Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpectedly purchasing an M3 for delivery on Tuesday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a cashier’s check coming Monday for the majority of the payment but will still owe about $8K. If I select the make a payment option on their website and have it pay out of my checking account will it be received in time by Tesla for a Tuesday delivery or do I need to get a cashier’s check?

No need to pay them prior to delivery in CA. No need for cashiers check either. I wrote a personal check for the entire amount upon home delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Third confirmation of them accepting a personal check :) Good way to do it by the way. Gives you both a chance to inspect the car. I recommend a couple high lumen flashlights to go over the car before handing over that final check.

Wow scary but glad no one was hurt... I think you'll love the 3

Random question for other posters here - can someone do a walk-in like OP and use a referral before they drive off? 6mos free supercharging would be cool. Walk in and getting an LR is great, I've got some friends need convincing...

Enjoy the new 3!

Walk in use of referral code not a problem.

I purchased Model S in March 2017. In December 2017, wife and I stopped by a service center/sales center. They had a Model X on display. Wife took a seat in it, asked if we could test drive an X. Yes. Returned from the test drive, wife said, "Let's buy it," referring to the one on the floor. I asked if it was for sale, and salesman said probably not, but let me ask manager. Returned with a "yes, for sale now" response. We purchased the vehicle then, and I used a referral code from myself. Car was delivered to our home five days later (home delivery in NH to avoid MA sales taxes).

We installed a 14-50 outlet and used a corded mobile charge cable with it so it stays in the wall full time. The plug is very flat so things tend to hang more straight down the wall. Some people have a narrow garage space and don’t have a lot of walk-around space between their car (with open doors) and their wall. The speed the 14-50 charges at is just fine for us. But honestly we could have just as easily left our mobile connector at home in the wall as we don’t travel much and every place we travel would have ChargePoint or such service available that has the hose and wand. Only thing we’ve ever needed in our travels is the J1772 adapter the car comes with to plug into their charging wand. If you travel to camp grounds etc. where you wouldn’t have an EVSE available, you’d likely want to take your whole kit for the trip.

Not sure what your quote came in at for your run for the dedicated circuit, but if you want to save the $500 for the HPWC, the 14-50 would be the way to go. And do ask for a high quality recepticle as someone mentioned. My husband when we were scheduling our install wasn’t sure if we’d have a second EV and if it would be another Tesla (love driving our MS so much we now have a Model 3 when we were ready to replace our second car) so that concern didn’t pan out but understand your thinking. The 14-50 does solve that though.

Should also mention that in addition to local utility rebates (PG&E up in northern Calif has one for $500, which was recently upped to $800–although wonder with the Camp Fire if there will still be funds for that down the road), some southern Calif cities may offer their own. I forgot which city that was that I specifically read about. And there is also a limited credit?—federal I think—depending on your tax situation to reimburse you for your EV charging installation. If you qualify, that might play into your decision. Pretty sure it included the equipment, labor and permit, but check. Just make sure you keep all your receipts for tax time.

I performed the Bank to Tesla fund transfer on a Saturday night and they had it validated they got the entire car payment when I picked it up.

So, yes, I think they will. If you can print on your side the transfer completion or take a picture with your phone to have as backup proof. I think they get notice of the payment from their side even if their bank holds the transfer a few days.

Reactions: Emmexx1
I performed the Bank to Tesla fund transfer on a Saturday night and they had it validated they got the entire car payment when I picked it up.

So, yes, I think they will. If you can print on your side the transfer completion or take a picture with your phone to have as backup proof. I think they get notice of the payment from their side even if their bank holds the transfer a few days.

Regarding payment, I thought about making a wire transfer for the part I am paying for (I am financing a bit of it so I can get the performance 3+ version), but I want to look at the car first. When you buy a "regular" car, ordered or not, you get to look at the car before you go sign whatever paperwork you will be signing in the "finance office".

I dont want to have problems picking up the car, so I asked my owner advisor (and the manager at the local tesla store) repeatedly if I would have issues giving them a cashiers check and a bank draft (bank draft = check for the part I am financing). They repeatedly said "no problem" but they are not in delivery so I was still worried a bit.

Nice to read that they even took personal checks for what would be pretty large amounts. If they took a personal check, a bank draft and cashiers check from a large credit union (Navy Fed) should be fine in my case.

Reactions: Akikiki
We picked up our car from the Fremont Delivery Center and did an all cash purchase in the form of a check. Some states have different requirements but if they said it’s not a problem for you I wouldn’t worry about it. Besides you are in the same state as us. We were taken to our car to inspect and note any due bill issues we might have had, then we went inside and did the paperwork and gave them our check. Homeward bound after that. Good luck on your delivery.

OK, I've read enough threads in this forum about delivery problems, so I knew going into this that it may not go smoothly. Unfortunately, so far it is not. My Tuesday delivery was cancelled. The Costa Mesa delivery center says they don't know where the car is and can't give me any estimate of a delivery date. The owner advisor says the car is in Costa Mesa and the delivery center guy I'm speaking with is wrong. Now I can't get anyone to call me back.

When I purchased this car it was an inventory car, and the OA said it was ready for immediate delivery within 24 hours. Now they can't even find the car. Apparently it's either in Marina Del Rey, Costa Mesa, or anywhere in between in transit. I know they are pushing a lot of deliveries through this month due to the tax credit phase out, but it's still disappointing that I can't get a consistent answer from anyone on where the car is physically located or when it may be ready for me. And it seems like everyone we speak to sounds like they just graduated from high school...

Getting close to the end. If is an inventory car, you probably would be happy with even another inventory car. So, I would not waste any more time waiting on this one. (Chances are its been sold and delivered within that same 24 hours) to someone else.) I'd start looking at another inventory car that was already close by. But that's just my thoughts. Who knows, they might just find the first one if you start looking at a second one. Besides you just double your chances of taking delivery before year end by looking at another and willing to take it.

Update: I received a call from the OA stating the car is in Costa Mesa. I asked him to have the most experienced DA in Costa Mesa call me and advise status. It turns out the car has been there all week, but in an offsite parking lot that the first DA I spoke to was not familiar with. So they could have delivered the car on Tuesday as it was originally schedule. Now I'm scheduled to pick up the car tomorrow morning now. Hopefully it will go smoothly from here.

• Love
Reactions: Akikiki
We had no plans to buy a Tesla until last Wednesday, when a driver on the freeway fell asleep and crashed into my husband’s Prius at 30mph. The car was totaled. I sent him down to the local store at Fashion Island (Newport Beach) and told him to test drive an M3 and see what he thinks. He loved it, and they had an M3 LR RWD ready for immediate delivery, so we went ahead and purchased it. It’s black/black, EAP, no other options.

So we’re heading to the service center in Costa Mesa on Tuesday to pick it up. I have arranged for an electrician to install the Wall connector on Thursday. I haven’t purchased the wall connector yet but it’s in stock at the Costa Mesa service center. If anyone has any thoughts on whether we should go with the connector or just install the 240V outlet I’m open to any feedback on the subject.

The overall sales experience was very positive, and I was pleased they had some in stock for immediate delivery, although they seemed confident we could place an order online and still have a December delivery. This is our first EV so any suggestions on what we should be aware of as we get ready to take delivery would be greatly appreciated.

One thing I had to research was the CA EV $2,500 rebate. The income restrictions were a bit confusing to me because based on this year’s income we would qualify, but based on last year’s income we would not. I called the CARB and they told me that if I waited until I filed my 2018 tax returns and then submitted the rebate request, I could qualify using 2018 tax returns. That was a big relief as I could not find any documentation on the web site to support whether we could do this. They said we have 18 months from the date of purchase to file the rebate request actually.

Anyways, looking forward to taking delivery next week and learning a lot from the forum members here. Thanks!

Regarding buying Tesla connector vs 240v outlet.... there's a YouTube video on this that might help you decide what is best for you.

Basically it's going to cost $500 more for the Tesla connector part than a $10 Nema 15-40 (240v) plug. Labor would be about the same cost. A Tesla connector is going to look nicer in the garage if you have a finished garage and is more convenient to use plus it will charge a little faster. 240v will be less expensive to install and a little less convenient to use because you will be using the mobile connector that comes with the car and have to hang the cords etc on a hook of some kind on the wall Also you will have to unplug and stow the mobile connector in the car if you want to take it with you on a trip if not using a supercharger at some other location while traveling.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Update: I received a call from the OA stating the car is in Costa Mesa. I asked him to have the most experienced DA in Costa Mesa call me and advise status. It turns out the car has been there all week, but in an offsite parking lot that the first DA I spoke to was not familiar with. So they could have delivered the car on Tuesday as it was originally schedule. Now I'm scheduled to pick up the car tomorrow morning now. Hopefully it will go smoothly from here.
Best of luck with your delivery. I also had a great sales experience and wall connector install but the delivery process was a mess and a joke. The entire process at the service center where I picked up the car seemed like it was run by kids in college who don't like their jobs. I have complained to Tesla via the Manage button in my account. They got back to me acknowledging that they are working on improving the process. I hope your experience is better.

I hope the delivery today goes well!!

I had something similar happen a few weeks ago. I was notified the day before scheduled pick up that there was a problem with my MR and that I could either get one in a different color, wait for it to be resolved, or take an identical (white-aero-EAP) LR-RWD for only a few hundred more. I said the LR would be fine and when I arrived the next day, the people working with me showed me that it was actually a LR-AWD and that I was going to have to pay a few thousand (as opposed to hundred) more for it. At that point I was prepared to do it but it threw my entire payment/financing into flux (my loan check was pre-populated and I was already planning to put a lot down in cash and didn't have enough extra to cover the difference).

So as I'm preparing to Uber to my bank to get a new check made out, the rep I spoke to the day before mysteriously appears and tells me that I'm supposed to have a LR-RWD and only pay a few hundred more--as originally indicated. (But, I can have the LR-AWD for a few thousand if that's what I want.) Only issue is the LR-RWD is in Baltimore: I was in Northern VA. I ended up losing 3 hours in the middle of the work day and returning that night to pick up the LR-RWD. I'm happy to have gotten a deal on this vehicle; but, still sometimes think about what life would be like with the AWD! :)

Point is to hang in there, they are working hard. And I've been very happy with the car. Even if I haven't figured out a home charging situation yet.

We had no plans to buy a Tesla until last Wednesday, when a driver on the freeway fell asleep and crashed into my husband’s Prius at 30mph. The car was totaled. I sent him down to the local store at Fashion Island (Newport Beach) and told him to test drive an M3 and see what he thinks. He loved it, and they had an M3 LR RWD ready for immediate delivery, so we went ahead and purchased it. It’s black/black, EAP, no other options.

So we’re heading to the service center in Costa Mesa on Tuesday to pick it up. I have arranged for an electrician to install the Wall connector on Thursday. I haven’t purchased the wall connector yet but it’s in stock at the Costa Mesa service center. If anyone has any thoughts on whether we should go with the connector or just install the 240V outlet I’m open to any feedback on the subject.

The overall sales experience was very positive, and I was pleased they had some in stock for immediate delivery, although they seemed confident we could place an order online and still have a December delivery. This is our first EV so any suggestions on what we should be aware of as we get ready to take delivery would be greatly appreciated.

One thing I had to research was the CA EV $2,500 rebate. The income restrictions were a bit confusing to me because based on this year’s income we would qualify, but based on last year’s income we would not. I called the CARB and they told me that if I waited until I filed my 2018 tax returns and then submitted the rebate request, I could qualify using 2018 tax returns. That was a big relief as I could not find any documentation on the web site to support whether we could do this. They said we have 18 months from the date of purchase to file the rebate request actually.

Anyways, looking forward to taking delivery next week and learning a lot from the forum members here. Thanks!
My experience is very similar to yours. Four months ago, fter going (with my wife) to see an M3 she urged me to buy it and, that same day, I did. They delivered in 9 days and I have been extremely happy. I had installed a 220V outlet that works great for me. I got a EV rate from PGE. It's a lower rate if you charge between 11:00PM and 7AM. Perfect, set the timer in the car and go to bed.

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
While many people can get by with a 14-50 outlet, I highly recommend getting a Wall Connector if at all possible. And Tesla agrees "We recommend installing a Wall Connector at home and leaving the Tesla Mobile Connector in the trunk of the car as a backup option while traveling."

For only $500 you get all of these benefits:
  • Faster charge rate using the same circuit size as a 14-50.
  • Even faster charging if you install it on a 60-100 amp circuit.
  • Hardwired instead adapters with two sets of connectors
    • Fewer connectors means better safety and more reliability
  • No wall plug, prevents kids from getting shocked/electrocuted
  • Heavy duty charge cable, much less heating of the plug and cable.
  • Built in cable strain relief, no support bracket to custom fashion.
  • Holster for the plug end when not being used.
  • Much safer and more reliable than having TWO extra sets of connectors for the Mobile Connector adapters.
  • Can then leave the Mobile Connector in the car where it belongs for road trips.
  • Looks much better than the MC dangling from an outlet, keeps the SO happy.
  • Two to four Wall Connectors can share the same circuit and charge multiple cars simultaneously.
  • Avoids confusion of finding adapters to other outlet types besides supplied 14-50 and 5-15 adapters

Reactions: BrokerDon
We bought an additional Tesla mobile connector from Tesla for $300 which puts out 32 amps at 220V. This is more than sufficient to charge a car with a big battery like the 3. It plugs into a 1450 outlet and you can use the one that comes with the 3 until a new one arrives. There is no other charger that comes close to this charger in quality and features. we bought one for our house and one for our cottage. You can buy holsters that mount on the wall made for this charger. In fact you may find that charging on 120V will recharge around 40 miles a day which covers most people's commute. The beauty of a large battery EV is you can use the battery as a storage medium to average out your higher and lower usage days. As long as your average per day doesn't exceed 40 miles, 120V charging works great.
And BTW - you will never need to charge any other EV, because once you own a Tesla you never go back.

Make sure that even the same lemmeeds to be put on a due bill. I had home delivery from Costa Mesa and missed several things (like a small wheel nick that could only be seen if the nick was at the top of its rotation) and the response was it was not noted on your due bill, so no we can’t be held responsible. I actually never got one. The delivery person was in a Lyft 20 minutes after showing up.

Also, park the car so that the windshield is at a right angle to the sun (so being in So Cal, if sun is south, then point it east or west) so the light grazes the front windshield. Mine had clear overspray and tape marks, but again I didn’t see it until the next morning driving east taking my kid to school. They can’t address it until Dec 13, bu I did with a cleaner wax. This was also on a car I was told had not been reworked.

If I had to do it over again, I’d have hired a neutral paint/body car inspector to be there with me and I would have gone to Costa Mesa and picked it up. Then I could have a discussion about flaws and solutions, etc.

Also in hindsight, I would have/should have returned the car. Not because the issues are not addressable (I’ll have to fight for the wheel, and what looks like a ding on a panel crease), but because I got no call backs until after 72 hours from Costa Mesa, and then it was “sorry about that, but without a due bill, we can’t do anything, and it’s to late to return it. Call service.”

All resolvable, but nothing like my Model S experience, which had issues, but I always felt taken care of, vs being taken. I think a large part of this is Costa Mesa.

Hopefully, it goes well!

I bought a Clipper Creek, with an L14-50, for my Volt years ago and it has worked perfectly with my P3 using the J-1772 adapter. While it can charge at 40 amps continuously I charge the car overnight at 10 amps. 40 amps is 9.6kW and I think the car can only charge at 10kW using an L2 EVSE so I'm not missing much and I have the ability to charge any EV, not just a Tesla. With the many BEVs expected in the market in the next 5 years I think this is just a little better future proofing.