Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy: Refreshed Plaid Shredded Tire and Damaged Rim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1600 miles on my Plaid and just hit an unmarked raised manhole cover on my drive home a little while ago. Shredded the right rear tire and damaged the rim. Supposed to be heading on vacation tomorrow (driving the Tesla), and now need to deal with this in the am. The car is safely parked and I'm debating whether to have it flat bedded to a Tesla SC or a tire shop. Anyone have any sense for whether SCs stock replacement arachnid wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires? Alternatively, anyone have a sense for whether this wheel damage is repairable? Thanks in advance.

(Btw, my next project will be to seek some sort of coverage from the state. I pulled into a car dealership right after the incident. Went inside to let them know I'd be leaving my car there overnight, and they told me four other people had the same thing happen today, including their finance manager. Crazy.)

Attachments

• 65154178646__EC9B4812-D170-4188-A93C-04EC174FE541.jpeg
    65154178646__EC9B4812-D170-4188-A93C-04EC174FE541.jpeg
    404.1 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_1854.jpeg
    IMG_1854.jpeg
    718.8 KB · Views: 219
1600 miles on my Plaid and just hit an unmarked raised manhole cover on my drive home a little while ago. Shredded the right rear tire and damaged the rim. Supposed to be heading on vacation tomorrow (driving the Tesla), and now need to deal with this in the am. The car is safely parked and I'm debating whether to have it flat bedded to a Tesla SC or a tire shop. Anyone have any sense for whether SCs stock replacement arachnid wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires? Alternatively, anyone have a sense for whether this wheel damage is repairable? Thanks in advance.

(Btw, my next project will be to seek some sort of coverage from the state. I pulled into a car dealership right after the incident. Went inside to let them know I'd be leaving my car there overnight, and they told me four other people had the same thing happen today, including their finance manager. Crazy.)
I feel for you. The Dedham or Peabody SC would be your best bet for finding a tire in stock but they are going to charge you the stealership mark up.

And I can tell you right now, attempting to get money back from the state of MA because of a pothole or manhole cover is a losing proposition.

That’s considered a drivable road in Boston?

Reactions: sdq_11 and AMGF
Thanks all. Update: spent several hours today dealing with this. Had the car flat bedded first thing this morning to the nearest "big" tire shop (Town Fair Tire) in hopes their inventory would be best, and knowing I wouldn't easily be able to get any meaningful info on Tesla SC tire inventory. Neither Town Fair, nor any other tire shop nearby, had the required 295 30 R21 Pilot Sport 4s - soonest a tire shop could get it would be tomorrow, shipped from the midwest. Reached my Tesla SA, who was super helpful and helped me contact the parts dept at the Dedham, Mass SC. They reported they had one tire. Went there. Turned out it was 265, not 295. Honest mistake but frustrating. They called all the surrounding SCs, and located one for me another 35 min faster away from my house and the tire shop (Norwell, Mass). Went there. Bought the tire ($100 cheaper than at Town Fair!) and drove it to Town Fair. They mounted it. All this basically consumed my time from 8am to 3pm and took like 90 miles of driving.

Tesla needs a charge -- as do I -- so vacation starts at 6am tomorrow instead of today. Wheel needs cosmetic repair but is serviceable.

Now I'm toying with getting a set of 20s from Signature (in addition to the 19" winters I'm already going to order). . . that extra inch of sidewall may be really desirable.

Oh, and they paved around that %&$!@ manhole cover. Had to drive past it like 4 times during today's saga.

Of course all of this is one giant first world problem, so it's hard to get too fussed in the grand scheme of things.

Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear about it. It is also one of the reasons I avoid ultra low profile tires. I remember another car I had with a 30 series aspect ratio. I got 3 flats (one of them a pinch flat) in one week in DC. There wasn't another tire to be found in a 300 mile radius after I bought the last one.

So unless it is a truck, I am going to be rolling on 19's or smaller on most cars. Not enough benefit for the reduced sidewall height vs the day to day issues.

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV
What a PITA - sorry it delayed your vacation. I drive to / in Boston quite a bit, not sure whose roads are worse, yours or ours here in DC. I trashed two 21” tires on a pothole on the BW Parkway not so long ago (also right before a planned road trip), which precipitated my switch to 19”s. But I don’t have a Plaid, so I ‘m unlikely to really notice the difference in handling :D

Last edited:
Reactions: jleonk
On the upside, it's still a pretty ok car. Eyes go right to the ding in the wheel though - will take it to get fixed when I put on the winter wheels (Signature SV702 19s on order).

Attachments

• IMG_2003.jpeg
    IMG_2003.jpeg
    907.1 KB · Views: 125
Thanks all. Update: spent several hours today dealing with this. Had the car flat bedded first thing this morning to the nearest "big" tire shop (Town Fair Tire) in hopes their inventory would be best, and knowing I wouldn't easily be able to get any meaningful info on Tesla SC tire inventory. Neither Town Fair, nor any other tire shop nearby, had the required 295 30 R21 Pilot Sport 4s - soonest a tire shop could get it would be tomorrow, shipped from the midwest. Reached my Tesla SA, who was super helpful and helped me contact the parts dept at the Dedham, Mass SC. They reported they had one tire. Went there. Turned out it was 265, not 295. Honest mistake but frustrating. They called all the surrounding SCs, and located one for me another 35 min faster away from my house and the tire shop (Norwell, Mass). Went there. Bought the tire ($100 cheaper than at Town Fair!) and drove it to Town Fair. They mounted it. All this basically consumed my time from 8am to 3pm and took like 90 miles of driving.

Tesla needs a charge -- as do I -- so vacation starts at 6am tomorrow instead of today. Wheel needs cosmetic repair but is serviceable.

Now I'm toying with getting a set of 20s fro
tire2-jpg.707073
m Signature (in addition to the 19" winters I'm already going to order). . . that extra inch of sidewall may be really desirable.

Oh, and they paved around that %&$!@ manhole cover. Had to drive past it like 4 times during today's saga.

Of course all of this is one giant first world problem, so it's hard to get too fussed in the grand scheme of things.
Just had a similar thing happen to me. Called the Discount Tire near me. They said there were two different PS4 tires that fit the car. The ones that Tesla ships with the car have foam in them and then there are ones without foam!? He said if I went with the "non foam" version, they could replace the tire tomorrow. With foam would be a week. He said there'd be no noticable difference between the two. No idea what to do.

Mind me asking what Tesla charged you for the tire replacement?

Attachments

• tire2.JPG
    tire2.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 345
Reactions: Ormond