Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected "we have detected new wheels" alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen this alert before?:
`We have detected new wheels on your car. Select the current wheel size. [ 19" ][ 21" ]`

I just received a new MS last week. After driving a few minutes this alert popped up on screen. It seemed very surprising that the wheel size wasn't already configured before I received the MS, or that this would even be a user selectable option. Does anyone know why this happened? Has this happened to other owners?
new_wheels_alert.JPG

What's with the "we"?

Royalty?

Borg Collective?

Yeah, that is a little weird, but I don't know that there's a much better way to put it. "New wheels detected" is more neutral but also pretty cold.

Anyhow, I haven't seen or heard of that alert fresh from delivery, but I can see a simple enough oversight. Someone could have just hit the wrong button. I wouldn't be concerned unless it popped up again, as that might indicate a problem with the sensors. Otherwise, I'd just select the correct answer and (literally) drive on.

Hmm.. car might be comparing velocity (or distance) as measured locally by wheel speed (or drive train revolutions) with that of GPS tracking, and the two don't agree. If that's the case, and TPMS senses good pressure at all wheels, then the only thing the car can suggest is somebody calibrated the wrong tire size, and is offering to set that right.

I haven't looked everywhere in the UI but is there a place to preemptively set the wheel diameter anytime you want? Supposing you or a tire shop could go to and punch in the right value if you bought new wheels. I know the place for resetting TPMS when you swap tire sets off the car (same diameter tires).

At least it's comforting to know that a pop-up will happen for a wheel diameter change.

If it didn't happen... then you're odometer would be off. (Adversely affect warranty coverage period).

The screen is programmed to automatically come up when you change tires for recalibration of the speedometer/odometer. I had it each time I changed summer/winter tires on my S. Just select the correct option and enter your choice. I would not be concerned unless it reappeared without changing tires.