Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unfortunate incident with my P85+ last night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So last night I went to church to go pray arrived at 6:55pm, went inside right at 7pm, came out at 7:30pm on the nose to find that my passenger front window had been smashed and my wife's iPhone stolen. I called the Las Vegas Metro Police Department, because I tracked the phone and also to report the theft, but they simply took my info over the phone and said all they could do was take a phone statement and wouldn't do anything for the phone. Glass everywhere inside the car, have to replace the glass, replace the chrome trim around window, mirror casing, and the center console sliding covers. It appeared the thief tried to open the center console like a traditional console and ripped off the sliders in the process. Not worth it to claim to insurance as the damage will likely be less than my $1k deductible. I wasn't planning on posting in the first place, but I really have to shout out to Tesla Las Vegas Service Center. I called them at 9am this morning when they opened, they gave me a rental car to drive at no expense, they have the window, chrome frame, mirror casing, and everything in stock and will have my car back to me today. You can't beat service like that, Ethan, Tony, and Jessica have been awesome since the moment I got my car. They've really gone out of their way on multiple occasions. Obviously, it's a case of a material possession at the end of the day and no one was hurt luckily so I'm thankful for that. I also want to publicly thank Eco-Tint here in Las Vegas, they aren't charging me to re-tint my window either. There service has been amazing as well.

It's a relief to know that when something unfortunate and unforeseen happens like this, you have the people like Tesla and Eco-tint there to alleviate any more headaches. I don't know what a lengthy process this would've been from a traditional dealership.

Here's some pics of the damage.
2014-01-19 19.57.07.jpg
2014-01-19 19.57.11.jpg
2014-01-19 19.57.21.jpg

It is shameful that the police will not use the "find my iPhone" feature to find the perps and stop them from doing more damage. Perhaps a Private Investigator could find them.

GSP

Well, that sucks.

My wife says I'm paranoid, but I never, ever leave something of any value visible in the car. No bags, purse, coat, phone, etc.

Wife said she had the phone hidden in the cubby under the NAV console...

- - - Updated - - -

It is shameful that the police will not use the "find my iPhone" feature to find the perps and stop them from doing more damage. Perhaps a Private Investigator could find them.

GSP
Was just better off to erase the phone remotely before the person made expensive charges or found valuable info within the phone itself.

This may be helpful in this situation.

There is a "lost mode" for Find my iPhone that lets you keep tracking the phone while locking out access with a PIN code: What to do if your iOS device is lost or stolen

Also, with iOS 7, you will still keep the thief from erasing and reactivating your phone even if it is erased: iCloud: Find My iPhone Activation Lock in iOS 7

Yea I thought about that, but I figured if he could work around the lock features, and the Find My iPhone activation lock, which whomever he sold the phone probably could, then it wouldn't be worth it to compromise the data inside the phone. Better to write it off, and know that the photos, docs, and other personal info are deleted. These days, losing your phone is worse than losing your wallet IMO.

Well, that sucks.

My wife says I'm paranoid, but I never, ever leave something of any value visible in the car. No bags, purse, coat, phone, etc.

After having my car broken into three times in Australia, I usually leave nothing in the car especially in a "not so good area" I'll even leave my glovebox open. (With nothing in it)

Yea I thought about that, but I figured if he could work around the lock features, and the Find My iPhone activation lock, which whomever he sold the phone probably could, then it wouldn't be worth it to compromise the data inside the phone. Better to write it off, and know that the photos, docs, and other personal info are deleted. These days, losing your phone is worse than losing your wallet IMO.

It is very doubtful that the new "owner" can bypass the activation lock on iOS 7.

I'd recommend "finding the iPhone" and reporting the location to police. You don't really wanna show up to the criminal's house yourself lol

My IT guy for my office had his Ipad stolen at a gas station. Tracked it to a house, called police who responded only to the street. He went and knocked on the door, and an argument ensued that the occupant did not have it. My friend set off the alarm on the Ipad, you could hear it, and said " give it back, or the guy on the street is comming in next" It was delivered in 10 seconds. No charges filed.

Last edited:
My IT guy for my office had his Ipad stolen at a gas station. Tracked it to a house, called police who responded only to the street. He went and knocked on the door, and an argument ensued that the occupant did not have it. My friend set off the alarm on the Ipad, you could hear it, and said " give it back, or the guy on the street is comming in next" It was delivered in 10 seconds. No charges filed.

Yea that type of confrontation just isn't worth it, IMO. The person could be on drugs, have a weapon etc.

I believe there is a "special place" for those who break the commandments in a place of worship.

Your restraint in this matter is extremely commendable. Especially with the technology to track so readily available and those paid to "serve and protect" so willing to do neither. It's great that a positive side was acknowledged and accolades were given where they were due, to those that helped make this no more painful than it already was.

Just curious, what does the TMS do to alert anyone that a window was broken? Lights? Horn? Tesla Service? App Alert?

I left my car unlocked outside of my office, and someone took my daughter's iPhone. I called the police and they gave me the cold shoulder just like they gave you and could not care less that I knew where the person was because of Find my iPhone. After unsuccessfully trying to convince them to care, I tracked the guy down with some friends and tow and -- luckily -- was able to retrieve it without much ado in exchange for a promise not to report the thief. The police department finally called me back 8 hours later to take a report and I didn't even bother picking up the call.

It seems that setting up speed traps and trying to pad their budgets have clearly taken priority over crime these days here in Vegas. Pathetic...

So sorry Hussain.

FWIW, I do not have a center console, and do have an iPhone. Rule 1 is to not have any white accessories visible, e.g. iPhone charging/USB cable, Apple iPhone earbuds, etc. I bought a Belkin Apple approved USB Lightning cable, which is black and coiled (like a 'conventional' handset cord) and looks very generic. From the above photos the white cord is very visible.

Everyone's responded on the iPhone stuff. So I'll respond to the insurance part. Someone tried to break into my old car twice (Maserati QP). Both times they shattered the glass but were not able to break through, due to the triple pane glass. Anyways, I called my insurance company and both times they covered it without using my deductible and it didn't show up on any Carfax since it wasn't an accident. So it could be worth calling your insurance company and asking them.

Everyone's responded on the iPhone stuff. So I'll respond to the insurance part. Someone tried to break into my old car twice (Maserati QP). Both times they shattered the glass but were not able to break through, due to the triple pane glass. Anyways, I called my insurance company and both times they covered it without using my deductible and it didn't show up on any Carfax since it wasn't an accident. So it could be worth calling your insurance company and asking them.

Right, in MA, glass is covered under the comprehensive...no deductible.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a window sticker "Trespassers will be shot on spot" would help?

Or how about "Smile, you are being filmed"