TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Unhappy with moderation and personal attacks?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by MsElectric, Sep 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

I appreciate all the hard work the mods do!

2. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

#202 Auzie, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    I am sorry to hear that Mods feel demoralized. I am grateful to all Mods for their hard work to keep this place civil.

If people respected Forum rules at all times then there would be no need for moderation.

Sometimes people break the rules. If Moderators do not correct these offenses, the rules are likely to be increasingly disrespected.

Correcting someone else's behavior is unpleasant, thankless task, especially if it is done under public scrutiny. Moderators on this forum get second guessed, challenged, attacked, called names. It is quite difficult to recover from such situations, as engaging in public explanations to and fro with the (angry) attacker is often counterproductive.

Once a specific moderation is done, public discussion of the details that led to the moderation is likely to be counterproductive. It is up to the offender to contemplate their deed and to perhaps seek clarification from the moderator in PM if they wish. Other members weighing in on the topic only distracts from that contemplation as the offenders seek and often get public sympathy and support from others.

Public moderation has a downside for offenders as well. It might be humiliating, and that might make some corrections feel disproportionate to the offense. The public humiliation is likely to trigger defense and denial in the offender, making it much harder for offenders to own up to their offense.

Perhaps some of this angst could be reduced if the moderation process is kept private just between the moderator and the offenders whenever possible. Placing posts in Snippiness can not be kept private, but I do not see any upside in making member's time out visible to public.

Current de facto escalation process for people unhappy with the moderation is to start a thread to publicly rehash the issues. The downside of such process is evident in this thread and summed up in Doug_G post. The alternative to this would be to have more formal escalation process with more control over it.

3. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Well-Known Member

Gotta chime in and agree on the grateful for mods points. I just need to remember this the next time I deserve a timeout myself :)

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Agreed. The Mods to a great job.

In addition, this forum is really tame compared to some others (in particular, programming forums/mailing lists). Even the worst posts (not counting the trolling ones, which are a separate category) aren't that bad if you stop to think about the lack of vocal or body language cues which would have made the actual words much less offensive.

5. tomas

tomas Only partially psycho

Go mods! Don't be demoralized by a handful of people, even though frequency and size of posts may give them big footprint.

6. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Well-Known Member

Is bigger really better?

7. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

I moderated a Volvo site for years, it was a huge PITA......constant arguing, threats etc.....it was fun for the first month. This is the only site that I have seen that has "snippiness" thread or puts "banned" on peoples profile... Seems like a childish way to humiliate people.

8. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I disagree. Moving to snippiness keeps the tone of the thread civil, while not appearing like some sites to just "disappear" the post(s). They are still accessible for viewing so that everyone can see what was moved. To me, this provides a level of transparency. Perhaps you're saying you prefer a different name for the thread - something like "civilly challenged" or less harsh?

It's certainly not the first place I've seen the status of 'Banned'.

9. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

LMAO

Personally I don't care what it's called, this is not my site or my rules. Clearly the people or person that runs this site feels it works for them somore power to them.

10. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Your concern. It's noted...

#210 SW2Fiddler, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    I have to say I am hugely disappointed...

...that the forum sw does not have a "donate Pizza to Moderators" button!
    Or "donate smoked salmon" for when I feel particularly grateful!

I get hours of entertainment and kilo-dollars worth of valuable, actionable knowledge, nay wisdom from this forum. While the content comes by and large from members, it is usable due to being kept organized by the unpaid, oft-maligned moderation team. And the team "having my back" when readers like me are lumped into a (six-letter f-word) category is icing on the free cake.

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

How did you handle the arguing and threats there?

12. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

we would only step in if threats started, normally heated arguments putter out. Minor threats, suspension. Major threats banned. Totally different crowd though....more 16 to 27 year olds.

13. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Sorry you guys are dealing with this and you know I empathize.

It's hard for people to adequately evaluate when they simply don't have all the facts. Kudos to the mod team for not outing the private interactions that I know have gone on (from when I was still moderating) with some forum members, even while they publicly make it sound like 'no warning!' It's hard to remain stoic and not defend. So major props to the entire moderator team for the professionalism displayed throughout this thread.

14. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I agree with all that you are saying Bonnie, but I would like to point out that the "warning" issue is very important. Any kind of punishment has to be given after a "warning" IMO (unless you are doing something very bad of course which will never happen on TMC of course).

15. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

With reference to my previous post in this thread pointing out the importance of the "warning" given before the punishment I ask to the Admin to reconsider my situation of being under Moderation for life because I didn't get any warning before of the punishment.

16. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I think for very personal, specific requests like the above you'd be best served writing to the admin privately, rather than airing your dirty laundry in public. If I were the admins and/or mods, seeing something like this in public would just irk me, and would make me less likely to want to do what you are requesting. If you're lucky, they'll have a more charitable view towards it than I would, but even so, for stuff like this private just seems better than public.

17. CatB

CatB Member

Just wanted to tell all the mods, and mods emeritus, that I appreciate all you do, am sorry that you have the unfun job of dealing with these kinds of disagreements, and trust that you all are acting in good faith on the rules - no need to defend your good, hard work here.
    you all make this a great place to interact and learn

18. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Ok you are right. Think that I overacted because I feel frustrated for this situation. Didn't expect this to happen.

19. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

#219 Electroman, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2015
    Snippiness thread is an amazing way to handle brawny stuff , and whoever thought of that kudos to them.

20. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

I liked "Snappiness" better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.