Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpectedly fast (3 weeks) delivery for Model S - something fishy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ordered Model S LR with basic configuration (white, black interior, 19-in wheels) on March 14th. At that time, the estimate for delivery was November. However, last week, I got a VIN assigned and delivery estimate was changed to July. Three days ago, I got one more change in delivery date and it is now April 6th - total around 3 weeks from the date of order. Based on many delivery stories that I have read in the last few days, it is not very standard and I am getting a bit worried. I called Tesla and asked why the delivery is so early but I did not get any straight answer. When I asked whether this car was supposed to be picked up by someone else and was "refused" by the new owner but the Tesla representative assured me that it is was not a "refused car".

In addition to the above, my delivery method was changed (by Tesla) from pickup at Fremont to home delivery. I called Tesla about this and was told that "the driver became available and Tesla changed the delivery". I asked Tesla to change it back to pickup at Fremont.

Do you think, there is a reason to be worried?

Is there any way to verify the history of this car (whether it was "refused" by someone else)? Does Tesla have to disclose this?

I really appreciate any help with this. This will be my first Tesla and I really hope that it will not be a lemon.

It could be a reject or cancel. Go to a Store and track where the car is. That would provide more useful info if you were not so close.
When you are normally assigned a VIN it is NOT built yet and only takes a 2-3 days before it's ready to ship.
See if you can get the build date. That will tell the story better. If it was built before you were assigned VIN it could be fishy or you got a perfect cancel match. In Calif it's more the wild west than shipments further away.

I got my model S within 3 weeks of ordering too. Often, it’s a luck of the draw of an order cancelled and your allocation matches. Don’t think too much about it and enjoy the car.

Though I wonder truly how much the backlog on the model S is. If you paid the post-price increase price, maybe they prioritized your order too.

Reactions: Smileysam
Same happened to me with thr Plaid, instead of the 4-6 weeks back in February, i got the car in 3 weeks in FL. Order was 2/10 and build date was 2/14 for what i was assigned. I guess someone canceled to wait for the refresh+.

I thought about that too to reject the car to get a refresh+ but i am not big fan of the new back ( too model 3 ish for me) plus the one I inspected had perfect paint so i ended up accepting her.

Just make sure to decline home delivery and switch it to store pick up and to inspect the car and not pay until you do.

Similar thing happened to me about 18 months ago, but in my case it was exactly the car I would have ordered suddenly showed up locally as Inventory. Best I can tell, the individual who ordered the car was unable to take delivery, so it moved to Inventory. Celebrate your good luck and enjoy your new Model S.

D, Nothing is fishy. I placed an order for a Plaid the last week in September at 3AM. Around noon that day I got a confirming email and vin #. Turns out a fresh build (Sept) with my specs was on the lot in Tampa. Someone must have backed out of the deal. So I actually took deliver less than 9 hours after the order was placed,
Just open the drivers and check the sticker for the build date

Just to let everyone know, I did pick up the car. It was a bit interesting experience. I had to spend around 6 hours in California sun, walking around Teslas and observing how they are prepared for the owners (some aspects are quite disappointing and eye-opening).

The car looks fine. The body panel fit is better than 90% of the other new Teslas I saw on the lot (I am quite happy about that). The paint has one rock chip (on a rocker panel) and some scratches (not deep) on the front bumper. I found one cut mark in one of the door panels. One rocker panel was a bit loose. The biggest problem was the driver-side door handle. It was scratched up (similar to the picture someone posted) and was getting stuck in the open position. That is the reason for 6 hour wait. The car had was taken back to the shop to have it replaced. I also have the "infamous worm in the yoke" but other Tesla Model S on the lots also had it. It is not that visible unless you know it is there.

The trunk privacy panel and floor cover are missing. I was told, I would get them later. They are on back-order and all new Teslas are coming without them.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Also verify the car has the newest version headlights & tail lights. Thats a good indicator if the car has been manufactured earlier and still floating around for sale or not.
also, check the battery version.......make sure you look at all the panels and insure they are good.......make sure this car has not been registered to another person and then turned back into Tesla.....aske for the registration prior to transfer from Tesla to you