Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with phantom braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We went on a 1200 mile journey recently in our June 2021 M3 SR+ mostly on dual carriageways in Scotland and motorways in England. I have to say the car was much better on the motorways, it had a few hesitations but nothing serious. On dual carriageways it still gets confused by vehicles at junctions. So I am a lot happier as we can now drive long distances on TACC, we don’t bother with autopilot. TACC is unusable in an urban environment.

We got rid of our model 3SR+ because TACC was too unreliable to use. We had too many phantom braking incidents which only got worse when vision only came in. It is a shame as we really liked the car. The replacement car, a diesel Honda Civic has ACC that works perfectly on minor roads, in town or on motorways. The Honda cockpit instrument cluster is also very good with all the required information right in front of you. Also the blind spot detection of the Honda is on the wing mirrors so far better than the Tesla. The final nail for the Tesla was the price hike for supercharging and the change to vision only for TACC. TACC being a beta product is not robust enough for routine use.

We got rid of our model 3SR+ because TACC was too unreliable to use. We had too many phantom braking incidents which only got worse when vision only came in. It is a shame as we really liked the car. The replacement car, a diesel Honda Civic has ACC that works perfectly on minor roads, in town or on motorways. The Honda cockpit instrument cluster is also very good with all the required information right in front of you. Also the blind spot detection of the Honda is on the wing mirrors so far better than the Tesla. The final nail for the Tesla was the price hike for supercharging and the change to vision only for TACC. TACC being a beta product is not robust enough for routine use.
Imagine driving a Honda Civic with diesel, lol. I hope they improve the vision only systems...

two entirely different cars, you either want to drive electric or gas but if you use tacc so much then you realize there isn't any car out there that has a perfect autopilot system. They all have their flaws at the end of the day.
I guess it is more about engineering and sales. Honda is an engineering company and Tesla appears to be sales orientated. Unfortunately the hype surrounding self driving turns out to be just that.