Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected upgrade at delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This week, I took delivery of a used 2017 S 100D. We’re keeping the 2013 as well, so we’re all electric now ⚡

It seems all you hear are the bad stories and how much Tesla sucks, how their employees don’t care, how incompetent, etc. This has not been my experience.

After looking for some time, I found a car that had 95% of what I wanted, but was my second choice of color. I pushed the order button and paid the $1500 deposit on Thursday morning. By that afternoon, I got call from Tesla sales to confirm everything and set up shipping. Text confirmations of the same as is the norm for this process. Good to go!

Friday morning, I did what you should never do and looked at the site again. There was a car that had 100% of what I wanted - Every box checked. All desired options in the right colors, with no FSD. I called Tesla sales to see if the order could be changed. They said I could cancel, but would likely lose my initial deposit. Since I’m a grown up, I was fine with that and placed another $1500 deposit for the better vehicle. I did follow up with a text very respectfully requesting at least a refund of the shipping charge since the first car never moved. The sales rep estimated 2-3 weeks for the car to move from FL to VA. I filled out the financing application via the app and waited.

3 days later, I got the text that the car had arrived and we could schedule delivery! In the meantime, Tesla finance reworked the loan twice without me asking to find better rates. I received email updates as this was progressing. I set a date and waited impatiently. The day before, I got a call from the local delivery location that we needed to push back a few days because the car was not ready. I took this to mean that something needed to be repaired. Although somewhat disappointed, I’d rather take the car in full working order. I was pleasantly surprised to see very soon after that the entire deposit and shipment charge for the first car had been refunded to my credit card, well before the 10 business days they had estimated IF a refund was approved.

Fast forward to delivery day, and the car was there, clean and ready to go. Not a thing wrong with it and synced right up to my app. Close inspection showed a couple a very minor rock chips as can be expected with 31k miles. What I didn’t expect was that this 2017 is equipped with MCU2 and FSD computer! This 100% was not listed on the build sheet as it is with other cars of the same vintage on the website.

To be honest, I was really not looking forward to moving into a newer car with MCU1 after upgrading my 13 several months back (totally worth ever penny BTW). The first thing on my list was to schedule a service appointment for this new car for the infotainment upgrade. It goes without saying I am extremely happy to not have to deal with that and spend $2000 in the process.

Overall, great experience taking delivery of a great car with an unexpected bonus. Well done Tesla used sales, Tesla finance, and Tyson’s delivery team.

Congrats on the new ride - good to hear a positive experience.

Is FSD mentioned on your paperwork anywhere? If not, I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if it disappears at some point ...
The OP only mentioned "FSD computer", which may merely mean the HW 3.0 upgrade that is done with all MCU2 upgrades now, regardless of whether a car has FSD purchased. Not clear if OP meant the FSD package, which would also mean the car has EAP (since it's a 2017) that may not have been purchased either.

EDIT: Oops OP just responded saying same...