Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unfortunate Minor Side Effect from the Model S Fires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I have noticed over the past couple of weeks (at least from my own anecdotal evidence) is that more people have heard of Tesla and at least are aware of the fact that they make an electric car. Unfortunately, quite of few of the people who have just become aware of Tesla just know about it because of the fires, and the increased, hostile media coverage over the past month.

I frequently wear my black Tesla jacket, and strangers often ask me "Do you work for Tesla?" or "Do you own a Tesla?". After saying I own one, the next few questions used to almost always be about range and charging time. Now, they are quite often related to the fire issue, sometimes in the form of a joke like "Has it caught on fire yet?". I always take the time to try to explain the three incidents, and I think most people get it after hearing the facts rather that just seeing a news headline.

It is sort of sad that this negative association seems to exist among many people now. I think it will fade over time, and I am unfazed about Tesla's long-term prospects.

I just attended a four day legal conference with a group with whom I have been working for almost 20 years. I just have been asked 50 times (sarcastically) "have you caught fire yet?" I agree it's an unfortunate issue, but it just goes with the turf of owning a new and unusual vehicle. I simply responded "Wow, that's a comment I've only heard from 50 other people before you. I believe it's an incredibly safe car. It's too bad that all you know is what the media has sensationalized. How many of your (insert brand of car) have caught on fire in the last year?" Usually didn't hear any more about fires after that. If they contained to press (and several did), I just commented that I keep a raw turkey in the front to take advantage of any future fires and at least end up with my holiday dinner.

One thing I have noticed over the past couple of weeks (at least from my own anecdotal evidence) is that more people have heard of Tesla and at least are aware of the fact that they make an electric car.

For the first time in a long time, I had a car pull up beside me yesterday, wave to roll down the window and ask what kind of car I was driving. I said it's a Tesla and he said he'd never heard of it or seen one, and asked it it was European. I guess not everyone follows the news!

I guess we could just ignore it and it will go away? We don't say that particular word on the TMC forum and we're good? I just get tired of random people asking me about it, as I am sure many people here are.

I have absolutely no worries about the safety of my Tesla or the long-term viability of Tesla. I have not sold any of my Tesla stock.

I guess we could just ignore it and it will go away? We don't say that particular word on the TMC forum and we're good? I just get tired of random people asking me about it, as I am sure many people here are.

No, I just don't see the need for a separate thread. Comments like what you've experienced (and I've experienced) are reported again and again in the other threads re the fires. We're all tired of it, but not sure how starting a new thread is helpful.

Last edited:
@GlenAlanBerry

Unluckily the media are focused against Tesla now IMO not beacuse of the fires, that are only a pretext since statistically not significant and also because nobody got hurt in those incidents, but because of the great achievements that Tesla got and that nobody thought were possible. IMO Elon and Tesla will manage to get out of this situation brilliantly. The fire insurance that Tesla is giving for free now is a new standard in the automobile field and is already a revolutionary thing.
Now I am sure that Tesla will manage to work out also the situation with NHTSA brilliantly for one reason. The Model S is based on a new technology that has great margins of improvement. Just be faithful and wait.

@Glenn
I'm getting similar conversations but I think many of them are people just being social and trying to be topical. For example, I've had coworkers that I only talk to maybe once every few weeks make a point of asking me about it. I think they're just using it as a conversation starter to reconnect, and perhaps to learn more about how "people in the know" (owners) actually feel. A lot can be learned (by them) from your reaction.

I try to get across that I take the concern seriously (generally) but that the specifics (Tesla and media recently) are laughably absurd. If they seem the numbers type, then it's fun to veer off into how bad it really is for the ICE side of the story. If they seem like they're "over it" and want to move on, there's plenty of normal Tesla Time things to talk about.

What I try never to do is come across as hostile, defensive, or over-protective as I think that does more harm than good.

All that said, I agree we didn't need another thread to put the horse carcass up on a pedestal again for ritual beating.