Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with moderation and personal attacks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Using that logic, any time there is some arbitrary amount of dead time in a thread, it's OK to merge a different thread into it if the subject matter is only broadly related. Does that really make sense?

If so, there's quite a few threads that could use the same treatment to reduce thread count.

It's not an exact science here. They are on the same topic, not just broadly related though. And yes, sometimes a new similar thread is started weeks or months later and is left alone.

Seems like MsElectric is good with the outcome. Her reply up thread to a moderator:

Not initially.

Right. Not initially. That's why I said 'with the outcome'. Whether the thread merge was a mistake or not (and you've made it clear you think it was), wasn't the point. I was only pointing out that your assertion that the merge 'only further alienates MsElectric' was ignoring her subsequent post.

Using that logic, any time there is some arbitrary amount of dead time in a thread, it's OK to merge a different thread into it if the subject matter is only broadly related. Does that really make sense?

If so, there's quite a few threads that could use the same treatment to reduce thread count.

Actually that argument wouldn't be using any logic from my post.

You took issue with the fact that the wk057 discussion had taken over the original discussion taking place in the thread. I was merely pointing out that the original discussion had already died down, and that the merging of the threads probably was not the reason the wk057 discussion then dominated.

I never suggested that a thread that had become idle should be a good candidate to have another thread merged into it.

okay guys.. now lets not start another angle or dissect a different aspect of moderation - merging of topics. You can always second guess an action taken by a moderator, you need to be in their shoes to understand.

As a moderator of this section I am locking this thread, and will stay locked for a week.

: -)

I cant belive wk057 was banned! The best poster here.

This is the internet, not a totalitarion state!

ADMIN: Get off your high horse, talk to him! I`m sure this little squabble is just that.

I'd be willing to bet 2 things:

#1 That you do not have the full facts of the situation to make a judgement call.
#2 That posts like the above do nothing to achieve their stated goal.

I will wager good money this site is run like a totalitation state!

Just made a rather funny comment under the excellent "inside the battery pack" thread about wk057 banning.
Servers being hosted by President Putin in Siberia and ADMIN could do pretty much as they pleased as long as it pleased Putin.

That simply went away, can you belive it? Must be something to do with my internet connection!

I think some accounts show up as "Banned" because the person who opened the account themselves requested that their account be "closed".
I think the admins don't delete account here, but used the "banned" feature when someone doesn't want to post anymore.
So, I think it is wrong to assume that all "banned" accounts were done because the admins were doing it on their own.
Some users ask for their own "time outs". Maybe they have a new job where they aren't allowed / permitted to post here, so they want the ability to be revoked?
Maybe they are busy with something else, and want to remove the temptation to post here? There can be a lot of different reasons why an account ends up with "Banned" status...

I will wager good money this site is run like a totalitation state!

Just made a rather funny comment under the excellent "inside the battery pack" thread about wk057banning.
Servers being hosted by President Putin in Siberia and ADMIN could do pretty much as they pleased as long as it pleased Putin.

That simply went away, can you belive it? Must be something to do with my internet connection!

curious how you reconcile the fact that this post is here criticizing the folks you're accusing of running a totalitarian state. Kind of takes the air out of your balloon, doesn't it?

The inside access and info Tesla gives this site and some of the obviously well connected members on here is nice but also leads to the inherent flaw on here. The lack of separation from TMC.com and Tesla the company. The claim of "not affiliated with Tesla Motors, Inc" I don’t really believe to be true. That sets the tone for moderation on here IMO.

I feel this is unfair. With my ownership experience, I was less than happy and seriously regretted my purchase. I had brought my concern up and it was rejected. I posted here to vent, but did so (IMO) respectfully. The thread did get some attention, some/much of which was NOT positive for Tesla. That said, at no point did I feel the moderators at TMC were making the thread difficult to run its course and hopefully, I presented my views in a respectful manner. As Doug more concisely put it...

Your point of view isn't important. Your delivery is.

This sounds like a bit of a criticism of the mods, and one that I'm not sure is at all appropriate. I think it is completely within the mods' discretion to change thread titles and merge threads as necessary. An OP having started a thread doesn't necessarily mean they should be able to dictate for all time what the thread title should be. If the mods have a good reason to merge threads and /or change a thread title, I think that is absolutely fine. I definitely don't think that is a power that in any way has been abused.

It is constructive critique, not " criticism. :wink: I have read these forums for the past few years, daily. A recurring theme, is any negativity in a thread title will usually get changed. Often I have thought...bet that thread title will be changed..and bingo ! it happens. I have had one moderator openly admit to myself (parapharasing here) that my thread title was chagned as they have to be careful of public perception of Tesla with respect to the media scanning these forums for ideas. If you have a negatively subjective thread title it has near infinitesimally greater odds of getting changed than if you have subjectively positive one (ie if the thread title is P 90 is best car ever you will not see 'alleged' inserted or question marks.

Secondly you missed my point entirely. Ms. Electric (unlike myself) takes the time to spell, punctuate, and overall write detailed posts. Hence if you change her writing, ie. the thread title, it would be more respectful to try to do it 'properly', especially after she requested it. That is my whole entire point.

So two completely unrelated threads (except for moderator critism), were merged into one, the titles changed, and the thread winds up in driving dynamics subsection.

Yes the moderators deserve some credit, for changing the tile (again) after it was pointed out that it seemed unjustly titled, and they did move it again after it was pointed out it was now in an unrelated sub-forum. If one were a skeptic however, possibly one might think they were trying to bury this thread by the aforementioned things?

I was part of the GTAT contrarian investor board. Contrary opinions there (despite the name) were silenced. People wound up losing LOTS of money, and lives were shattered as the only voices heard were the ones in power on a soapbox and yelling. Tesla gives me hope for the future. I want them to succeed, and succeed big, to give hope for the future of this planet. I feel conversion to BEV is necessary to prevent planetary harm on a mass scale.

It is my opinion, that silencing, masking, banning, rewording, or even just plain ignoring other views (even if you do not agree with them) is detrimental to that cause. I know there are occasions when mods have criticized Tesla, but lets be realistic here...most of us here while not fanboys, certainly cheer for them! As such there is bias. It's kinda like trying to be strictly objective about your kids...aint gonna happen! It is human. It is why studies are double-blinded.

Anyhow with all that said, this forum is great! Thanks to all the posters on here who have given me so much time, knowledge and information. All of your hard work is appreciated. Hopefully if the lines of communication between dissenting voices can be kept open, we all will benefit more, and history might look back at the adopiton of BEV's as a turning point in human history.

"Surveillance breeds conformity."
Glenn Greenwald

Secondly you missed my point entirely. Ms. Electric (unlike myself) takes the time to spell, punctuate, and overall write detailed posts. Hence if you change her writing, ie. the thread title, it would be more respectful to try to do it 'properly', especially after she requested it. That is my whole entire point.

I definitely agree with this. (I expect the mod that made the initial edit did it quickly, and certainly was not intentionally trying to make Ms Electric look bad, but I agree that punctuation, etc. is important.) In fact I once had a post I had made pulled out of a thread and used as the first post in a new thread that was started by a mod, with many posts after it also brought into the new thread. The mod had done this quickly, and while I don't remember the details of it now, the grammar or something of the thread title was not perfectly correct, and of course since my post was the first in the new thread, it appeared as if I had written it. The mod had left notes in the thread he was moving posts from, so I wrote him, asked for a correction to the new thread subject, explaining why I wanted it, and was quickly obliged.

All that to say again, I most definitely agree with you on that issue.

We've already made it very clear that people are only sanctioned for violations of the Forum Rules. Those sanctions may include warnings via PM, temporary bans of one week (a time-out), or in extreme cases a permanent ban may be warranted. We will not discuss the reasons for sanctions with third parties, as that would be inappropriate.

The conspiracy theories some have expressed in this thread are entirely unwarranted. We are not Tesla stooges - far from it - nor are we biased against people for their point of view. We are enforcing the Forum Rules and trying to maintain reasonable order and a civil tone. That is all.

I must say this thread is rather demoralizing for all of the volunteer moderators.

The conspiracy theories some have expressed in this thread are entirely unwarranted. We are not Tesla stooges - far from it - nor are we biased against people for their point of view. We are enforcing the Forum Rules and trying to maintain reasonable order and a civil tone. That is all.

I must say this thread is rather demoralizing for all of the volunteer moderators.

I don't think this thread should be demoralizing for the moderators. I think a lot of people expressed support and appreciation for the work you do. As for the conspiracy theories, the most recent conspiracy theorist had nine posts and joined this month. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over that.

I think it is admirable that you are concerned about what a few vocal people may be expressing in this thread, but I really don't think the forum membership in general feels anything like those members. I believe the vast majority of forum members think the mods are doing an excellent job, and just don't bother to say so. This thread, because of it's title, was going to attract people who felt otherwise, so there was going to be some bias inherent in it.

Basically...don't sweat it! You guys and gals (if there are gal mods) are doing great!

Status
Not open for further replies.