Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with how trade in value decreased for unexplained reason [2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a lot of people are spoiled at the moment. Used car prices are at a high. But no matter what, everyone is going to only give a rough estimate sight unseen. Also, dealers have always been wildly different at their offers depending on what they are selling to you and whether they have a buyer that is wiling to take yours off their hands immediately. Tesla is no different than any other business, they will pay you what the car is worth to THEM, not you. Always shop around to other buyers before taking any trade in offer, trade ins have typically been the lowest offer of any buyer. This is not a new phenomena.

I requested an estimate at the end of August. When I got my estimate I decided to place an order. After you place the order the site has you upload pics (front, rears, both sides, passenger interior with both seats in view, and the odometer. After that your valuation shows as pending. When my final trade valuation came back it matched the original estimate and I accepted it.

I guess what I am saying is your results will vary.

Like many said - shop around, Tesla doesn't re-sell these vehicles and they honestly don't care whether you trade your car in or not.
There are some tax benefits (i.e. I'm in TX and I only pay tax on the net difference between trade & vehicle purchase price) but you don't have to like it and you don't have to trade it.
Just for comparison, a neighbor who has a 2020 MYP with 6700 miles, Tesla offered $53k for it, Carmax did $57k and Carvana did $57700.

I decided to trade in my 2018 Model 3 long range with upgraded white leather seats (aftermarket , $3k), upgraded autopilot, 66k miles. On the Tesla lot was told trade in would be about $22,800. Went to purchase new Model Y and was again given the same trade in value estimate. On-line. Went through all of the online ordering for new Y, having previously uploaded pictures (car is in excellent condition, no accidents, etc). Two days before delivery I’m asked about aftermarket upgrades so I uploaded receipts for upgrades that totaled $8,000, which would not have been considered in the basic trade-in estimate of $22,800. Today-1 day before delivery of new Y, Tesla gives me my final trade-in value. -take it or leave it- of $9,100. Somehow adding $8,000 of quality aftermarket upgrades REDUCED the total car value by 60%. Complete bullshit, bait-and-switch tactic, if it is not an error. Hardly worthy of a 1960s used car dealer, let alone the #1 automotive company in the world. Really, Elon? This had better be a mistake-will find out tomorrow when I pick up my new Model Y-or not.

Reactions: Resist
Somehow adding $8,000 of quality aftermarket upgrades REDUCED the total car value by 60%.
Yes, 100%, and this should surprise nobody. Aftermarket mods decimate the value of your car. No company or dealer wants to buy someone else’s questionable-quality project.

If a bait and switch happened here, it’s you not disclosing the mods to Tesla when they initially valued your trade.

Reactions: jjrandorin
There are basically no aftermarket car upgrades that actually add value to any car dealer. The only place you may find them adding any value at all is in the private party sales market, where someone may value the aftermarket upgrades enough to pay a bit more for the car for them.

Dealers (all of them) usually mark the car down for aftermarket upgrades because many times they return the car to stock, to sell it.

Reactions: Resist