it. I don'tI know however that I would count on getting such a notification in the future but glad I did this time.

I got the same notification on my wife's car while she was shopping. I thought somehow the car was unlocked even though she had her phone with her, so I locked it via my phone app. Big mistake. She couldn't get into the car when she was done shopping with the phone or the card. She finally used the app to unlock it. Sounds like a Tesla issue with multiple cars.

Reactions: JKad
I got the same notification on my wife's car while she was shopping. I thought somehow the car was unlocked even though she had her phone with her, so I locked it via my phone app. Big mistake. She couldn't get into the car when she was done shopping with the phone or the card. She finally used the app to unlock it. Sounds like a Tesla issue with multiple cars.
It’s a good thing that she had the phone and the card but since those didn’t work, the app is a good way to unlock.

Notification of an unlocked vehicle is a new feature that’s described in recent software release notes.
Update, 2022.36 had car left open notifications will now notify you when the doors have been accidentally left unlocked.
I guess that’s what triggered the notification and it seems like it had nothing to do with the phone having been left in the car except that the car didn’t automatically lock when she left.