Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with FSD sales and pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has been pretty direct with scamming even the most loyal fans. But if you're thinking of buying FSD, just consider that first day reservation people have been waiting close to three years for FSD -- and counting. Then Elon says during the fourth quarter earnings report call that Tesla isn't considering transferring ownership to a new car. For perspective, you buy software in mostly everywhere else, and it easily continues on to the next device, be it iPad, iphone, Android, etc. Perhaps Elon knew everyone would just assume if you're putting this amount of money into a software that hasn't even been released, the decent thing to do is to at least do the same thing. NOPE.

If you buy FSD, and you get into a bad accident with it, and say you're forced to buy a used car, insurance won't take into account the value of that software. If this happens anytime soon or has happened to, imagine, a first day reservation Model 3, that person would never even experience that software. Bottom line, Tesla will have used those thousands to build their company, promised you something, and you actually won't even get that something. That is totally unheard of. That is incredibly wrong.

So basically, there's a whole group of people who bought this software for a cheaper price, but are not taking into account the risk of actually buying something that they may never actually receive. Or if they do receive it, these consumers need to also keep in mind that the discount is one thing, but the years shaved off the car itself is another consideration.

Elon's strategy is simple. Get his company profitable. Use your money to do it. Promise FSD for 2019, 2020, 2021 -- and so on... Get the company to profit. Screw the consumers on whose backs Tesla was build on. And these consumers, if the car has been spared of any major accidents, will receive the software possibly with half the life of the car remaining.

If you don't think this is a major scam, Elon by the way isn't new to scams. Remember when he offered all these Tesla Model S owners free supercharging. Those old school nickel / aluminum / magnanese / cobalt batteries are already subject to dying out faster than the newer, more advanced batteries, but also supercharging your car for free only encourages batteries to die out faster and, later, this person will be coming to Tesla to replace their battery, which will pay back all the "free" electricity fees to begin with.

Not sure why so much venom, but I’d like to share an alternate experience/perspective.

We have three Teslas (an S, a Y and a 3). I’ve a Cybertruck on order and new S on order as well.

With each, we purchased FSD going back to 2018 and received free supercharging for life on our S.

I put nearly 40K of miles on the S in that time and used Superchargers pretty much exclusively- free.

During that span, there were times gas was crazy expensive and it honestly saved me thousands and I loved each time I’d use the Superchargers, knowing that for me, it was free...forever.

Have never had trouble with the battery, at all.

As far as FSD, honestly, it’s been a joy to watch it evolve and get better and better, over time.

I KNEW going in that all of it was Beta and not finished product, but honestly...there is nothing more amazing out there and all the updates, as the come, are free of charge (other than your initial cost).

I LOVE gifts that keep on giving and for me, it’s like that.

I WILL purchase FSD on our new S and Cyber Truck and fully anticipate it will just keep getting better and better... but...even if it functioned as it does now..actually..in Elon’s words..”worth it!”

FSD is an ok deal, definitely not a scam

Screenshot_20210129-085701_Chrome.jpg

Tesla has been pretty direct with scamming even the most loyal fans. But if you're thinking of buying FSD, just consider that first day reservation people have been waiting close to three years for FSD -- and counting. Then Elon says during the fourth quarter earnings report call that Tesla isn't considering transferring ownership to a new car. For perspective, you buy software in mostly everywhere else, and it easily continues on to the next device, be it iPad, iphone, Android, etc. Perhaps Elon knew everyone would just assume if you're putting this amount of money into a software that hasn't even been released, the decent thing to do is to at least do the same thing. NOPE.

If you buy FSD, and you get into a bad accident with it, and say you're forced to buy a used car, insurance won't take into account the value of that software. If this happens anytime soon or has happened to, imagine, a first day reservation Model 3, that person would never even experience that software. Bottom line, Tesla will have used those thousands to build their company, promised you something, and you actually won't even get that something. That is totally unheard of. That is incredibly wrong.

So basically, there's a whole group of people who bought this software for a cheaper price, but are not taking into account the risk of actually buying something that they may never actually receive. Or if they do receive it, these consumers need to also keep in mind that the discount is one thing, but the years shaved off the car itself is another consideration.

Elon's strategy is simple. Get his company profitable. Use your money to do it. Promise FSD for 2019, 2020, 2021 -- and so on... Get the company to profit. Screw the consumers on whose backs Tesla was build on. And these consumers, if the car has been spared of any major accidents, will receive the software possibly with half the life of the car remaining.

If you don't think this is a major scam, Elon by the way isn't new to scams. Remember when he offered all these Tesla Model S owners free supercharging. Those old school nickel / aluminum / magnanese / cobalt batteries are already subject to dying out faster than the newer, more advanced batteries, but also supercharging your car for free only encourages batteries to die out faster and, later, this person will be coming to Tesla to replace their battery, which will pay back all the "free" electricity fees to begin with.

your last paragraph is complete bull****. Tesla has a lot to do with the battery innovations your referring to, criticizing Tesla for using the best battery technology they had at them time AND giving a way free supercharging is FUD.

If you buy FSD, and you get into a bad accident with it, and say you're forced to buy a used car, insurance won't take into account the value of that software.

If your insurance doesn't pay you for the value of FSD it is your fault for not telling them you added it to the vehicle. As I have seen people where insurance has covered the value of EAP/FSD when a vehicle was totaled.

while I agree that FSD isn’t a “scam” using GM as an an excuse for Tesla seems pointless. Elon needs to deliver.

The OP seems to be focused on the cost aspect of FSD ("buy", "amount of money", "profitable"), so I'm just putting the cost in perspective.

It's funny that people think FSD should cost anywhere close to $10K. If Tesla delivers actual FSD, it'd be easily worth $40K+.

So yes, Elon needs to deliver, but once he does, expect FSD to cost a lot more than it does now. By then, people will have other things to complain about.

first day reservation people have been waiting close to three years for FSD
Three years before I got my 2016 Model X we were promised what is now known as Smart Summon but the goals and the hardware leapfrogged over the shipped kit (Mobileye divorce). There are features available for the price paid, they just don’t advance to the level implied by the beta label in any reasonable timeframe. What’s next: “No soup for you without an upgrade to HW4 which cannot retrofit to your car”?
later, this person will be coming to Tesla to replace their battery
except battery replacement is not an option for those early batteries (I have come and Tesla has told me “no” and aftermarket jobs start at $32k before any installation complications and availability is very limited).

This is true for most cars. Back in the 90s you can buy nav data for your Honda Odyssey. It doesn't transfer if you wreck the car and buying a new one. It sucks that a $10k software doesn't transfer unlike the $200 nav data, but it's probably tied to some EULA like we bought the unlocking rights to use the software, but the software is still owned by Tesla.

Free Supercharging only degrades battery a little. I super charged 50,000 miles so far and my battery drop is consistent with others due to BMS. My battery has been the same since 12k miles where it had a huge drop from 310 to 285. I'm at 285 since then and I only use free supercharging. On long trips I can get tp 295 miles at 100% but BMS will mess up again amd go back to 285 at local supercharging a few times.

No one is gonna pay 40k for fsd....

FSD is a marketing stunt, and its pretty good marketing because people really will pay 40k for FSD.

Driving anxiety is a bigger thing than most people acknowledge, and the cost to people is enormous.

For a long time I suffered from this to the point where I'd worry about getting somewhere without anything happening, and then I'd worry about getting home when I was there. If I had to drive someone it would be even worse.

It's not just driving. The first time I flew a plane I was so nervous that after I landed (yeah, he made me land on the first lesson) I went home as quickly as I could because I could feel myself getting diarrhea from the stress of it.

In both cases I just had to keep doing it.

With flying I stopped right before solo'ing. I like to say it was because of cost, and that I wasn't that into it. But, honestly I think solo'ing was the unconscious fear that likely stopped the justification. It's not too big of a deal as I wasn't that good anyways. The instructor called me average. Haha.

If Flying had any kind of autonomous mode that you could use AFTER getting your license I would have totally continued. Like autonomous drones that simply needed a licensed human to takeover in some cases.

With driving I just had to keep doing it. Eventually most of the anxiety went away. There are still situations I hate, and paying $40K for a full on L4/L5 capable vehicle would be a "take my money" situation.

I don't think HW3 FSD will ever get to true L4/L5, but even with L2 it could make some situations easier.

Even L2 might never happen because Navigate on City Streets is the last line item they show for FSD, and obviously that's not what the FSD beta is. So for now FSD is still marketing to me. We won't know otherwise until they actual release it to the masses.

Last edited:
The first time I flew a plane I was so nervous that after I landed (yeah, he made me land on the first lesson)
That's an interesting takeaway from your first demo flight or lesson. Equipped with dual flight controls, most students are thrilled to presume they made a landing on their first lesson. Generally it's a wonderful confidence builder that helps to motivate students to stick with the program. Sorry that your flight instructor didn't pick up on your concern. Undoubtedly the instructor was on the rudder pedals, assisting to land by gently flaring the plane with their right hand. Good times!

Reactions: pilotSteve
That's an interesting takeaway from your first demo flight or lesson. Equipped with dual flight controls, most students are thrilled to presume they made a landing on their first lesson. Generally it's a wonderful confidence builder that helps to motivate students to stick with the program. Sorry that your flight instructor didn't pick up on your concern. Undoubtedly the instructor was on the rudder pedals, assisting to land by gently flaring the plane with their right hand. Good times!

I tend to be the type that sucks it up to where no one really knows what's going on inside my body. I don't blame the instructor, and it was fun. During the early days taxi'ing was actually a pretty big struggle because my muscle memory just wasn't used to it.

Blind, handicaped, lost ability to drive for whatever reason? How much is personal independence worth? They will have plenty of customers for FSD...regardless of the price.

Dan

blind people with a history of DUIs and enough wealth to spend 100k on a car is a very niche market, but I appreciate your creativity the most.

blind people with a history of DUIs and enough wealth to spend 100k on a car is a very niche market, but I appreciate your creativity the most.

I have a blind friend that is waiting specifically for it. He said he'll spend whatever it costs the moment he is able to buy a car that can drive him places so he's not dependant on others to drive him. I bet that market is larger than you might think

I'm still waiting for star citizen to be released as a beta. It's still Alpha...:-( ...but it's fun though.

Reactions: fpatton