Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with how trade in value decreased for unexplained reason

Davidw4806

Aug 19, 2021
Detroit, Michigan
I think a lot of people are spoiled at the moment. Used car prices are at a high. But no matter what, everyone is going to only give a rough estimate sight unseen. Also, dealers have always been wildly different at their offers depending on what they are selling to you and whether they have a buyer that is wiling to take yours off their hands immediately. Tesla is no different than any other business, they will pay you what the car is worth to THEM, not you. Always shop around to other buyers before taking any trade in offer, trade ins have typically been the lowest offer of any buyer. This is not a new phenomena.

CheezyNachos

Sep 3, 2021
Wisconsin
I requested an estimate at the end of August. When I got my estimate I decided to place an order. After you place the order the site has you upload pics (front, rears, both sides, passenger interior with both seats in view, and the odometer. After that your valuation shows as pending. When my final trade valuation came back it matched the original estimate and I accepted it.

I guess what I am saying is your results will vary.

wandl

Jul 13, 2021
Dallas, TX
Like many said - shop around, Tesla doesn't re-sell these vehicles and they honestly don't care whether you trade your car in or not.
There are some tax benefits (i.e. I'm in TX and I only pay tax on the net difference between trade & vehicle purchase price) but you don't have to like it and you don't have to trade it.
Just for comparison, a neighbor who has a 2020 MYP with 6700 miles, Tesla offered $53k for it, Carmax did $57k and Carvana did $57700.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC