TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Unhappy with moderation and personal attacks?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by MsElectric, Sep 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johan

Johan Funds for M3 secured. Contingent on wife aproval.

I remember the good ol days where you could keep posting in Snippiness after the argument was moved there :)

I think the moderation on this site is very consistent and transparent, even though I personally could tolerate one or two more notches of heated debate, puns and irony. I'm not complaining though- like I said the mods are doing a great job and most importantly are fair.

2. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Best moderated - bar none !

3. JMG

JMG Member

Typically I would stay out of such drama filled threads, but I will offer this:

1) Thanks to the owners/moderators of this site. That is a job I would not want.

and

2) Simple: if it were not for TMC, there would not be a Model S in my garage right now. I knew zero about Tesla until I ran across an article. But I know the real way to understand an issue is to hear from enthusiasts directly. I came to this very forum and devoured information. Over the course of about 72hrs I made my decision to place an order. So, a former Chevy Tahoe driver with NO interest or even knowledge of EVs, Tesla, etc....is now a Model S owner and Tesla Evangelist who has directly impacted and/or informed close to 100 people in my immediate vicinity who were previously just as ignorant as I was.

So, kudos and thumbs up to the TMC moderators. Keep doing what you are doing. The silent majority thanks you.

4. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Well-Known Member

5. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

Clearest sign you made a bad call as an admin/mod : when you can't face polite questions on your decisions without getting irked.

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Thats a bit unfair of you - I can think of a number of situations where I would not want a public discussion of a decision. Not speaking to the current situation, but just in general, I'd not want to have to publicly call the questioner's recollection of facts into question, I'd not want to out the questioner's behavior-to-date publicly, and I'd tire quickly of having to explain a situation to someone who isn't part of the issue.

Your comment assumes the questioner is being polite and truthful about history/actions & puts the admin/mod in a position of publicly defending what is typically a complex decision to any passerby who wants to jump in on the conversation.

I have no issue with publicly stated, publicly discussed rules.

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

#227 FlasherZ, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    So this morning I was greeted with a great example of where a moderator has perhaps gone a bit too far. I should note that 99% of the time, I agree with most moderators' actions, so to me there isn't a big problem needing a big correction, but I do want to point out that there are examples where things have gone too far. I would be fine with that, except for some there doesn't seem to be room for acknowledgement that mistakes are made and some tend to double down when challenged.

Yesterday, I looked at Snippiness and saw a few posts about Elon Musk appear that didn't seem Snippy at all. I thought it was weird, but whatever. Last night I, saw that AnOutsider note that he meant to move them to the Elon Musk thread instead. So given all of the craziness here around moderating and banning and what-not, I post -- AS A JOKE, WITH A SMILEY -- this post:

Capture.PNG

And I see a reputation comment pop up this morning:

Capture2.PNG

Now this was a bit over the line. It was a joke, and if a moderator can't tell that from my tenure and my style, I have to wonder what is going on. Now that said, over the years I've been here, he has (by far) been the moderator who has more of an issue with my posts than anything.

EDIT: now in a private message he tells me that it's part of the anti-moderator crap - when it was CLEARLY a joke. It didn't become "anti-moderator" until he sent me negative rep, which I can't do back. If moderators can't have the skin, they don't deserve to be moderators. Period.

8. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Actually, the Moderator logs show those posts went to the Elon Musk thread. Possibly some other posts went to snipininess? Is it still funny when it's untrue?

9. FlasherZ

#229 FlasherZ, Sep 29, 2015
    Last night, I checked before I posted it -- the "bro-awesome" post was still in snippiness. Perhaps the correction of the move eliminated the log that moved it to snippiness. It was even admitted as such in a PM from AnOutsider:

It *was* there, I confirmed it before I posted, Doug; I'm not lying, misrepresenting, or misunderstanding. These three were still in snippiness as of the moment I posted (pic from the Elon Musk thread where they settled after they moved last night):

Capture.PNG

10. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

I also saw the Musk clip in "snippiness". It stuck in my mind as I couldn't see why it would be there. It must have been moved again afterwards, as it isn't there now. (I read the snippiness section for the entertainment value).

11. doug

All I can say is that the logs don't reflect that. So you can understand an mod not being happy about be accused of something he didn't do. I also wouldn't put much importance on "reputation".

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

As the subject, I'll chime in here. The posts I referenced moving were not the video discussed above. I won't speculate on that post moving, but the three posts I personally moved (and posted about moving) are here: Elon Musk - Page 95

I won't speak for FlasherZ, but I did take him posting publicly (instead of just leaving it reported) as a jab given a string of recent interactions. However, if that is not what was intended, I can accept that and apologize for the negative rep (which I believe doug can remove).

13. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Just as a supportive data point, I saw them there as well. I assumed they were "en route" via some moderation channels at the time.

14. tomas

tomas Only partially psycho

Not relevant any more re where posts travelled since adversaries have more or less kissed and made up.

15. FlasherZ

#235 FlasherZ, Sep 29, 2015
    Given that a) I checked first and b) others have reported they saw those three posts in Snippiness (Nevek's post upthread plus the two people who in postive rep to me said they saw them too), I think we can now conclude that the logs cannot be trusted.

I specifically checked; I found it weird they were there because they weren't Snippy. I wouldn't have reported and posted if I didn't find them in the Snippiness thread, and I don't have time to construct some scheme to accuse moderators of moving posts to the wrong threads. You're calling me and others liars if you say that the posts weren't in snippiness - so are you calling me a liar? EDIT: I imagine it was a simple mistake (whether a programmed muscle memory since Snippiness is where a lot of excised posts move, a cut-paste miss due to window focus, or a vBulletin implementation that has suddenly grown AI capability and assumed replies to the post might be snippy), so a simple joke was in order.

I don't put importance on the reputation system, but there is an underlying intent in the message to me. So while I don't care about the green bars (for all I care, reset it), I do care about the intent.

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I think the database glitched or something and a few posts went into Snippiness that were clearly intended for Elon Musk. I spotted them last night and moved them to Elon Musk. Hopefully I got everything.

17. FlasherZ

#237 FlasherZ, Sep 29, 2015
    Thank you, Doug. Like I said, it's not a big deal. Given all the hullabaloo and punchy nature of people anxiously awaiting 7.0 and Model X and Autopilot and Ludicrous updates lately (reminds me of the July-October period in 2012, just cranked to 11), it was just a bit of comic relief. I apologized to AO for leaving him with that impression, and he has apologized upthread as well. I still think that the balance is occasionally off, but it's not a frequent occurrence and on the whole, things are working.

18. doug

That's a leap. I simply said that's not what's reflected in the logs. In case you can't tell, this software is held together with spit and bailing wire.

19. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

LMAO.......that was awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

I should have kept reading before my previous post.

You and Bonnie are both hilarious.

20. smac

smac Active Member

Where did FlasherZ's last post go?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.