TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Unexpected "STOP" Message

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Ed Hart, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Ed Hart

Ed Hart Member

During a recent rain storm here in So. Cal. (quite rare) the instrument panel gave this warning (Photoshop simulation) with the loud, piercing emergency braking system alert. I believe that the right front corner ultrasonic sensor failed when wet. It is working again, now that it is dry. Headed in for service next week. Has anyone seen something similar? If so, what was the fix?
    Thanks
    Ed Hart

Hart Message in Rain.jpg

2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

It's likely the rain was so heavy that the sensor though there was a solid object directly near the sensor, thus believing there was an impeding collision.

3. Ed Hart

Ed Hart Member

Thank you, Johan. Agreed, but...it does not rain much over here in Southern California, so if this happens to all cars whenever it rains, it would be happening all over the world! I called Tesla Customer Service, and after some internal discussion, I received a callback saying that Tesla is not sure what happened.

BTW: My wife was driving the car by herself when this happened, and since she was in the middle of a California freeway in traffic, she panicked just a bit. She called, and I told her to keep driving as long as the car would run. I met her at the closest exit from the freeway to sort it out for myself. A bit of a mess, but no apparent damage....except to my wife's confidence in the car.

4. rainman50

rainman50 Member

I have had that happen a couple times also. It was snowing at the time. I was at a stop light and started off when the light turned green suddenly it came up with STOP in red . It was shocking at first then I continued moving since there was no obstruction and then it went off after a couple seconds. I figured it was the snow causing it.

5. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

When it rains hard or snows, my parking sensors sometimes act up too.