Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexplained Reduced Regen Braking...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:(I've had 2019.40.50.7 for several weeks now. I charged my Model 3 this past weekend. Charged to 80%, and realized regen braking was reduced. After several day of driving, strong regen braking hasn't returned. I checked settings and regen braking is set to "standard". I changed to "low" and then back to standard with no change. Any suggestions?

When it's less than 50 degrees, regen doesn't work well. If it's less than 30 degrees, it doesn't work at all on the new
Tesla's. I have a 2015 model S and the regen works fine at lower temperatures, but my new 2020 model X has almost no regen at low temperatures. I don't know what they changed but regen is much different now.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
Latest versions of software have really cranked up the regen numbers. I was at less than 50% battery and over 40 degrees and was still getting limited regen.

Nothing to worry about, it's just an indication that you may have to use the brakes a little more.
Also, with limited regen, it's only limited, so you will probably still get a lot of regen, just not the maximum.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
regen does not work in cold weather. Is it cold where you are? Once the motor and battery warm up, you should slowly start regaining your regen. Try using scheduled departure, it should precondition your car so that regen will me more consistent

:)Thanks for the information. It was 57 degrees in central Virginia this evening when I left work. I noticed more regen braking than the last couple of days. I love regen braking and was surprised when I didn't have as much as I was accustomed to.

I had reduced regen braking after V10. In fact, the whole one-pedal-driving experience was nothing like it was, I had to use the brakes again, where before it would track the accel pedal position nicely, all the way down to a full stop/hold.

So today I tried setting it to Low Regen (while driving ;-), driving for a while, then setting it back to Standard.

Wow. Sure seems like a night and day difference. The old single pedal driving is baaack! It feels great.

In software terms, it's a plausible oversight -- Okay, "bug" -- where a system doesn't re-read some option settings after an update. So try it. No harm done if it doesn't help in your case.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life