Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unfinished installation: Is this common?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After two years(!!!) since initial deposit and contract, Tesla came out today at 7am to install our 6.8kW solar setup. They just left at 9pm and said they ‘still had a number of items on the punch list’ and we would be put back on the schedule, ‘hopefully within a couple weeks’.

Is this normal? The Powerwall team finished their part and were gone by 5 and said the solar would be charging the powerwalls for use before having to wait for inspections and utility signoff but now it seems like it’ll be two weeks (at the most optimistic, but based on experience I wouldn’t be surprised by several months) before the installation is complete.

I’d really hoped this saga was over but I guess it’s back to the phones tomorrow morning…

Tesla installs are all over the map with some going perfectly in 1 day and some, dragging out like yours for 2+ years and it's still not done. I'd say 2 years is not common though and I'd be concerned with NEM3.0 and try to get them to find some ways to just get it over the finish line if you can. At least you probably saved $$ since your pricing is probably much lower than current installs.

Reading the horror stories about tesla makes me glad we went with Sunrun. Granted they were more expensive, but from time of order to activation, it was only 2 1/2 months.
In January we actually talked to SunRun and two other installers but in addition to much higher panel costs they wanted $16,000 per powerwall (we got teo) rather than ~$6,500 each from Tesla. I just couldn’t justify it.

In January we actually talked to SunRun and two other installers but in addition to much higher panel costs they wanted $16,000 per powerwall (we got teo) rather than ~$6,500 each from Tesla. I just couldn’t justify it.
Sorry for the hassle, but reading the stories here, it happens. Once it is running, I hope that you will be able to focus on the savings and the energy that you have.

So, yes, back to the phone banks...

All the best,

BG

• Love
Reactions: feslatan