TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Unexpected "we have detected new wheels" alert

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by tmc42, Mar 21, 2017.

1. tmc42

tmc42 New Member

Has anyone seen this alert before?:
    `We have detected new wheels on your car. Select the current wheel size. [ 19" ][ 21" ]`

I just received a new MS last week. After driving a few minutes this alert popped up on screen. It seemed very surprising that the wheel size wasn't already configured before I received the MS, or that this would even be a user selectable option. Does anyone know why this happened? Has this happened to other owners?
    new_wheels_alert.JPG

2. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

What's with the "we"?

Royalty?

Borg Collective?

• Funny x 1
  3. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

Yeah, that is a little weird, but I don't know that there's a much better way to put it. "New wheels detected" is more neutral but also pretty cold.

Anyhow, I haven't seen or heard of that alert fresh from delivery, but I can see a simple enough oversight. Someone could have just hit the wrong button. I wouldn't be concerned unless it popped up again, as that might indicate a problem with the sensors. Otherwise, I'd just select the correct answer and (literally) drive on.

4. scottm

scottm Active Member

Hmm.. car might be comparing velocity (or distance) as measured locally by wheel speed (or drive train revolutions) with that of GPS tracking, and the two don't agree. If that's the case, and TPMS senses good pressure at all wheels, then the only thing the car can suggest is somebody calibrated the wrong tire size, and is offering to set that right.

I haven't looked everywhere in the UI but is there a place to preemptively set the wheel diameter anytime you want? Supposing you or a tire shop could go to and punch in the right value if you bought new wheels. I know the place for resetting TPMS when you swap tire sets off the car (same diameter tires).

At least it's comforting to know that a pop-up will happen for a wheel diameter change.

If it didn't happen... then you're odometer would be off. (Adversely affect warranty coverage period).

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Contact your local Tesla service center and take your car in for them to check it out.

6. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

The screen is programmed to automatically come up when you change tires for recalibration of the speedometer/odometer. I had it each time I changed summer/winter tires on my S. Just select the correct option and enter your choice. I would not be concerned unless it reappeared without changing tires.

7. scottm

scottm Active Member

Dollars to donuts (an expression around here) is that dude at the factory punched in the wrong wheel size during calibration.

8. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

Clearly Borg.
    Elon did mumble something about a hive mind learning a while ago right?

• Funny x 1