Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with FSD sales and pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the lawyers are limiting the release of FSD and FSD Betas. In addition, the new radar Elon and Tesla is installing will solve some issues obviously has encountered with FSD rewrite. If the rewrite "beta" could be widely released and just correctly implement what I have now installed in Beta, and work, I would be happy for awhile.

I have written twice to Tesla about FSD this year, asking them the following:

First - does a car without full self driving still follow the lane lines and slow down/speed up with traffic when Auto Pilot is triggered, or is some portion of that functionality part of the full self driving option? I'm pretty sure it's the former, but no-one has deigned to respond.

Second - what is Tesla’s position on issuing a prompt, full refund on the full self driving payment of $6,000, in the event that I were to tender such a request?

Third - if I were to request the full self driving refund, would Tesla be able to effectuate the change over the internet, or would the car have to be worked on at Littleton?

More recently, I alerted them that they have been in breach of their purchase agreement with me--which promised (on the website and from the lips of Musk) that I would receive FSD "by the end of the year" in 2019--for what is now approaching three years.

If I don't get a response fairly soon, they'll be received service of process.

I use Smart Summon almost every that I go to Costco, Home Depot, etc. I park in such a manner as I can see the car the entire time.
You are a brave man, @MikeHolliday. With all of the mistakes I've seen Smart Summon make, the only time I would use it would be to play with it in an empty or near-empty parking lot.

I watch it the entire time. I would not use it if there was a blind spot or hidden between cars. I have had my Model Y for 8 months and can only go by my experience over the last 8 months and not the early releases of summon.

My two complaints about summon would be, 1.) The distance from the vehicle. From my experience I would like to see it extended about 100 ft. 2.) Would be to increase the speed when in an open lane from about 1/2 mph to about 2 or 3 mph... Currently, I would describe the speed in summon as an extremely slow crawl and think that a casual walking speed would be reasonable...

Last edited:
I have written twice to Tesla about FSD this year, asking them the following:

First - does a car without full self driving still follow the lane lines and slow down/speed up with traffic when Auto Pilot is triggered, or is some portion of that functionality part of the full self driving option? I'm pretty sure it's the former, but no-one has deigned to respond.

Second - what is Tesla’s position on issuing a prompt, full refund on the full self driving payment of $6,000, in the event that I were to tender such a request?

Third - if I were to request the full self driving refund, would Tesla be able to effectuate the change over the internet, or would the car have to be worked on at Littleton?

More recently, I alerted them that they have been in breach of their purchase agreement with me--which promised (on the website and from the lips of Musk) that I would receive FSD "by the end of the year" in 2019--for what is now approaching three years.

If I don't get a response fairly soon, they'll be received service of process.
Pretty sure you have an arbitration clause in your purchase order. Just FYI.

Reactions: kablammyman
The frustrating thing is, this would seem fairly easy for them to follow through on. The next time they widen the FSD beta, why not do it ENTIRELY based on when the customer purchased FSD, starting with the earliest customers? Whether they widen the beta by 100 at a time or 1,000 at a time, at least customers who waited the longest will see it first.

What better criteria is there for widening the beta? I know that the early ~100 testers were selected largely on relationships and social media presence, but they could now move to a simpler model of FSD purchase date.

I understand the pain for early adopters but folks like me who recently purchased at a premium would be left out.

my 2 cents - open it up with beta acknowledgement (alter terms so that it could be removed if misused). As a software developer/tester/manager/leader - I would think I could offer some reasonable value/expectations without having a large social media audience.

Pick me!!

I purchased FSD almost three years ago expecting its fully operational version will be delivered in about two years. I have not seen much progress since other than a few video games which are totally worthless and ridiculous to have in a car. It seems like a con job. Every other new car seems to have the features that Tesla does and which they has been bragging about.
Where are the class action lawsuit attorneys when you need them?

• Love
Reactions: run-the-joules
I understand the pain for early adopters but folks like me who recently purchased at a premium would be left out.

my 2 cents - open it up with beta acknowledgement (alter terms so that it could be removed if misused). As a software developer/tester/manager/leader - I would think I could offer some reasonable value/expectations without having a large social media audience.

Pick me!!
As an engineer with over 20 years in electronics, open it to me also...

As an example of who not to release it to, I met a couple at my local SC who had a 3 week old Model 3 that had a small dent in one quarter panel and three corners scrapped (like 8 in. areas of scrapped paint as if they had brushed a brick wall) and when I asked them about the issues they were not even aware of them...

Reactions: K1Woods
Despite all the missed dates and unmet promises, I have remained cautiously optimistic that those of us who purchased FSD would eventually get something close to FSD with our current hardware.

This optimism was bolstered when the beta was released in October. However, given the almost total lack of communication from Tesla/Elon since the initial beta release, and the increasing time between beta releases, I'm starting to lose hope that anything like the FSD beta will ever make it to a wider release.

Paradoxically, I'm more disappointed with how Tesla has managed the last 5 months (since the beta release) than the last 5 years. The beta shows SO MUCH PROMISE, and rolling even *some* of these capabilities out to the public would be amazing. But they haven't released a single new AP/FSD capability (how about removing confirmation for traffic lights?), and have given no recent hints about when the beta might be widened.

I'm actually concerned that they have hit some kind of performance limit with the current FSD and they realize that a wide release just isn't practical. Back to the drawing board again?

I hope this post ages like milk :)

I fully agree. As a shareholder and 2x vehicle owner I'm worried that Elon's dangling carrot business growth technique is soon going to backfire.

I paid for FSD once and pretty much got nothing for it. Replaced it with a new Tesla and opted not to buy it. At 10K it is particularly ludicrous for what it actually offers. And yes, even incremental releases would keep the masses happy and on the edge of chairs waiting for what's next. The cars themselves though, are fantastic.

Necessity and sometimes desperation breed innovation. But as long as the company is flush with cash to the point where crypto becomes a part of growth strategy--and the stock remains in the stratosphere, there's little real *need* for them to do anything different, right now. I suspect (hope) that will change when markets normalize and competition gets closer to, catches, or surpasses Tesla.

Remember when he offered all these Tesla Model S owners free supercharging. Those old school nickel / aluminum / magnanese / cobalt batteries are already subject to dying out faster than the newer, more advanced batteries, but also supercharging your car for free only encourages batteries to die out faster and, later, this person will be coming to Tesla to replace their battery, which will pay back all the "free" electricity fees to begin with.

OP obviously has some anger at the business practices of Tesla.

But in terms of batteries, I hope that everyone recalls when supercharging was potentially seen to damage the battery life. At this point, Tesla changed the warranty of the Motor and battery to 8 full years at -- wait for it--- unlimited mileage. This specific act fully and directly undercuts the complaint above. At that time, people were wondering if batteries would last more than 4 years.

My 2014 Model S has free supercharging and free premium connectivity for life -- as well as a motor/battery warranty, and this is one reason I will not be buying a different car until September 8, 2022.

Also- paying $300/month for FSD - what a waste for most people- I could arrange a Lyft blackcar to drive me for that month and skip both the car and FSD. The value of a service, such as FSD, is very much based upon if I can do it myself. I will not pay for a live in cook for my food, a butler to dress me, or a FSD to drive me, until I can't do it myself.

Reactions: PrGrPa and am_dmd
This engineer bought FSD with my Model Y last summer. Wanted something fun to play with with ongoing new FSD evolutionary feature releases. Never had expectations of Level 5 by 2021 as I have some limited engineering knowledge of hardware & AI, but this impatient ex-redhead is growing concerned that no substantive FSD type improved features have even been talked about being released since last October. As a stockholder I don't want to see TSLA sued either.

If I was young (currently pushing 70) and lived in Scottsdale (I have been there a number of times on business trips and vacations in the past) I may not have paid for FSD. But I live in Ohio with cold winters and at times torrential rain. I love the fact that I can park at Home Depot, Costco etcetera, and summon you can without walking through snow, slush, or rain. And to me is FSD never fully comes to pass, I will be disappointed, but but regret the purchase due to the features that it offers someone like me.

Reactions: Mharda